Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » been doing some research on smalts

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: been doing some research on smalts
Mark M. Kottwitz
Visitor
Member # 1764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark M. Kottwitz   Author's Homepage   Email Mark M. Kottwitz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have started to do some research on smalts, and this is what I am finding out. This is what has been read, and not tried, as of yet, but I am working on a piece right now that is going to be multi colored...

In my research, the Black Beauty does come out black, but there isn't UV protectants, so it turns to a dark gray after time. 

There is a material called Frit, which is a glass material, that comes in several different textures. Fine, Medium, and Course...This a glass material that is designed to be melted to make stained glass.

I started looking online, and found it sold on Ebay for a couple of dollars an ounce, but when you get a pound of it, your quickly up to $32 a pound.

I was directed to a place that has wholesale accounts, but for them to sell it to you, you have to buy $700 the first order, and several hundred dollars more a year. Not really feasible. 

I did fill out an application with the company prior to seeing the requirements, and the rep emailed me back, and even though they couldn't bend the buy in policy he supplied me several suppliers.

I thought I would pass them along.

www.stallingsglass.com

www.maplecityglass.com I like this site, because their site has a color swatch, and there are a lot of colors. A pound of frit is $15.95

www.howacoglass.com A pound of frit is $11 or $12 and up...depending on the color.

Just passin' on some info.

Mark

--------------------
Mark Kottwitz
Kottwitz Graphics
Ridgely, MD
www.SeeMySignWork.com
--------------------------
Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein

Posts: 746 | From: Ridgely, MD | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark; A frit is a combination of minerals mixed and fired to fusing temp and then ground. They are used in ceramics to help certain combinations of minerals in glazes that would not make it to higher temps. Frequently it involves special colors, but the color a frit is does not really show what it will be at firing temp. I would guess that they are quite stable in your intended use.

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Posts: 198 | From: Turlock, CA 95380, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're both right.
Frit: definition
A frit is a ceramic composition that has been fused in a special fusing oven, quenched to form a glass, and granulated. Frits form an important part of the batches used in compounding enamels and ceramic glazes; the purpose of this pre-fusion is to render any soluble and/or toxic components insoluble by causing them to combine with silica and other added oxides.[1] However, not all glass that is fused and quenched in water is frit, as this method of cooling down very hot glass is also widely used in glass manufacture.

According to the OED, the origin of the word "frit" dates back to 1662 and is "a calcinated mixture of sand and fluxes ready to be melted in a crucible to make glass". Nowadays, the unheated raw materials of glass making are more commonly called "glass batch".

In antiquity, frit could be crushed to make pigments or shaped to create objects. It may also have served as an intermediate material in the manufacture of raw glass. The definition of frit tends to be variable and has proved a thorny issue for scholars. In recent centuries, frits have taken on a number of roles, such as biomaterials and additives to microwave dielectric ceramics. Frit in the form of alumino-silicate can be used in glaze free continuous casting refractories.

Now that makes the definition of frit clear as pea soup.

That out of the way, Mark, are you going to order up some samples to see what it looks like? I would think that glass colored for stained glass would have a very permanent color and should hold up very well. And this frit is at almost half the cost of smalts, except for black. For some reason black frit is more than double the price of black smalts. Sure wish there was a way to do accelerated weather testing on this stuff.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark M. Kottwitz
Visitor
Member # 1764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark M. Kottwitz   Author's Homepage   Email Mark M. Kottwitz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Sherby:

That out of the way, Mark, are you going to order up some samples to see what it looks like? I would think that glass colored for stained glass would have a very permanent color and should hold up very well. And this frit is at almost half the cost of smalts, except for black. For some reason black frit is more than double the price of black smalts. Sure wish there was a way to do accelerated weather testing on this stuff.

I am. I am working on a display sample with at least 6 colors... When I finish I think it will be impressive.

--------------------
Mark Kottwitz
Kottwitz Graphics
Ridgely, MD
www.SeeMySignWork.com

Posts: 746 | From: Ridgely, MD | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought black smalts and some colored from Letterhead sign supply. (One of Letterville merchants). It has been on my business sign ,facing the sun, foe 20 years. And no fading. it has been washed 1time. still looks great.
Ron Purcell. 800-531-3359. California

Diane

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1697 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's where I get my smalts from also. Great product for a great company. As far as the frit is concerned, I can't really tell from the pictures on the web pages, but it looks like the fine frit looks too fine and the medium frit looks too coarse.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Several years ago, when the site was booming, Steve and Barb did monthly drawings for some great products that were donated to the site. One month I was honored to win one of the drawings- a package of 1 lb. fine black smalts from Kristi Percell at Letterhead Sign Supply in CA.

I don't produce that type of sign, so I put the package back for use at a later date. So here's the deal: I would be happy to pass this 1 pound bag of fine black smalts on to you if you promise to put it to good use and post a photo of the finished piece.

email me your address (clantongraphics@yahoo.com) and I'll mail it out to you.

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1736 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PatRaap
Resident

Member # 4290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PatRaap   Author's Homepage   Email PatRaap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I to have some black smalts on a couple signs - and they have been out in the weathter for a few years now, and still look as great as ever.
I also use Letterhead Sign Supply....they are awesome.
Good luck

--------------------
Patricia A. Raap
Raap Signs
2615 Arthur
Coopersville, MI 49404
616-677-0158
pat@raapsigns.com

Posts: 576 | From: Coopersville, MI 49404 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark- You should be getting an early christmas present in the mail in the next few days, put it to good use and post a pic of the finished project for all of us to "ooo and ahhhh" over.

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1736 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark M. Kottwitz
Visitor
Member # 1764

Michael, cool. Thanks so much. I have a file that I drew up, and I've got a little tweaking to finish it up. I have some off cut 18 lb sign foam 4 that I had a buddy cut down to 1" thick (it was one 2" thick piece, now it's two 1" thick pieces). I am going to throw it on the cnc next Wednesday, and I am going to work on it over the thanksgiving holiday.

I will post up some progress pictures and a "step by step".

--------------------
Mark Kottwitz
Kottwitz Graphics
Ridgely, MD
www.SeeMySignWork.com

Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have made some picture frames using granulated charcoal overcoated with urethane clear. I screen the ground up Kingsbury charcoal to get a constitant size and drop over a urethane sticky area to look like smalts. A real easy solution to get the effect and the charcoal keeps black well. Since these are inside pieces, I am not concerned about the aging as a couple have stood up perfectly for ten years.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHat are you finding best for bonding your smalt to the background? I've found short life with the products that I've used in the last ten years. Holfast oil was a flop. We've mixed 1shot with varnish and tried using screen enamel instead. During my apprentice years we mixed smudge with boiled oil and white lead. Then we added bulletin color and spar varnish. We'd get it kinda thich, but still brushable to cut in the letters and fill the background. I always liked doing the outline and gilding before dropping the smalt.

[ November 21, 2014, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: Rick Sacks ]

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6715 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my smalts shop sign has been up for 18 years. black smatz. we painted the background black, let it dry. then we applied a thick coat of West Systems epoxy, heavily sprinkled on the smalts. Let it sit for 24 hours. Then dump it over onto a plastic tablecloth to collect all the excess smalts. The sign still looks good. it has only been washed 1 time.

Diane

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1697 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Len Mort
Resident

Member # 7030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Len Mort   Author's Homepage   Email Len Mort       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have signs with black beauty out in the sun and wind for over ten years with no graying or fading

--------------------
Len Mort
Signmaker1.com
11 Juniper Drive
Millbury, MA
508-865-2382
"A Good Business Sign, is A Sign of Good Business"(1957)

Posts: 811 | From: Millbury, Ma | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

I use PB Resin from Coastal enterprises. It is a slow set epoxy that accepts One Shot so you can mix your epoxy to match the color of the smalts. West System with their slowest hardener works for black smalts but it is less UV stable than PB Resin so it will darken too much for colored smalts. I've done full 4x8 and bigger backgrounds with just me and my wife in about 40 minutes. I use a needle nose bottle to lay the epoxy. It's fast and easy to lay a thin bead around letters and border edges. In big areas I flatten in out with a squeegee, then like Diane sprinkle the smalts. I lay it on heavy and will even pat it down to make sure it gets embedded well into the epoxy. Next day dump the excess, if you can, pat the back to knock off loose smalts. It lasts much longer than the old Smith's Cream in One Shot method and goes on a lot faster. If you are worried about the epoxy setting up too fast, here's a few tips. If you make a big batch, break it down into several smaller containers. The larger the volume, the faster it sets. Save all the interiors of letters like O's & P's etc. for last. You can make a fresh smaller batch for those. PB Resin will be okay if multiple batches come together on the sign if they weren't mixed with a lot of time between, but you want to keep different batches from mixing if you can. Get it on the sign as quickly as possible, then spread. 1/4 inch beads of epoxy will set way slower than a bottle full of it, so the faster you get it out of the bottle, the longer the working time.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201

Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, folks, what we used to do is paint the black outline and let it dry, wipe it with potato starch and oil size letters and gild. Polish gold and then outline with the smudge used to adhere the smalt. Can you control the outlining with resin? Is it possible to reclaim a brush after using that method? clean lines from a squeeze bottle doesn't seem possible.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6715 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

I only use this method on 3D signs.

-
Bronze smalts

-
Light Gray Smalts

When I need to use a brush I use the cheap craft store brushes and throw them away after I'm done.

[ November 23, 2014, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: Dave Sherby ]

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201

Mark M. Kottwitz
Visitor
Member # 1764

Very nice, Dave. Thanks for the insight.

--------------------
Mark Kottwitz
Kottwitz Graphics
Ridgely, MD
www.SeeMySignWork.com

Keith Jenicek
Visitor
Member # 11121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keith Jenicek   Author's Homepage   Email Keith Jenicek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rick Glawson's Guide & History...
www.artisan-signs.net/Osmalto__Smalts__History.html

--------------------
Keith Jenicek
Artisan Signs
St. Louis, MO

www.Artisan-Signs.net

Posts: 67 | From: Ballwin, Missouri | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

I used to use the method shown in Rick Glawson's guide. But as bad as One Shot has become, I'll stick to my colored epoxy method. I've seen smalts come off of One Shot in less than 10 years. No problems at all with the epoxy method.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!