Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » let's talk Nova Color paint

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: let's talk Nova Color paint
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am looking at switching over to more acrylic paint. I have tried Porter paint (a little pricey around here) Sherwin Williams, and a few others but was wondering about the Nova Color paint that we use for the walldogs murals.

I really liked using it on the murals but was wondering if anyone is using it on signs, HDU, PVC, aluminum/pvc panels, and ? I think Nova Color is based in California and has to be shipped from there. Is their anywhere else that it is available?

I'm collecting information so I can make the switch from oil-based to water-based. Will the black foam rollers work as well or do I need to try something else?

Ok, no more questions for now. Let me know what works for you and if you have tried Nova Color paint. Thanks!

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 870 | From: 2718-b Grovelin Godfrey, Illinois 62035 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve,
I would speak to Mark Fair and Dave Correll, both have had experience using the Nova on a variety of sign applications.

I am using more and more latex paints, mainly SW SuperPaint and Resilience line. You can buy quarts in the Resilience. I typically go with the satin finish. I highly recommend Mack 169 series water base quills.I always wet my quills before using I think it stops the paint from drying in the boot of the brush. I have taken to palleting the latex with Flotrol paint additive instead of water helps the paint flow off the brush in a more creamy manner.
They are the ones with the black handles. Be prepared to double coat most colors.

[ January 19, 2013, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: Bob Sauls ]

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI Steve,

Brenda and I painted this one using Sherwin WIlliams Resilience Paint for the background and Nova Color for the rest. Lettering with Nova can be quite the challenge. Most of the lettering was masked off and required a second coat.

So far the sign is holding up well. By far better than the last one I painted with Lettering enamels.

The raw wood around the sign in this pic is just the easel...The Mucha girl was all painted but hand...mostly with Brush....flesh with airbrush. Look ma, no fumes!

-

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dale, those Mucha Gals rock!
Somewhere between a painting and a line drawing, Nice blend.

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My experience with all the non oil based products so far has been far from desirable. If you ever find a can of old lettering color or bulletin paint and try swinging a brush with it you'll know the difference. It flows, it covers,it's fun. You can swing with it. It seems to have inspiration packed into the can. Letters swing and don't look so manipulated. We use the Nova mostly for pictorial work.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6713 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nova has a clearly marked opacity rating on each color. Be sure to watch this. About half of the pigments are transparent. I have used it for backgrounds on sandblasted signs with very good results. Jer

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Posts: 198 | From: Turlock, CA 95380, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any tips on how you prefer to paint with Nova color paint? Can you spray it if you thin it or has anyone mastered using a paint roller with it? I used some Porter paint (black) on a background using the foam roller and was successful getting a smooth finish. It took alot more rolls back and forth to achieve a smooth finish but it is possible.

Hopefully the Nova paint can give a smooth finish when applied with a roller also. I'm curious to hear how some of you are working with it and what equipment you have had success using.

I appreciate the comments so far but was hoping for more suggestions. It must be because it's a weekend and not everyone stops by Letterville until Monday!

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 870 | From: 2718-b Grovelin Godfrey, Illinois 62035 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We use General acrylic house paint for pretty much all of our work save for then we need metallics. Then we use Modern Masters paints and I absolutely love them!

General Paint is only available in Canada however. I've used Porter paints when I've done murals in the US and have liked it.

The price of paint never bothers me. I'd much rather pay a little more and cover in two coats than spend more on time. Paint spreads a long way compared to many things. I am much more worried about longevity and coverage.

Availability would be a factor in my choice in paint. I can get the colors I need in twenty minutes locally. Modern Masters needs to be ordered a week in advance locally so I keep a fair inventory and a good selection on hand.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard that Modern Masters is good paint. I will have to see where it is available around my area. So Modern Masters have metallic paints? I can see that would be a plus for some of my projects. Thanks Dan!

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve

Modern Masters also makes an acrylic scenic paint that is color fast. Disney uses it. I've tried it and it goes on much like Nova colors.

Just go to the Modern Masters web site and go to the dealer locator.... easy as that.

-grampa dan

[ January 21, 2013, 12:26 AM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Dan' tell us what type of glaze you employ on exterior effects work?

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Thanks Dan! I went to the website to find a location of a dealer and found one about a mile and a half from my shop! That's convenient. I plan to drop in today and see what they have. I also have a Sherwin Williams dealer about a half a mile from my shop. Looks like I should be fine getting what I need. I still would like to hear what techniques work best for these paints. Spray verses rollers? Other tips or tricks to getting a good smooth coat? Yes I do have Flortrol and not afraid to use it. Thanks everyone for your advice.

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Rodger MacMunn
Visitor
Member # 4316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rodger MacMunn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve, I've used Porter AcriShield for years. I don't consider paint a major cost, other than I have to buy it while on holidays & carry an inventory.
It's easy to work with, you can letter with it & it's great for pictorials. I use satins.
I know nothing about the other Sherwin Williams lines, but SuperPaint is only available in gallons.
If you're over 6 years old, you're not going to live long enough to use a whole gallon in some colours.

If you can find Wagner FlowEasy, it works better than Floetrol if you're using it with a quill.

If you do many pictorials, you'll soon wonder why you stuck with 1-shot as long as you did. Plus now, you won't have to repaint it in 2 or 3 years.

--------------------
Rodger MacMunn
T.R. MacMunn & Sons
C.P.207, Sharbot Lake, ON
613-279-1230
trmac@frontenac.net

Posts: 472 | From: Sharbot Lake, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Thanks Rodger, I did like the Porter paints when I used them and I have done a few pictorials in the past, but was using 1-shot back then. You are right about having to repaint in 2 or 3 years! That is why I am asking for advice on Acrylic latex paints. I'm tired of the problems that I've had with 1-shot fading and of course the clean up mess. I haven't heard of Wagner FlowEasy so I will check that out. Thanks!

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Talk to some of the guys at the next Walldog event and you should be able to get a LOT of info on Nova. We use it all the time and the last meet and the next are all Nova. Bill really likes it.

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Fair Signs
Visitor
Member # 289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Fair Signs   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Fair Signs       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Nova Color. It hides well, even reds.
It is a tough paint when dry and it dries fast.

--------------------
Mark Fair Signs
2162 Mt. Meigs Road
Montgomery, Alabama 36107

Posts: 5702 | From: Montgomery, Alabama | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joy Kjer
Resident

Member # 3026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joy Kjer   Author's Homepage   Email Joy Kjer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve, I have been told that Rustoleum's Metallic Accents (available at Menard's and other such places) is the same paint as Modern Master's metallic paints but with more extender added.

--------------------
Joy Kjer
Art On Display Signs
4001 Randolph St
Lincoln, NE

"My life has a superb cast,
but I can't figure out the plot."

Posts: 445 | From: 4001 Randolph St. Lincoln, NE | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joy Kjer
Resident

Member # 3026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joy Kjer   Author's Homepage   Email Joy Kjer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used Rustoleum Metallic Accents on this panel.
 -

--------------------
Joy Kjer
Art On Display Signs
4001 Randolph St
Lincoln, NE

Posts: 445 | From: 4001 Randolph St. Lincoln, NE | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Wow Joy thanks for the tip on Rustoleum metallics. I wonder if they are owned by the same company. Nice Welcome sign! That must have been a challenge painting that little "w" on Howard! Did you use a toothpick? [Smile] Pick a thicker stroke font next time! I'm sure you have thought of that already.

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used Rust-oleum Metallic paint for this wall mural I painted in down in my basement.

Sounds like it is made for interior use? It has a great kind of pearl/suede look on my white wall.

-

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

The Modern Masters metallics are suitable for exterior work.

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautiful Joy.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vance Galliher
Visitor
Member # 581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vance Galliher   Author's Homepage   Email Vance Galliher       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i really like your color combo on this...very nice piece of work joy.

--------------------
vance galliher
springfield,or
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com

Posts: 324 | From: springfield,or. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joy Kjer
Resident

Member # 3026

Thanks guys! Steve, I think I did use a toothpick on that letter! The font got thinned a bit to much when I did this on my Carvewright. That was before I was able to use a dxf file for carving. Next time it should be thicker!

--------------------
Joy Kjer
Art On Display Signs
4001 Randolph St
Lincoln, NE

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!