Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Lincoln Highway mural number 30 - Chicago Heights, IL

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lincoln Highway mural number 30 - Chicago Heights, IL
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Click the arrows on the right to play and you'll get a nice musical accompaniment!!

Number 30 will be installed tomorrow in Chicago Heights, IL

This story tells the story of Henry Ostermann, the Field Secretary for the LH . . . and here's his story:

"Chicago Heights, an important stop on the Lincoln Highway, is known as the “Crossroads of the Nation” for its famed intersection of the Lincoln and Dixie Highways. The McEldowny Bridge, where the Lincoln Highway crossed Thorn Creek, included the innovations of separate, protected pedestrian walkways and concrete lanterns, all welcomed features to meet the needs of heavier traffic on the Lincoln Highway. Henry C. Ostermann, the Lincoln Highway Association Field Secretary, crossed this bridge at least twice a year to inspect the new highway from coast-to-coast, driving an average of 15,000 miles per year."

As always, mural panel engineering and border work by the stellar Joe Marshall . . . my design and painted by the preeminent Bill Hueg.

http://www.photosnack.com/my-slideshows/details/p7j5ecnc?jsalbum=1

All that remains is Sterling, IL and Rochelle, IL . . . Done for good as of April 18th

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com
http://www.shawcraft.com/

"The object of the superior man is truth."
-Confucius

Posts: 1285 | From: Machesney Park, IL, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent, as always.....

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nicely done Bill, Jay and company.

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4351 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susan Banasky
Resident

Member # 1164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Susan Banasky   Email Susan Banasky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys amaze me...terrific as usual.

--------------------
Susan Banasky
Source Signs
Nanaimo, British Columbia
sourcesigns@shaw.ca

When in need....go directly to the "Source"!

Proud Supporter of this "Knowledge Network"!

Posts: 1323 | From: Nanaimo, B.C. Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that Bill Hueg again? Is he from Colorado, Jay?

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay I really like the bordering on this one. The obelisk or monument breaking into the panel is a neat touch as well. Bill is the best!

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks again, folks . . . I'd be sick of these posts if I were y'all . . . but they hopefully helped give people who would be interested in painting murals more of a base of how to start, how to charge, how to do . . . everything. And to be honest, I'm a bit burned out on 'muriels' as a full time shop effort - in addition to the signs.

Not complaining - dear Lord no . . . but too much ice cream gives you a bellyache and a fat azz. Know what I mean? There comes a point when you can get a little bored or resentful or whatever . . . and then some of the joy and excitement start to dwindle. I got something few get - a legacy project. For that I will always be grateful - and humbled.

But even a ripe apple knows when to fall to the ground. I'm ready to be joyful in something new . . . and that'll be coming soon also.

Bob, over time my confidence in setting dimension and motion was found in creative cropping and placements of certain objects in the image . . . The truck falling off the side of the borders in Crest Hill #1 http://drivelincolnhighway.com/img/murals/cresthill.jpg or the horse and man coming out of the frame on Genoa http://lincolnhighwaynews.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/il_genoamural.jpg
The obelisk became all too obvious when I cropped and faded the background - and there it was sticking up . . . I like the text placement on this one also. We did something similar in Joliet . . .

That's one of the toughest issues on these - how to add the stories - and add those damn logos we have to put on for the sponsors.

The borders had been in a previous design that wasn't used due to the community pulling out of the program. It's one of Mike Jackson's border ornaments from his collection. I let Bill mix the colors completely on this one. Why stick your nose in when someone as experienced and talented as Bill is can do it in his sleep? A no-brainer. I did very little work on this one - other than design.

I certainly have had a lifetime of experience in 4 long years. No question. I gave it my best - and reached deeper for skills I didn't know I had.

So the lesson we should all learn from the experiences we face?

Be effing FEARLESS. To doubt yourself kills the genius inside you . . . inside every single one of us. I know.

I used to be my best 'doubter' . . . and in two short years I muddled through these learning how to FINALLY paint a pictorial. But failure - when your 'teacher' is Mr. Hueg - is not an option. We've worked together for 20 years on and off so getting that 'education' from a friend is doubly cool . . .!!

Thanks for the encouragement, commentary and support that only friends and artists can share. It helped more than you know.

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com
http://www.shawcraft.com/

"The object of the superior man is truth."
-Confucius

Posts: 1285 | From: Machesney Park, IL, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Staffan   Email Sam Staffan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Always a pleasure to come on here and see another posting Jay. Followed these through since you first started posting them and it is still just as exciting now to watch each step as it was then. looking forward for the next.

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
721 S. Nokomis St. Mackinaw City, MI
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1694 | From: Mackinaw City, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catharine C. Kennedy
Resident

Member # 4459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catharine C. Kennedy   Email Catharine C. Kennedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fantastic all around, Jay & Bill!

--------------------
Catharine C. Kennedy
CCK Graphics
1511 Route 28
Chatham Center, NY 12184
cck1620@taconic.net
"Look at me,
Look at me, Look at me now!
I't's fun to have fun,
But you have to know how!"

Posts: 2173 | From: downtown Chatham Center, NY | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!