Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Has anyone used High Density Laminate or HPL?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Has anyone used High Density Laminate or HPL?
Jeff Wisdom
Resident

Member # 6193

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Jeff Wisdom   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Wisdom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a client requesting High Density Laminate exterior grade for a sign display. I can only find High Pressure Laminate HPL
Seems the material is used predominately by government agencies for exterior display type signs. I can't seem to find a supplier, anyone have any experience with this material?

--------------------
Jeff Wisdom
SignWorks
info@oregonsignworks.com

Posts: 450 | From: Oregon | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Graham
Visitor
Member # 1167

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Graham   Email Robert Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you refering to HDO - High Density Overlay Plywood? If so, I used some on a project a few of years ago and, frankly, although it is a wonderful product, I didn't care working with it. There can be some issues with paint adhesion but it can be done if you follow the manufactures recomendations, but is a more involved prep process. In the past I know it was used for reflective highway signs (Olympic Panel Products markets it as Highway Sign Board), particulary in the days of the old bake on material. (It is used for concrete forms as well.) I used it because my customer had speced it. I actually ended up redoing the project (twice) but the problem was traced to the paint product. The final time I redid it, with consent of my customer, I used MDO. Using the MDO was a much more pleasant experience and I am convienced it will give equitable longevity.

If this is what you are looking for, Lumber Products in Portland, Ore carries (or did when I bought it). I used 3/4" (good two sides) and the SKEW# was 295810. Their phone # is 503-692-3322. It was an Olympic Panel product (formerly Simpson) based in Shelton, WA, and is one of the best on the market. If you need technical advice, give them a call and they are more than glad to talk to you (360-432-5000).

--------------------
Robert Graham
Grahamsville Signs
1120 E McReavy Road
Union, Washington 98592
360-898-2260
Fax 360-898-2262
e-mail:gvs@hctc.com

Posts: 135 | From: Union,Washington - USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff, are you referring to solid surface material such as Corian?

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Wisdom
Resident

Member # 6193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Wisdom   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Wisdom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely not MDO, seems like a solid surface material. I googled it, seems it is used for many government type sign projects.
High Pressure Laminate or HPL
Or High Density Laminate
Both exterior grade.

--------------------
Jeff Wisdom
SignWorks
info@oregonsignworks.com

Posts: 450 | From: Oregon | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used Corian without any issues. On larger surfaces, I did find that I needed to glue back bracing (strips of Corian) to the back to add strength and stability. I'm seeing about 10 years before it starts looking bad. Most of the time, I was able to wet sand it to bring it back. Some of the earlier signs became brittle and cracked.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Corian (and the competitor products) are NOT high pressure products, they are a filled, modified acrylic solid cast product.

Your client is looking for HDO ... or fiberglass reinforced laminate.

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elaine Beauchemin
Resident

Member # 136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elaine Beauchemin   Author's Homepage   Email Elaine Beauchemin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KVO Industries

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/3008597/High-Pressure-Laminate-Contract-Specifications-SPECIFICATIONS-FOR-EXTERIOR-GRADE-HIGH

--------------------
Élaine Beauchemin
scrip
Lettrage Scripsit inc.
St-Hubert, Quebec, Canada
www.scripsit.net

Posts: 1096 | From: Saint-Hubert, Québec, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Douglas Hancock
Visitor
Member # 29758

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Douglas Hancock   Email Douglas Hancock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am very experienced in HPL or dHPL. It is essentially a very thick form of formica where the graphics are embedded within. KVO is way too expensive and I would avoid them, beside they just resell and do not produce in house. Try Izone and ask for Jonathan Sharp. Tell him Doug with Sign Pro sent you. He is a great sales person and has always taken good care of us. There are a couple of other products for those type of exterior signs: Rhino panel and fiberglass embedment are the other major types that offer full color graphics in a vandal proof form. If you are reselling Izone is the way to go, they offer a real wholesale discount unlike some of the others. If you need more help or have any questions please give me a call at 352-359-7059. Hope this helps.

--------------------
Douglas Hancock
Sign Pro of North Florida, Inc,
P.O. Box 1315
Alachua, Fl 32616
352-359-7059

Posts: 17 | From: Alachua, Florida | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Douglas says about Izone. A class operation
that turns out class imbedded style interprative
signage...
I have used them and they work. The signs are in
Oregon, outside in crap weather holding up fine. At
least before I left there...

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vance Galliher
Visitor
Member # 581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vance Galliher   Author's Homepage   Email Vance Galliher       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
listen to jack jeff..........you always bring johnny to mind jack...thanks !

--------------------
vance galliher
springfield,or
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com

Posts: 324 | From: springfield,or. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeh, sorry I didn't find you home when I came to Eugene, on business. Just never left the coast much...

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!