Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Need advice on primers for foam and HDU

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need advice on primers for foam and HDU
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been cutting lots of HDU pieces on my ShopBot and recently some insulation foam sheets.
I was told a long time ago that Jay Cook's primer works great on HDU so that's what I've been using for a few years. Now that I am using my CNC router, I have been cutting indoor signs, logos and shapes from insulation foam mainly for practice.

I want to paint the insulation foam pieces so I need to know what water-based primer will do the trick. Also is their something I can use to give the cheap foam a harder shell before painting?

Some of these projects will turn into Christmas presents if I get them done in time! Any suggestions would be appreciated. I did go out to the Sherwin Williams paint store and picked up a quart of their water-based primer to try. It isn't too expensive ($21.Gal) $10 for the quart. If it works I will go back and get a gallon. Anything else out there that you are using? Thanks for your help!

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 870 | From: 2718-b Grovelin Godfrey, Illinois 62035 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger MacMunn
Visitor
Member # 4316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rodger MacMunn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve, I used Jay Cooke's primer for years but bought a can of BM Fresh Start just for fun & I was hooked.
It sands out much nicer ( doesn't ball up in the sandpaper ) & sooner, doesn't puddle up in the corners as badly & if you're rolling it, it doesn't splatter up your arm as much.
The new BM "Superior Primer" I don't like as much.

--------------------
Rodger MacMunn
T.R. MacMunn & Sons
C.P.207, Sharbot Lake, ON
613-279-1230
trmac@frontenac.net

Posts: 472 | From: Sharbot Lake, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am guessing BM stands for Benjamin Moore and not what I first thought Fresh Start was referring to? [Wink]
Thanks Rodger, I'll check and see who carries it around here. Maybe Lowes or Home Depot?

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 870 | From: 2718-b Grovelin Godfrey, Illinois 62035 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Thompson
Visitor
Member # 2395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Thompson   Author's Homepage   Email David Thompson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not tried it personally, but some modeling buddies swear by Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty for coating foam to get a hard finish.

[ December 20, 2012, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: David Thompson ]

--------------------
David Thompson
Pro-Line Graphics
Martinsville, NJ

I'm not this dumb, it's just the paint fumes talkin'

Posts: 397 | From: Martinsville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HDU does not need a primer for a top coat paint to adhere. Almost anything will stick to it. But, some of us use a primer mainly to smooth everything out, but several coats of paint would do the same thing.

I use Coastal Enterprise's FSC88-WB primer (water based) because it dries quickly and sands to a super smooth finish. It can be sprayed, brushed or rolled.

I'm not familiar with the lighter foam materials, so not much advice can be given. It seems that the extra steps of applying a hard finish could be avoided by simply using a higher density HDU.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Durham's Rock Hard Putty literally is rock hard....very brittle. Not that that is a problem in most cases, but in making picture frames, I have found bondo works with much better expansion and contraction. Hard to get smooth, but at least it is flexible. Amazingly, it is still fairly inexpensive at 20-25 a gallon can. If you rough sand it fairly soon after it sets up, it can be easy to work, but wait a day and it is really hard.

If someone could add something to the Durham's to give it less brittleness, then that might help as the water based Durham's does hand form a bit easier with a damp cloth to smooth it out before it sets up. Maybe some fiberglass strands?

I have to think going back to a surfacing primer as used in a body shop would be better. Not up on the specific products today, but surely someone makes a water based surfacing primer that sands without balling up the paper and could be brushed on? Any ideas?

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Douglas Hancock
Visitor
Member # 29758

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Douglas Hancock   Email Douglas Hancock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look up styrospray 1000 from www.industrialpolymers.com it is 2 part plastic that can create a gloss finish with brush application. They will sell a 2qt batch that can do I think 100 sqft for about $25.00. If you want to make it super smooth get the primer too. I have some but have not found the time to play with it. The samples I have look awesome. This is what all the prop guys use.

--------------------
Douglas Hancock
Sign Pro of North Florida, Inc,
P.O. Box 1315
Alachua, Fl 32616
352-359-7059

Posts: 17 | From: Alachua, Florida | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's great guys. Thanks for your suggestions. I do use HDU for project that will be outdoors or needs to be more rigid, but a 1" 4'x8' sheet of HDU is $206.00 and a 1" 4' x 8' sheet of insulation foam (pink or blue!) cost $15.87 at either Lowe's (blue) or Home Depot (pink).

I would only use insulation foam for interior projects anyway, but would like to give it some strength with a good primer or some sort of top coat along with the paint.

The Shopbot router cuts the insulation foam so smoothly and is really inexpensive to work with. My friend Doug haffner is making some "Amazing Creations" with it. He did suggest the Styrospray but also uses Sherwin Williams Concrete and Masonry primer. I still use Jay Cook's primer on lots of signs but wondered if it was ok for insulation foam. It works on everything else!

Another thing I was wondering about: What type of sprayer do you use and has anyone tried the cordless battery-powered sprayers? They are around $450. Just wondering if it's worth the money. Thanks.

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sometimes spray FSC88WB onto HDU, thinned with water, using an HVLP gun with an oversized 2.2mm nozzle. Never tried spraying Jay Cookes but when I did use Jay Cookes, I had problems with it 'balling up' in the sandpaper. I wet-sand the FSC88. Haven't primed any styro, but I understand it takes acrylic latex well.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joy Kjer
Resident

Member # 3026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joy Kjer   Author's Homepage   Email Joy Kjer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve, on the pink foam insulation for interior, I have use Elmer's glue mixed with latex paint. It might do what you want for this application and talk about low tech!

--------------------
Joy Kjer
Art On Display Signs
4001 Randolph St
Lincoln, NE

"My life has a superb cast,
but I can't figure out the plot."

Posts: 445 | From: 4001 Randolph St. Lincoln, NE | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joy Kjer
Resident

Member # 3026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joy Kjer   Author's Homepage   Email Joy Kjer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve, on the pink foam insulation for interior, I have use Elmer's glue mixed with latex paint. It might do what you want for this application and talk about low tech!

--------------------
Joy Kjer
Art On Display Signs
4001 Randolph St
Lincoln, NE

Posts: 445 | From: 4001 Randolph St. Lincoln, NE | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joy Kjer
Resident

Member # 3026

Steve, on the pink foam insulation for interior, I have use Elmer's glue mixed with latex paint. It might do what you want for this application and talk about low tech and easy to find!

--------------------
Joy Kjer
Art On Display Signs
4001 Randolph St
Lincoln, NE

Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve,
I've been using Cover Stain by Zinsser lately.

It's thick, dries fast and sands easily. I made some finials for the top of some poles out of cheap styrofoam, and it worked great for them.

I think I got it at Lowe's.....but I'm not going to tell you 3 times!

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joy Kjer
Resident

Member # 3026

Why does my post keep multiplying??? It started out as only one, really!

--------------------
Joy Kjer
Art On Display Signs
4001 Randolph St
Lincoln, NE

Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joy, acrylic paint and the white glue sounds like a wonderful idea!! I also heard that from Ron Percell.

[ December 22, 2012, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: Rick Sacks ]

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6714 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For fear that my post may be multiplied I've decided not to post.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
white glue
Is usually polyvinyl acetate latex.

Some white glue is made from clear acrylic.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Carlson
Visitor
Member # 1283

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Carlson   Email Kevin Carlson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is for stryrenhttp://www.fxsupply.com/steves/steves.html?PHPSESSID=fmc17lec6sc43piotg36nffmb2e

--------------------
Kevin Carlson
Carlson Art & Sign
Madison, IN

Posts: 37 | From: Madison, IN 47250 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Incidentally, I stated above that I was using Zinsser Cover Stain for primer on Styrofoam. It fills great, sands great, and takes paint like crazy.

Just in the last couple days, we also used it to block out some digitally printed RED copy on a VINYL banner. It stuck to the vinyl, blocked out the red, and the "patching" was invisible after we put the white acrylic topcoat on it. I was impressed!.

For anyone who might've used the old XIM white primer in past years, this stuff is almost identical to how that stuff smells, acts and works......but a good bit less expensive.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use this Zinsser Cover Stain on every thing I make with MDF. It seals tight first time every time.
But you have to work fast because it does build up.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!