Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » From thoughts of retirement to thoughts of increasing business

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: From thoughts of retirement to thoughts of increasing business
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have had a website for many years now. At first a lot of our potential clients weren't even using email. Now, it's hard to imaging running a business without an online presence. The fax machine, once the darling of innovation is all but unused, forced retirement, as it were. The latest boon to business has been social media. Although I have no interest in Twitter, we do use Facebook for communicating with customers and potential customers. Lately I've been using is more as a blog than anything. I plan to increase our Facebook presence and I'm interested in hearing how others out there use this relatively new medium.
You're welcome to view our site and comment on anything you see there. Feel free to Like us while your there.
Comsign's Facebook page

[ May 01, 2013, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: Duncan Wilkie ]

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4351 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Rose
Resident

Member # 606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Rose   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Duncan, when I started in 1982 , I thought I was high-tech with my used thermal copier! Just paint and brushes, but I had an Electro Pounce ( still have it )....
In many ways I am a Dinosaur, but do have a website.
www.SeeMySignwork.com But I am also considering getting into Facebook. If I were young I would probably get into wraps, but working by myself it would still be a hassle.

Good luck with your increased use of Facebook.

--------------------
Tom Rose
1938 Model Sign Dude
T.Rose Signs Whitehall,PA

Posts: 327 | From: Whitehall,PA,USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can relate Tom. When I got into the Sign Business, the game pong was just a pipe dream and we were still half a dozen years away from the desktop PC. LOL The fax machine was a bigger revolution than those early, slow, expensive PCs. I remember when I was in college in '72 the computer students were using Fortran and punch cards. At least we didn't have to blend our own paints with lampblack, white lead and pigments like Si did. :>

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4351 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We use facebook to send visitors to our web page - especially our blogs. It sends about 350 people (unique visits) per week. Our blog receives well over 22,000 hits per month. All the blogs I write combined get well over 50,000 hits per month.

Through careful planning and a little work we can use this medium to bring us business. It works for us!

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've been tracking how new clients find us. Picked up 3 new clients via Facebook last week. Picked up 7 new clients last month via our website (unfinished as it is). Picked up 2 new clients last month via the YellowPage ad (which we had reduced from a 1/4 column ad to just a 1" in-column listing.

I'm working on adding an online store and the ability for clients to design and order shirts online. I hope to have them both active by June.

[ May 02, 2013, 02:10 AM: Message edited by: Glenn Taylor ]

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Rose
Resident

Member # 606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Rose   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to thank Duncan, Dan, and Glenn for input on Facebook !

I might just have to leave the stone age to try it. I have a rather simple website that shows the kind of stuff I do, but it would help to get people to check it out.

I'll get crack'n on this and let you know what happens.

Thanks again

--------------------
Tom Rose
1938 Model Sign Dude
T.Rose Signs Whitehall,PA

Posts: 327 | From: Whitehall,PA,USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not on Facebook to my daughter's ridicule.
However Rick Jantzen helped me set up my blog at Googles blogspot.

It is not linked to my website but soon will be.
I write sign stories about my customers and they are sharing it on their social media. When I am being considered for significant projects I notice the hits to it go up.

I have to believe that it helps prospect know that we care about what we do in an individualized way.

letteringbench.blogspot.com

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!