Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Partners

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Partners
shon lenzo
Visitor
Member # 1364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shon lenzo   Email shon lenzo       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you think of partners in a sign biz?
What if, for example, you started an LLC
And owned sixty percent.
Someone else puts up all the money and keeps forty percent of profits.
You get a salary, or hourly, , and keep sixty percent of profits.
Profits, are what is left after paying salary, and overhead.
Good deal, yes or no?
I can see myself saying...
"I did all the work, and I am giving away X percentage of profits.....but, also have some backing to set up on a larger scale."
One time, I met a guy who had set up three floors of a building doing business repairing computers.
He told me..
"I used to do ok working out of my garage, repairing these things....then, I decided to go big.
Got this building, with its heating bill, maintenance, etc...
And employees.
Now, after all is said and done, insurance, employees, payrolls, heat bills....
I take home about what I made in the garage....
Except, it is a much bigger 'circus' I have to deal with now"
Then of course there is the other story,
where you scale up, and make a lot of money (hopefully.....)
Any thoughts on all this....
Freelancing, vs, setting up shop with partners?
I put the 'free' in freelancing in my years past,
As a wandering artist sign painter....

[ August 04, 2014, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: shon lenzo ]

--------------------
Light and Shadow
Manzanita,Oregon
shonlenzo@hotmail.com

Posts: 286 | From: Manzanita,Oregon | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you answered your own question.

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
of all the people here on letterville, how many of them are a SUCCESSFUL PARTNERSHIP???
there is your answer)))))))))))))))))

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep your overhead as low as possible; find out what kind of work that you can make good money at, and try to develop that clientele; and stay away from partners.

Simple is always the best; and partners complicate matters in a lot of ways.

[ August 05, 2014, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: Dale Feicke ]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shon lenzo
Visitor
Member # 1364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shon lenzo   Email shon lenzo       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what I thought, too..
Thanks!

--------------------
Light and Shadow
Manzanita,Oregon
shonlenzo@hotmail.com

Posts: 286 | From: Manzanita,Oregon | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My personal preference is no partnership...but when you added the phrase "wandering artist sign painter" it made me wonder a little...although "wandering artist sign painter" sounds romantic I can see situations where the alternative...a partnership...something steady and dependable... would be a better situation...your call on this...too many unknown variables that only you are privey too.

After my first year in the business...the oldest and most successful sign company in our town wanted to go into a partnership...he felt threatened by the work I was putting out...Gary is a great guy and we are friends to this day...especially since he realized that I didn't have the "killer instinct" in business that he had so feared...no doubt I would have made more money with Gary...employees, big trucks, big clients, etc...but more money has never been my first goal...one's happiness is the most important thing...and I liked creating and making stuff on my own and had work...however if your current situation is not addressing your needs that is something else to consider...I know it would have been a consideration for me.

[ August 05, 2014, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shon...I tried the "silent partner" route once and it was nice to have someone else bankrolling the setup expenses, but after 2 years of me doing all the work and him receiving 50% of the profits, I called it quits and started up on my own.

I also tried the 50/50 working partner route too...That lasted about 4 months.

Partnerships seem to have the same "lasting" statistics as marriages.

Work on your own...That way you do the work, you call the shots and you reap all of the benefits.

It worked well for me for almost 30 years (with the exception of the aformentioned partnership blips)

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh I forgot to mention a former partnership that didn't work out for me...she now lives in the house that I paid for.

[ August 05, 2014, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile] Rusty [Smile]

My Ex and I came to an amicable resolution in our divorce...

As long as I got my clothes and she got everything else, we would remain friends for life!!!!

After 33 years we are still friends!!! [I Don t Know] [I Don t Know]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vance Galliher
Visitor
Member # 581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vance Galliher   Author's Homepage   Email Vance Galliher       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hahaaa..you guys are too funny ! and I just like making stuff as well rusty

--------------------
vance galliher
springfield,or
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com

Posts: 324 | From: springfield,or. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have a "sign painter partner."
i moved here in 1998 and had a shop, so i needed someone that could go out to locations and paint while i stayed in the shop. was introduced to a guy named mark. he was his own sign painter. he agreed to work WITH ME......and we still worked for ourselves.
some jobs he would bring to me, i would do as my own, others he brought, i would act as his backup.
some jobs we split. we never have a problem with this arrangement. we discuss the layouts, how its done, how much is my responsibility and how much is his.... and we divide the monies accordingly.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

I can only imagine what being in business with Joe would be like...If I relocated to Pensacola and went into business with Old Paint...would that best be described as a "partnership" or a "partnershi#".(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

You know sometimes you just have to get down on their level to be understood.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

rusty.......i go there.......with every reply i send to you......oh the humanity)))))

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Nice one OP...I know when I've been had.)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

[ August 06, 2014, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

shon lenzo
Visitor
Member # 1364

Haha....those are some good responses!
I too have always valued my time more than money.
My freedom more than a regular job.
Being a sign painter in Hawaii, for a couple of years
it was extra excellent to set my own hours.
Things are ok as they are.
One thing I realized in the early years, though,
Is that without money, you are only so free.
Choices are limited.
So, to some extent, for my time to be quality time,
I have to spend some time working.
Which is great if you enjoy what you do.
Sometimes, I do get tired of signs.
My artistic ambitions were so
'fine art and illustration' oriented originally.
I am sure I could do some truly incredible impressionist painting now, having this kind of control of the brush strokes.
Every time I do some other kind of work for an hourly wage
(Which has been quite a while ago now)
I realize how much more I really dislike regular type work
( for other people, doing my own stuff is different)
And that doing signs is like a huge party in comparison.
I feel like I want to feel, with no bs,
Turn up the music, and produce some high quality work.
It is so much better than having a regular job,
I wouldn't even consider that now unless absolutely necessary.

[ August 06, 2014, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: shon lenzo ]

--------------------
Light and Shadow
Manzanita,Oregon
shonlenzo@hotmail.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!