Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » need help with computer-what to do

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: need help with computer-what to do
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have Windows XP running SignLab 7.1 with a Graphtec plotter and Gerber 4B. My computer tech said my hard drive is bad - it doesn't boot up correctly but once it's up it works perfectly. He said we could get a new hard drive and he can mirror the new drive to the old one that has all the license files but that may also mirror the problem. I hesitate to upgrade to Windows 7 because of the old software and plotters not being compatible. Will the 4B work on Windows7? I know I will have to buy an upgrade for SignLab. I have another computer with Windows 7 for my design work and all other functions, so I only need the old computer to run SignLab and the 2 plotters. Please give me your opinions on whether I should try to fix the XP system or go with a new system.Thanks very much!

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1266 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if it would be possible to have a new computer with a dual boot - XP and Win7. It might resolve all of the issues.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OR...... you could have him laod a new hard drive with your existing copy of XP, and re-install all of the programs you want to run. as for WINDOWS 7.........I WOULD FOR SURE......load it as a 32 bit o/s and that would more then likly allow your present signlab and drivers for the plotters to work.
WINDOWS 64 BIT...... is what causes the probles with legacy programs and equipment. STAY AWAY FROM IT!!!!

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would go for the new hard drive with the old one mirrored to it,....if the system runs good once it's booted now it should do the same with an image(mirrored) from the old drive,....if it doesn't work you can always reload windows from the install disk,... news has it microsoft will validate new installs after the april 8, 2014 support deadline,....

edited to add,....this is assuming all you want to use this system for is to drive the plotters which should work fine regardless of your operating system,..given the proper drivers for signlab

last of all if you can afford the upgrade costs why not take the plunge and get the inevitable upgrades behind you,...all of your equipment should run just fine in win 7 if you have the proper upgrade for signlab,....32 bit operating systems are rapidly becoming obsolete due to newer hardware designs along with the legacy programs that run on them,...this fact will not change,...no matter how hard some will try to hang onto them fighting and kicking the inevitable change

[ January 18, 2014, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: Tim Barrow ]

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks very much for the replies. I'm inclined to fix the XP computer so I can still run SignLab and also there are some things I can still do better in XP than Windows 7. I am also thinking of downloading a trial version of CoCut and cutting directly out of Corel X3, at least until I can get the XP fixed. I will just need to get the right cable hook up for the Graphtec FC 4100 to the Windows 7 USB. I've read some of the past posts on selecting the correct cable and hopefully all will go smoothly. [Wink]

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1266 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think GRAPHTEC has a driver for their plotter so you can direct from COREL...dont need co-cut. now the 4b.........cant say

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!