Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Smoothie

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Smoothie
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems that the Smoothie additive is no longer available. Perhaps that's just in California.
What are you guys using to accomplish the elimination of fish eye with your enamels?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cal Trauter
Visitor
Member # 10938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cal Trauter   Email Cal Trauter       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Rick,
Check this out by Steve Kafka.
http://stevekafka.com/product/smooth-stroke-4-oz/
No more worries.
And tell him I referred you.

[ May 28, 2014, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: Cal Trauter ]

--------------------
Cal Trauter
Raven Sign Company
Summerland BC
https://www.facebook.com/RavenSignCompany

Posts: 97 | From: Summerland BC | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BAD STUFF...........once you expose your shop to it...........you will need it every time you paint.

[ May 29, 2014, 01:02 AM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's he suppose to do, just keep dealing with fish eye? Might as well say don't use quills, once you start you'll have to clean them every time you paint. If he's getting fish eye, the shop is exposed to some form of silicone already. He's looking for solutions.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
as a auto body fender repair man......there are many ways to ELIMINATE fish eye, rather then using that stuff. i lettered stock cars for years at the owners garages. not being pro painters....they saw a little fish eye, rather then wipe the area with a SILICONE REMOVER... and re-spray, they opt for smoothie. iam lettering with my 1 SHOT, and everytime try to lay a line.......fish eye...BECAUSE ITS IN THE UNDER PAINT and the air in that shop. couple drops of lacquer thinner in my 1-SHOT stops it. doing this to 1 shot, makes it not last long....but hey THEY USE THE SMOOTHIE, i just do what i have to NOT TO USE IT.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder how Kafka's stuff is different than Smoothie? I found a few places that still sell it, but not in the 1 oz. eyedropper bottles anymore. Seems like one of those lasts me 15 years. Guess I don't use much of it Joe.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

once you put in the paint, and put a brush in it.......the stuff is now in the brush..no matter how well you clean it.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Len Mort
Resident

Member # 7030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Len Mort   Author's Homepage   Email Len Mort       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have use smoothie for many years since 1957 and have never had a problem with contamination of my shop with the product lettering or spraying and I'm an a olde body shop fender and paint man, great product as it also gives better gloss.

--------------------
Len Mort
Signmaker1.com
11 Juniper Drive
Millbury, MA
508-865-2382
"A Good Business Sign, is A Sign of Good Business"(1957)

Posts: 811 | From: Millbury, Ma | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Len Mort
Resident

Member # 7030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Len Mort   Author's Homepage   Email Len Mort       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smoothie is available at TCPglobal.com

--------------------
Len Mort
Signmaker1.com
11 Juniper Drive
Millbury, MA
508-865-2382
"A Good Business Sign, is A Sign of Good Business"(1957)

Posts: 811 | From: Millbury, Ma | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still using the same bottle I bought back in '72. There isn't much left but there isn't much left in me either. I only need it a few times a year. Fisheye problems aren't as common as they once were. Most body shops around here used them on everything they painted in the seventies. The newer paint systems don't seem to require them. I've never had a problem with it staying in the brush.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!