Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » COREL X7..........not a good idea......

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: COREL X7..........not a good idea......
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
from GRAPHICS UNLEASHED:
In talking with someone at Corel, I've learned that the content (clipart, fonts, photos) is not included on the DVD for CorelDRAW X7 and the only way to get it is to download individual pieces of content through Corel CONNECT. I find this news very disappointing and I'm guessing this will be an unpopular decision.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aside from the idea of now having to download individual content, instead of it being included on a DVD collection from Corel Corporation....

I would like to ask a pretty simple question...

I still use Corel Graphics Suite X3. (That was the newest version when I retired) I don't use the program for financial gain/reasons anymore, but do use it for personal projects.

Is there anything of REAL benefit to a, now casual user, in upgrading to a newer version? I mainly do vector stuff.

I guess what I am asking is...has there been any MAJOR "must have" improvement or feature that would entice me to buy version X6, for example? Anything that day-to-day users of the vector part of the program find indispensable or vastly improved over version X3?

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marty Happy
Resident

Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marty Happy   Author's Homepage   Email Marty Happy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stuck with version 7 almost exclusively for a very long time because I could cut directly from it and it did everything I needed it to do design-wise except opening newer files was often a problem. I recently purchased X6 to be able to open a newer file and found I liked using it and have been using it almost exclusively now and converting finished art to V7 to use in my cutter. Can't tell you about any of the improved features except for being able to open newer files sent to me.

--------------------
Happy Signing...... Marty

M.F. (Marty) Happy
Signmaker Since 1974
Happy Ad Sign & Design
Regina SK, Canada S4N 5K4
306-789-9567
happyad@sasktel.net
www.happyad.ca

Get Happy & Get Noticed!

Posts: 773 | From: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
iam an original corel 3, with my 1st computer figured out that a ROLAND PNC-1000 would cut DIRECTLY from corel 3. only drawback was with COREL 3 it had a 30 inch X 30 inch work area. i also figured a workaround for that then the ROLAND had a 62.2 inch LIMIT!!!! still i cut all my vinyl from corel even for 4 ft x 8 ft signs and large trucks.
COREL 4.......was a gooder version had a trace in it. 5 & 6 WAS JUNK...cause COREL DECIDED TO LEASE THE CUTTER ENGINE/CODE to CO-CUT EURO CUT. COREL 7 was a totally new, the last of the true corel versions and they took the workspace to 150 feet X 150 feet!!!!! about same time i upgreaded the ROLAND PNC-1000 to a PNC-1100...no more 62.2 inch length limit, 24" material and bout 2 X as fast as the older roland.
i got 8 & 9 never loaded either. COREL 9 has the best fonts and clipart of any up to that point. i got COREL 10..........ran that till i got X3......just might go to 7 when i get my SSD DRIVE WITH WIN 7 up and running.
but for all i do COREL X3 is a ROCK SOLID STABLE PROGRAM........and why mess with something that is not causing any problems))))

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have used CorelDRAW! from version 1, (1,2,3,4,5,7,9,X3 and now X6) ver. 3, 7, 9 and X3 were all used for long stretches with no issues at all- and like OP, I cut directly to a Roland PNC-960 cutter.
X6 has been a good solid version for me as well- it works nice importing and working with newer file types, such as the newest PDF versions from the latest Illustrator from a Mac environment, with no issues at all.

My biggest expense going from X3 to X6 was having to get a machine with a DVD drive to do the install.

I will probably skip this upgrade.

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the comments guys...Since I really don't need to open any newer file types, I guess I'll save my money and stay with X3 for a while longer.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Purcell
Visitor
Member # 1140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Purcell   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Purcell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've liked X3, and will probably stick with it for the time being.
But the smear tool in X6 looks pretty neat.

--------------------
Steve Purcell
Purcell Woodcarving & Signmaking
Cape Cod, MA

Intelligent Design Is No Accident

Posts: 900 | From: Cape Cod, MA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A bit like OP, I started with Corel 2.
I think it came on 3 floppy discs - that was HUGE!
Upgrade to version 7.625 or some such number which was version 7 with the bugs taken out, then 10 & now still happy with X3.

The upgrades were necessary to be able to work with a wholesaler and a client with newer versions than me, or to convert files.

(I've never used Photopaint though.Old habits die hard and I'm a Photoshop lover instead!)

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have some '03 version. Think it is 12. Never bothered to upgrade as it does a fabulous job for what I need. Started with 3. I am used to the paint/draw programs, but never bother with the others. Wish they had some better convert a jpg to a vector deal, but I can still tracer with a mouse just fine for what I need. I still make pounce patterns sometimes and print out on 8.5 x 11 inch paper, glue them together and they work fine. Considering I only have to do a few a year, it is not worth it to change or upgrade.

I have the adobe suite, but rarely use more than the dreamweaver part. similar to draw and paint, but corel works fine and I know all of the quick commands I need.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be looking into 7 as I upgrade on the odd nymber years, been since version 3. although I did miss 5. Anyway, since Gerber is dead in the water, Im looking into either upgrading to the latest gerber, or planning the switch into the Next phase whatever that is. I bet Corel will be the driving force behind it for us.

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually came on here to ask a Corel question today, so I'll ask it here too.

I am about to upgrade from XP to windows 7 since the support for XP has expired now. Will Corel x3 do okay on Windows 7? Any conflicts?

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

No conflicts at all!!! (see my other reply regarding using an older vinyl cutter though)

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

welllll.. DEPENDS.. if you load the 32 bit WIN 7 or 64 bit WIN 7.
NO CONFLICTS(32 bit) and you can still run a roland to cut vinyl from win 7.
if your not cutting from a roland........you may encounter other small glitches...with the 64 bit version.
i would.. LOAD WIN7 AS A 32 BIT.... see how it works, then once you get a machine thats running good and you have made a RESTORE point.... that yuo can go back to if you have problems then i would try the 64 bit......

[ April 09, 2014, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks you guys!

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deri Russell
Resident

Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deri Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Deri Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't looked at X7,although the pop up keeps telling me to these last couple days- currently in X6.
Started in 3 in 1993. Didn't do all the versions but quite a few. I try to keep updating every version or two because I have always found compatibility problems when you don't keep up to date in your software. One day you find you have to buy a new Computer, and it has all the bells and whistles, because its new. Its infinitely better than any other computer you ever had, but you cant seamlessly start your programs because you never kept up with software updates. Not doing that any more.

--------------------
Deri Russell
Wildwood Signs
Hanover, Ontario

You're just jealous 'cause the little voices only talk to me.

Posts: 1904 | From: Hanover, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!