Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » It Ain't dried yet,,,size

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: It Ain't dried yet,,,size
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last nite in a haste, I did some aluminun leaf stripes on a Harley. I brushed on the Ronan size, let is tack up and then apply the leaf. But when I try to spin it, I realized the size wasn't quite dry enough. Should I,,,,
1. Let it dry for 12 hours then re-spin.
2. Wipe it all off and do it again,,yikes!
The shop temp is about 55 degrees. I got the door open because I also have a log truck in there.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3813 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got any Wunda size, works well on aluminum leaf

[ April 06, 2014, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: Joey Madden ]

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Joey, I don't really like the Wonda size. When you tape it off, it seems to seap out all over. If you hand letter, you can't see the holidays, and if you go back and give it a second stroke or pick up a run, it gets thick in that area. Plus it kinda ruins brushes. I might be using the wrong kind of brushes. I couldn't imagine doing any scrolls with it. So I just stick to what I know. But I must say, if it goes on right, it really is nice to guild over. But if it goes on wrong and you have to remove it, it's a biotch to remove. At least with Ronan, just a quick wipe with mineral spirits and it's off. I have heard that if you add a bit of water to it, you don't get as many brush strokes showing up in it.

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Posts: 3813 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wipe and redo, I never had any luck waiting for the size to dry once leaf was applied. Somebody once told me that once the leaf is applied, it's cut off from the air and that's as dry as it would ever get.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with George, Alicia. Once the leaf's on, the size is sealed in, and it probably won't "dry".

Since it's aluminum leaf, it's thicker and will seal better. You don't really have a huge investment in it anyway, other than your time, of course. But I think you're just inviting more of a mess, by fooling with it.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my late age Alicia, I carry books with me when I'm doing vehicle leaf work and mentioned wunda size because John Hunnicane says it works well with Aluminum leaf, even shows pictures [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Okay, today, 34 hours later, it be dry. So when I get back from doing some truck and trailer lettering, I'm gonna start spinning it.

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Ohhhhhhh, I got back from the truck/trailer job. Had some dinner then jumped into the shop to spin the leaf. No spin, I hit it harder, no spin. I grabbed my 18 volt screw gun, put a spinner on it, hit the stripe,,,,no spin. Maybe just a little bit of a spin, but not like it should look. Back onto the tanks,,,I hit a wet spot and all of hell broke lose in my head. I got so mad, I grabbed the laquere thinner and you know what I did. So tomorrow I will start all over again. And this time I will use Wunda size,,,maybe. Do a test first.

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is Wunda size, water based?
How quickly does it go off, or what's its window like?

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Yes, Wunda size is water based and smells like Elmers glue...

5 minutes

--------------------

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alicia...you've got to blow on it.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Well, I re did it. I did test the Wunda size, it bled throuh, so I wiped it off. I then went back to my old way using Ronan size. Took my time, and now it's done. I really don't have the time to work on bikes. Plus I can't move them, the big ones, around the shop. On the other hand,,,next time I do a bike, I will charge much more. And no more if this, "I'll leave the parts with you and you can do them in your free time". I think what it gets down to is that I am so accustomed to working on a vertical surface, such as a truck or sign, that my eyes get all confused by the rounded surfaces of bikes. Not to mention all of the bending up and down.

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad it worked out for you, lady! Finally! When these things decide to "attack" you, it can be pure hell!

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL!

That biker is lucky that you didn't remove the bad size with a ball peen hammer!

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Oh I came close, but the carrot (Money, Stacks, Cash, Dinero, Dough, Plata, Clams, Moola, Feria) always pulls me back into a state of mental calmness. "Hoochie Mama, Hoochie Mama" (A line from Seinfeld)

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Guess when you've done as many bikes as I, things work out differently..

--------------------

Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Let's see,,,many I've worked on 40 or 50 bikes during my 30 year stretch. I think you many have a few more notches on your sign kit than I do when it comes to doing bikes. Today I am dragging my butt to get it done. I should be in the shop right now, But I had to come in here and do a quick email for a customer. Now I'm gonna drag meself back into the shop, pick up my striping brush, put on my glasses and my striping glove and get it done.

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Deri Russell
Resident

Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deri Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Deri Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a new personal rule. If I don't like doing it I am going to say nope, too busy.

Well I will leave it with you or put it at the bottom of your list? Nope, too busy.

Well I can get back to you in 3 months? Nope, too busy.

--------------------
Deri Russell
Wildwood Signs
Hanover, Ontario

You're just jealous 'cause the little voices only talk to me.

Posts: 1904 | From: Hanover, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Ay, bike still ain't done. Tomorrow I will finish the bike. I worked on it for a while yesterday. Today I'm taking the day off to play in the garden.

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup!

Deri has the right idea!

[Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
in my present state of mind.......when someone calls and wants a rush order........my fastest one would be...give me 7 -10 days.....see if i can get it dun fer ya.....hehehehehehehehehe

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Alicia is a true artist and champion who doesn't let anything stand in her way.. Sign people are way different as many of them just don't understand what bike and vehicle people have to offer in the way of cashola and it's always been that way..

--------------------

Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

So I finally got it done yesterday,,,,
 - Alumimun leaf, and 1-Shot. Tanks and side boxes also have stripes and leaf, just stright line stuff. The other tank, fenders etc. were just names, Harley Davidson painted on tanks, plus a few pinstriped designs.
The front fender design covers a bad rock chip.

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Cal Trauter
Visitor
Member # 10938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cal Trauter   Email Cal Trauter       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love it, you're my HERO
[Applause]

--------------------
Cal Trauter
Raven Sign Company
Summerland BC
https://www.facebook.com/RavenSignCompany

Posts: 97 | From: Summerland BC | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!