Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Shop Computer Dying

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Shop Computer Dying
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Author's Homepage   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, it's gonna die soon. Got clicking noises plus it even told me to back up everything cause it's gonna die. But I just got a refurbished HP with Windows 7. And I still have a extra in the closet. I think I might by two more computers with Windows 7. I like my old CorelDrawX4. I will try my hardest not to succumb to online subscriptions. In 15 years from now, I'll have my old computers running happily, CorelDraw X4 and older Photoshop programs to work with. My working computers will not hooked up to the internet.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3947 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Dish
Visitor
Member # 10782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Dish   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Dish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alicia if you like those old programs you might want to look into creating an image of the computer so that you could create a virtual machine and run them on a newer computer. my recommendation would be find someone in your area to do this for you!

--------------------
Brian
Vinyl Signs
Pittsburgh, PA.

Posts: 180 | From: Pgh., PA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ALicia; Several months ago I thought my old W7 computer was going. I (by my son) built a new whoop-ti-do new one with W10. I use FLexi 8.6 and I explored ways to set up an image on the computer to host Flexi. I was told by Flexi that it (8.6) would not work in a 64 bit environment. At the same time my plotter got bad and I bought a new Graphtec which amazingly enough comes with a copy of Flexi 12. I installed all of that and everything was fine except that there are several things missing from the level of Flexi 12 that I was given with the plotter.
We were going to continue setting up the image thing and son sez, lets just try it. Bam! Flexi 8.6 sets up on W10 with no problem so now I have both.
I still don't understand. Something about the W10 set-up, it has the ability to host 32 bit programs. Several smart people said it wouldn't work...but it does. Hope you have your old disks and passwords..that's all it took.
Now I'm ready to roll...but wait, there's no work. Jer in Turlock

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Posts: 231 | From: Turlock, CA 95380, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Author's Homepage   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brian, you lost me with the Virtual Machine.
Gerald, CorelDrawX4 will not work with Windows 10.
Even my Video editing program, CorelStudio whatever, will not work on Windows 10. I have three working computers. None of them are hooked up to the internet. One in the "Inside the house" office, one for my ShopBot (Outisde Little Shop) and the main one in my regular shop, next to my plotter. No printers on the outside computers. What for? If customers want a copy of the artwork to get the wife's approval, they could take a picture off the monitor. I run a very basic operation, low budget but with great results.
And I don't have a SmartPhone, just a Flip Phone.

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Posts: 3947 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Dish
Visitor
Member # 10782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Dish   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Dish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alicia a virtual machine would be the old computer hardware and software running in a virtual environment. You use a new computer with new OS and load a virtual machine software then you can run you old computer on the new computer, they usually run better. It's just like running any program then you start your old OS and you have everything that was
on your old PC now on the new one, should also be able to have it output/drive all of your equipment.

--------------------
Brian
Vinyl Signs
Pittsburgh, PA.

Posts: 180 | From: Pgh., PA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my next lifetime I will buy MAC computers. Win 10 is a nightmare if you are on a network.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1290 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im glad to see Im not the only one still rocking windows 7 with flexi 10 and illustrator cs5. im avoiding the subscriptions like the plaque (no pun intended)

IMO the latest and greatest is not always the best

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2036 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About 7 or 8 years ago I had The Plotter Doctor, Jim, In L.A. build a computer for me that would run my Gerber Edge and old plotter. It has Widows XP and is not connected to the internet. It has Gerber Omega 2.6, Illustrator and Photoshop CS3. He also loaded other programs like Corel Draw, Adobe acrobat etc, I thought I would never need, but have found occasional use for.

I don't even want to know what the newer versions do. I'm still learning tools in these old programs. It does everything I need to do. I hope it keeps on working. If it dies I hope it gives me some notice first.

[ June 27, 2020, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: Chuck Peterson ]

--------------------
Chuck Peterson Designs
San Diego, CA

Posts: 1074 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

In my closet, I have two Computer, Windows 7, for when my other computers, 3 of them, die out. The one I'm using for the internet does have Windows 10, but it's just for the internet. I have one in the home office, one in the shop and one running my ShopBot, all Windows 7. May I become the Amish of the computer world.

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!