Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » SHOP LAYOUT

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SHOP LAYOUT
Lynda Yoder
Resident

Member # 7340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynda Yoder   Email Lynda Yoder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone!
We are building a new shop & of course, we want the perfect floor plan. Is there such a thing?
The building is 32' x 48' with 16' ceiling. So exciting!
The one side will have to be open for trucks.
This is a new adventure for us as we are relocating, also building a new home!

--------------------
Lynda Yoder Wayne
Yoder Signs & Designs
4735 List Rd
Grass Lake, MI

Posts: 154 | From: Grass Lake, MI | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i built a 24' X 30' with 16 ft high. all metal commercial grade, 140 MPH wind load, insulated.
i did opening on all sides as iam in florida and when its nice i can get air flow from any direction.
main overhead door centered on the 30' side is a 10' x 12' tall. can get anything i want in that door. only windows....is the 4' x 12' polycarbonate clear panels on the tallest part of the back wall(south)winter it gets sunheat and light, summer light only.
far 24' has an 8'x 8' rollup. back 30' wall has a set of 3 ft double doors(centered)...no exterior hardware, so it can only be opened from the inside. the near 24' has a set of std 80" x 36" double doors, set to front wall. i added a 8'x 24' deck on one end of shop, increasing the sq ft floor space fronm 720 sf to 912 sf. the floor is covered with a 2 part epoxy, 100% solids, self leveling paint.shines like its wet. CAUTION...if this floor get water on it, it becomes an ice skating rink))))))))only drawback. but it cleans with a water hose and squeegee...and stays clean.
i did my own electric. 220V 200 amp separate meter
with i think 25-30 slots for breakers. i put 4 gang plug in receptacles every 10 ft....works out to like 12-16 oulets on each wall)))) all on 20 amp breakers. just added a sink and water last November. i have a REZNOR 30K BTU suspended heater running off propane, and just bought a 25,000 btu window unit A/C, which i need to install. as for bathrooms....house is 30-40 ft from shop. total monies was 25k, 8500 for metal building, 2000 for concrete, I SET THE FORMS, set the anchor bolts, erected all the steel, and covered with insulation and sheeting. so i had no cost for the erection, other then the concrete.
[IMG]  - [/IMG]
[IMG]  - [/IMG]
 -
[IMG]  - [/IMG]
 -
[IMG]  - [/IMG]
[IMG]  - [/IMG]

[ April 20, 2014, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marty Happy
Resident

Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marty Happy   Author's Homepage   Email Marty Happy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Put everything on castor wheels because no matter how much space you have it always seems like you have to move something to make more room for a project even if it's temporary.

--------------------
Happy Signing...... Marty

M.F. (Marty) Happy
Signmaker Since 1974
Happy Ad Sign & Design
Regina SK, Canada S4N 5K4
306-789-9567
happyad@sasktel.net
www.happyad.ca

Get Happy & Get Noticed!

Posts: 773 | From: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly Marty.... Wheels on everything...

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda Yoder
Resident

Member # 7340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynda Yoder   Email Lynda Yoder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you...everything is on wheels so far...we are down sizing from the other shop...I've been pretty spoiled...needing to petition off an area for my printer, vinyl & office area...I think we need a 12' x 34' area to get our "no dust allowed" stuff in. 54" printer, plotter, laminator, computer work area, vinyl racks, library, show area, drawing board(20' now), application table, hand painting work station, t-shirt & hat platen station...we will want water run in & possibly a bathroom.
We have a panel saw, air compressor, ban saw, grinder, lg. Tool box, drill press...can see us running out of room. Lots of ladders & stages plus need an area to store sheet goods.

--------------------
Lynda Yoder Wayne
Yoder Signs & Designs
4735 List Rd
Grass Lake, MI

Posts: 154 | From: Grass Lake, MI | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda Yoder
Resident

Member # 7340

So nice & clean, Joe!

--------------------
Lynda Yoder Wayne
Yoder Signs & Designs
4735 List Rd
Grass Lake, MI

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that was the day AFTER CLEANING)))))))) dont stay that way long....hahahahahahahahaha

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Designing and building your own shop is always exciting. We built our dream shop about ten years ago.

Our shop is at the back of our property at the end of a 350 foot driveway. We didn't want to look out at a steel building but rather have it blend into the landscape and style of our yard. So it is fully themed to match our house (which came nine years later)
Here's the outside of the shop viewed from the house
 -

The main part of the shop is 32 x 48 with one big door in the middle. Paint happens at one end and welding on the other. The middle part is for assembly of our projects. It works well. The router room is off the back and measures 20 x 24 Since we store out HDU here as well this area is too small making it necessary to be considering another addition off the back which would measure 24 x 32

Paint area
 -
 -

Assembly area looking towards the metal storage/welding area
 -

We have a bathroom and small storage area off the side 10 x 15 plus my office/library which measures 20 x 30 and has a tall vaulted ceiling.

Library
 -
Studio desk
 -

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Windows! I love natural light in the shop. I have 14 windows,,,,but I still can't find a razor blade when I need one.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3814 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda Yoder
Resident

Member # 7340

Very beautiful, Dan! I'm with you, Alicia. I like windows too!

--------------------
Lynda Yoder Wayne
Yoder Signs & Designs
4735 List Rd
Grass Lake, MI

Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The layout depends on the type of work that you do. Define the tasks that require a location and follow the path from when supplies com in to where the sign goes out. You don't need to keep bumping into yourself. I like a closed room for sawdust that is sealed off from paint. I need a place to do vinyl when there is a big truck in the bay. I need access to a phone from many locations. Put adequate wiring in the walls for phones, computers and a blazing sound system. I made prints of the shop layout and used colored markers to follow the paths from place to place and put tables where the paths didn't cross, and made certain there was a direct path from everywhere to the bathroom/washroom.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6713 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

my vinyl and computer are in the house. as iam in florida, most days are nice and sunny. few times i have had to put a vehicle in the shop to hang vinyl. i do most of this...at the house. i have a 4ft X 8 ft easel set up in the car port, for applying vinyl to boards/banners. shop is mostly PAINT WORK. either panels or lettering something with paint. most of the panels i paint are done with SPRAY GUN and automotive paints. and i spray these outside of the shop.........this is how i deal with 4' x 8' panels i have to store. follow the rope and i have a boat winch bolted to the wallwhich lets this rack down and back up. i also have a 4' x8' easle in the shop. [IMG]  - [/IMG]
[IMG]  - [/IMG]
[IMG]  - [/IMG]

[ April 21, 2014, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When we remodeled our office and shop a few years ago, I moved all the plugs to 3-1/2' above floor level so that I wouldn't be digging under desks and benches to plug things in. I also made every outlet a quad outlet and put them every few feet. I also strung many CAT5 outlets for plugging computers into. Now, if I could just move a giant mountain to sit outside my office window like Dan was able to do...

Edited to add:
Rick's comment about the type of work you do has a great bearing on how you set things up. You want a natural flow to your work. Our market has changed since I remodeled and I will be be doing some adjustments soon to reflect the new realities.

As has also been mentioned, the wheel is a wonderful invention. Making things mobile effectively doubles the size of your shop.

[ April 21, 2014, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: David Harding ]

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wheels/casters have been mentioned...BUT sometimes you want things to be movable and sometimes you want them to stay where they are. Use lockable casters.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of my work tables are MDO or similar, set-up on saw horses. They're up and in place, when and where I need them. Or they're stacked against a wall, when they're not used...out of the way.

Tables on wheels are great; but can still get in your way, depending on the type of work.......

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a sketch of how mine is laid out.

-

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda Yoder
Resident

Member # 7340

Very nice, Wayne.
I looked in the archives for shop ideas but the pictures are canceled.
They started the building yesterday! I am as excited about this as I am the house!

--------------------
Lynda Yoder Wayne
Yoder Signs & Designs
4735 List Rd
Grass Lake, MI

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!