Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » I-shot pigments

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I-shot pigments
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you find out what the pigments are in 1-shot? Eg, Chrome Yellow. The can lists only Barium Sulfate and Titanium Dioxide, neither of which are the yellow.

Also, has anyone noticed any darkening, turning more ocherish, of any of the 1-shot yellows after a year or two of being painted?

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Might be uranium yellowcake, Dennis... [Wink]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
who says eating 1 shot is bad for ya???
Barium Sulfate
A fine white powder, BaSO4, used as a pigment, as a filler for textiles, rubbers, and plastics, and as a contrast medium in x-ray photography of the digestive tract.
hahahahahahahahaha
http://www.specialchem4coatings.com/tc/color-handbook/index.aspx?id=yellow

[ September 25, 2013, 01:09 AM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who says I want to eat it. OP? I'm not Van Gogh.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if you have had any G.I. X-RAY you did))))

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Nobody's ever been interested in my plumbing, OP. I dont blame them.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist

Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't understand why you would want to use One Shot in the first place unless you want your sign to look like crap in two years. Ronan is like One Shot used to be years ago. If you cannot find Ronan lettering enamel at a supplier near you, they will ship it to you.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Thanks, Dave. So my question about Ronan wd be the same -- will they tell you what pigments go into their paints? Among fine artists' materials manufacturers, the best makes do make the information available, usually right on the package.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist

Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if they wont tell you it is more than likely because they are not the permanent artist's pigments that you would be accustomed to in fine arts pigments,...and from the way they fade and deteriorate prematurely the are not permanent pigments,...more than likely fugitive dyes and cheaper type pigments,.... you might request the msds sheets that the govt makes manufacturers provide for more detailed info that you seek,...

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if they wont tell you it is more than likely because they are not the permanent artist's pigments that you would be accustomed to in fine arts pigments,...and from the way they fade and deteriorate prematurely the are not permanent pigments,...more than likely fugitive dyes and cheaper type pigments,.... you might request the msds sheets that the govt makes manufacturers provide for more detailed info that you seek,...

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sad...
I'm wondering if the 1-shot that's now newly available in Australia is the new USA formula, or the old recipe?

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pigment? Would you believe me if I told you that there are no pigments, only resins and dyes...

Or would you wait until one of the icons of the sign world calls me and than posted this [Smile]

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Thanks, Joey, that sadly explains a lot...(about pigments, I mean...) [Wink]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Joey. I guess that would explain why they fade so quickly.

Many years ago (about 35), one of the techs at Chromatic told me that there was a wide range of quality (and cost) in pigments and that was one of the reasons for the high cost of artist's oils.

I don't know if they were using pigments or dyes at the time.

And I'm not sure if I even know the difference between pigments and dyes. I'll leave that to the smart folks.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Raymond, dyes are usually somewhat transparent liquids, and pigments are opaque powders, often natural minerals etc.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

pigments are chemicals that are usually washed in acids or burnt and have reached their most decomposed state prior to their use in paint thus their use as dry powders and pigments cannot fade,....

edited to add,...Raymond we probably had some of the same conversations with Steve Bergman back when chromatic was still in business,...they used pigments back then and chromatic used very high quality pigments,...

[ September 28, 2013, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: Tim Barrow ]

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

pigments are chemicals that are usually washed in acids or burnt and have reached their most decomposed state prior to their use in paint thus their use as dry powders and pigments cannot fade,....

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Tim. Those conversations with Steve centered around why some manufacturers' colors were deep and bright while others were dull and lifeless. His answer was the quality of the pigments, which I assumed began as powders of natural substances. As an example, he said that the pigments they used for their reds cost twice as much as those used by their competitors.

The research was for an article for Signs of the Times and questions were asked because I knew little about the chemistry of paints. Still don't, other than what I learned from Steve and Kent Smith.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard PPG (who also owns Mathews) has purchased One Shot. We can only hope they will restore the quality of former One Shot. Ronan lettering enamels are not easy to find.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve Berman was always in contact with other sign people, I believe I met Kent Smith there at Chromatic.. I actually moved to Haverstraw sometime in 89 only to find I was living within a mile from Chromatic. Steve's wife Laurie looked down upon me ever since I saw a postcard to Chromatic from Mark Klein... I said wow! Mark Klein, she asked if I knew him and I said, sure do, taught him a lot a things and she got bent outta shape...

Dave Sherby, yes PPG acquired 1-Shot from Spraylat yet, did you know although the lettering line is 1-Shot, the Bulletin line is Chromatic. The 6000 reducer is now Chrom-A-Flo and was changed because of my input with much help from Tramp Warner. I always believed Chromatic to have better coverage in all the systems especially in the brighter colors.. Since I lived close by, I came in contact with many of the workers which BTW told me which colors were used in both bulletin and lettering enamels as well as some of the formulas..

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Thanks Joey

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201

Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Chromatic was the best lettering enamel that I could find. Steve developed a magenta when One-Shot was not listening to sign painters. His colors were deeper and brighter than any others. He actually went to Letterhead gatherings and asked what we wanted...and then made it.

Thanks for the information, Joey.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!