Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » How was this made?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How was this made?
Terry Whynott
Resident

Member # 1622

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Terry Whynott   Email Terry Whynott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone!

This one has me baffled. I have a large neon clock with a similar base to the sign shown below but it's missing the glass advertising piece. I'd like to make a reproduction glass for it making it look aged similar to this one.

I can't wrap my head around how this was made taking into consideration how the sign has aged. I would think the black went down first, then the white and then the red. If that was the case, how would the black and white have faded/disappeared to expose the red?? It doesn't make sense to me. Someone on Facebook just asked if perhaps it was two pieces- the sign with a piece of glass in front but it still doesn't really explain the aging.

Any thoughts? [I Don t Know]

-

--------------------
Terry Whynott
Walkerton, Ontario

Posts: 1230 | From: Walkerton, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the sign (face) made in 3 pieces, as it looks like it is? Are the two end pieces metal, with a center piece of glass (or plexiglas)? Is it painted on the outside or inside of the face?

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Whynott
Resident

Member # 1622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Whynott   Email Terry Whynott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dale, it's a glass panel insert that appeared to be painted on the back of the glass. It definitely wasn't painted on the outside of the glass. I took the pic last year and the sign has since been sold so I can't go back for a closer look. [Frown]

--------------------
Terry Whynott
Walkerton, Ontario

Posts: 1230 | From: Walkerton, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lets work backwards...........
1.lay tape for the thin red lines.
2.paint the white letter from the back.
3.spray the black over the painted letters.
4.remove the thin tape in the white letters...
5. paint red.........
the aging of the paint with the red being a high pigment paint....and UV exposure is why its odd looking....you would have to know where it was sitting in relation to the sun all the years it was used.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's an internally lit sign, the order of production should have been apply mask, cut letters and inline, pull background area of mask, spray black, pull inline, spray red, pull letters, spray white. That's not the order this was done in and I would bet that when lit, those letters weren't white but either red or pink.
The aging is due to the fact that they used translucent paint to allow light to show through and the red was applied really heavy in contrast to the black and white.
The fact that the order of application was incorrect might explain the incorrect application. Backlit signs can be a real pain.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't agree Joe. If the black were sprayed over the white letters, they wouldn't light up, when the sign was lit.

I'm wondering if the red isn't painted on the inside of the glass (or red glass). Then the black and white painting done on the outside. This might allow a sign company also to make a bunch of blank signs, and then put lettering on the outside, custom done for a certain customer.?

That might explain why only the black and white are damaged....they would be more directly affected by sunlight. Look under the word "DOGS"; it looks like cracks in the black

[ November 08, 2014, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: Dale Feicke ]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you right......wasnt thinking...BACK LITE......
THEN..... i woulda taped the red lines with tape, painted the white letters.......put the black on, by filling in the whole background with black, cutting around the white....then removing the tape and adding the red........

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And " Old Vinyl " what tape would have been used on that sign which appears to be at least 20 years old?

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mask off letters and black would have been stipples to allow even transparency. red inline brushed, and the whole thing backed with white lead and oil and again stippled.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6713 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

20 years ago........they had 3M had FINE LINE GREEN TAPE)))))))

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm guessing the black and white are on the reverse of the glass and the glass is backed with a red panel. I think that is the only way that the places that have cracked would appear red, if the red paint was behind the black it would have remained on the back of the cracked paint and left a void of plain glass. But I agree that the white would appear pink.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sign was done before them newfangled computers came around.

The back would have been sprayed with GripFlex masking paint, and when dried, hand cut and weeded leaving the letters.

Next, the black would have been sprayed, then the inlines cut and weeded.

The red would be sprayed.

The letters would then be weeded out and then sprayed with white GripFlex translucent paint.

[ November 09, 2014, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: Si Allen ]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Davidson
Visitor
Member # 531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Davidson   Email Bill Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Si, you've got it right.
I learned back sprayed plexi sign painting from an old timer who worked for AdArt for yearrrrrrrrs.

When you spray GripFlex paints they are as thin as water. Your mask needs to be lacquer proof.

Is best to stand the glass in front of flouro tubes so you can see the thinness of the aplications. The widest pattern your gun will make, and plenty of air. Let each coat dry thouroughly, then wipe with a damp chamee(?). Then another light coat until you have the desired translucency or density. Spray light coates, similar to painting candy colors. Just fogged on each coat. This prevents bands of color.

*For the red, you want the density pretty darned red or it will be pink when lit with the white over it.
*For the white, just dense enough you cannot see the lamps behind the glass as hot spots.

Do this and you'll be right mate!

[ November 10, 2014, 06:33 AM: Message edited by: Bill Davidson ]

--------------------
Bill'n'Annie Davidson
Heathcote, NSW, Aus.
my Aussie wife,
a Toohey's Old,
my Holden Ute,
Retired from the rat race!

Posts: 309 | From: Heathcote, NSW, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

I still go with what I said above. I've never seen a back-sprayed lighted sign face lose its lettering like that.....and I've done a bunch of them.

This sign is old; but it's one of many, made like that, that were around for quite a few years. I just have a hard time believing the cracks in the black, under the word "DOGS" could have happened, without the cracks going thru ALL the colors.....unless it was painted on the outside.

Also, if the sign was done as Si said, and the white sprayed last, when the white disappeared from the lettering, there would be clear plex showing and not red.

I'd also add that some of these types of signs had regular incandescent bulbs, instead of fluorescent; and that would create much more heat, which may also contribute to the deterioration of the paint....maybe.

[ November 10, 2014, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: Dale Feicke ]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

Shirley Carron
Visitor
Member # 2446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shirley Carron   Email Shirley Carron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terry,
As always I might be off here but, could that be printed on clear (the red & black) using an aged effect, you know- they have all those effects you can do now in Photoshop...applied to the inside of the glass and backed up with translucent white vinyl.
"Design Panopoly" is one place that keeps sending me these 'effects' features you can buy. $99.00 gives you access to their whole library and you might be able to use it for your photography.
[I Don t Know]

--------------------
Shirley Carron
Black Sheep Designs
184 John St. N.
Arnprior,On.,Canada
shirleyc@magma.ca
613-623-7053

Posts: 503 | From: Arnprior, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shirley Carron
Visitor
Member # 2446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shirley Carron   Email Shirley Carron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On sale now for $79.00 access to all the texture packs:
http://www.designpanoply.com/panopass

--------------------
Shirley Carron
Black Sheep Designs
184 John St. N.
Arnprior,On.,Canada
shirleyc@magma.ca
613-623-7053

Posts: 503 | From: Arnprior, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm gonna side with Dale, the black is on the outside.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Whynott
Resident

Member # 1622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Whynott   Email Terry Whynott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Shirley. I know I could reproduce the general look of it but the original process still baffles me.

Dale, I do know for sure that the sign wasn't painted on the face of the glass. This was absolutely either behind glass or right on the back of the glass.

Lots of great comments and history on how these "should" have been done but none, so far, explain why this one has aged the way it has.

Thanks for all the replies!

--------------------
Terry Whynott
Walkerton, Ontario

bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go back to before tape and computers, and when it was done by hand. First the red in line would go on, then the black (solid covering lamp black japan). When dry the whole background was painted with white lead and stippled with cheese cloth and cotton to eliminate all brush marks.
Many window signs were done this way.

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donald Miner
Visitor
Member # 6472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donald Miner   Email Donald Miner       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to go with Bill Riedel on this one. That is how it was done in the early 60's, when I first got started in this wild, wonderful world of signs. I used to work with a fellow who did several of these, my job was to do the stipple work. Peace, Don

--------------------
Donald Miner
ABCO Wholesale Neon
1168 Red Hill Creek
Dobson, NC

Posts: 842 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Davidson
Visitor
Member # 531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Davidson   Email Bill Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What color is it when it's lit?
Red?

--------------------
Bill'n'Annie Davidson
Heathcote, NSW, Aus.
my Aussie wife,
a Toohey's Old,
my Holden Ute,
Retired from the rat race!

Posts: 309 | From: Heathcote, NSW, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

That's what I'm still wondering, Bill. The way it appears, the red is behind even where the lettering is faded out,leaving me to believe that, like you said, red would dominate. Even the white lettering would probably appear pink.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!