Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Block outside wall signage

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Block outside wall signage
Diana Lynn Wentzel
Visitor
Member # 11644

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diana Lynn Wentzel   Email Diana Lynn Wentzel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am asking for the going rate to do a 6.75 ft x 20 ft piece of outdoor wall signage on a customer's building. Thank you.

--------------------
Diana Lynn Wentzel
AwesomeAir
814 S. Home Avenue
Kokomo, Indiana 46901

Posts: 5 | From: Kokomo, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you mean a painted wall sign?

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diana Lynn Wentzel
Visitor
Member # 11644

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diana Lynn Wentzel   Email Diana Lynn Wentzel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tes

--------------------
Diana Lynn Wentzel
AwesomeAir
814 S. Home Avenue
Kokomo, Indiana 46901

Posts: 5 | From: Kokomo, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diana Lynn Wentzel
Visitor
Member # 11644

Yes. I have painted two good primer coats, the surface on the building is block. 6.75 ft x 20 ft

--------------------
Diana Lynn Wentzel
AwesomeAir
814 S. Home Avenue
Kokomo, Indiana 46901

Sal Cabrera
Visitor
Member # 1236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sal Cabrera   Author's Homepage   Email Sal Cabrera   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It depends of the complex of what are you going to paint on it, If I would paint a brick wall that needs to be primed and the layout is just letters may be two colors and I do no need to rent any lifter or scaffold , I will charge $25 sq. but that is just me, But If you need to rent any of the above I will add up the cost and time.

Hope this helps

--------------------
Sal Cabrera
Signs By Sal
New Freedom , PA

The goal of Yesterday will be the Stating Point of Tomorrow!

Posts: 686 | From: New Freedom , PA US | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, what Sal said. It could be as easy as a big red Coke Cola sign or very complex lettering with outlines, shades, not to mention a illustation. So, to give you a good idea,,,,,you might want to fiqure about $800.00 to $1000.00 per day,,,,,a long Walldog day. Even if you are at the job for just four hours, there is the time you spend on design, patterns, materials, getting your equipment loaded on your vehicle and other job related issues. And if you carry your own liability insurance, you gonna have to tack on a charge for that.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Diana,

First of all,there is no such thing as a going rate in the world of hand painted signs.

However, if I were pricing this project, I would adhere to the following variables, after having determined how much is my shop hour or personal hour worth, before I give out a price to the customer:

1 - How far do you have to drive to the job site and back to your shop? ( Consider the travelling time spent, both ways, plus gas )

2 - How high, from the ground level, are you going to be working on the sign?

3 - Are you going to need to use one ladder or two ladders with a plank, or scaffolding, or a lift?

4 - Do you own the equipment that you would need to accomplish this task?.... or are you going to rent it?

5 - Are you going to have a helper working with you?

6 - Are you going to make a pattern and pounce it ?.....or, are you going to project a transparency, of the art work, on the wall, using an overhead projector?.....or are you going to convert your design to the true size, on the wall, by using an architect scale ?

7 - Did you design the art work? Are you charging for the design?

8 - Are you obtaining the permit,from the city, to paint the sign, in accordance with their sign code?.......or is your customer getting the permit?

( In some cities, you have to apply for the permit, present sketches or renderings, showing the art work that is going to be painted on the wall, its size and the location of the sign, etc.......Then, fill out a form and pay a fee for the permit....Which is, usually, calculated by certain rulings contained in the sign code of the city, based on the location and the size of the sign or however they choose to calculate the fee )

9 - Have you figured out how much you will be spending in materials and/or any other item?

I guess that once you have the answers to the above variables, you will be ready to give your customer the right price.

Good luck !

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I notice that you're an Indiana resident. That said, another factor you will have to consider that's completely variable is the climate/ambiant temperature that you'll be working with. Cooler temps can affect drying times, and that alone might necessitate an additional trip to finish up. Then there's the ever-present possibility of getting "rained-out", and that can impact the time required to finish an outdoor job.

Do not ignore these possibilities because Murphy's Law has a way of coming into play when you don't account for those variables.

Best of luck, and I hope that the job will be rewarding to you.

--------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail: kjmlhenry@rogers.com

Why do I get all those on-line offers to sell me Viagara, when the only thing hardening is my arteries ?

Posts: 2684 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!