Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Kewanee meeting & Interview yesterday (Sat)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kewanee meeting & Interview yesterday (Sat)
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dale and Brenda Manor, Ted Turner and his wife, Doug Haffner and myself were in Kewanee Saturday afternoon for a interview about the Walldogs. It was recorded by a young man from the radio station and will be edited (mostly for time!) before it is broadcast.

Kewanee is really jazzed for the walldogs to paint their town. They even sent a team to Arcola this past summer to check us out and ask questions.

I think it went well and was fun seeing a few walldog friends again. I have a feeling Kewanee will be promoting this to the max and this will not be the only interview if my feeling is right.

The town is perfect for a walldog event. Nice downtown area with plenty of walls within walking distance of each other. Big thanks to Cornbread for setting this interview up.

As Doug Haffner said about describing a Walldog meet:, "It's like a family reunion that you want to be at!" I think we all agree.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you Walldogs out there!

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 870 | From: 2718-b Grovelin Godfrey, Illinois 62035 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with you Steve, Kewanee, IL is going to be another great meet. We have already received a very warm welcome from everyone we have had the chance to meet. We have also discovered our official "diner across the way"...with great food and atmosphere!

One of the many great things that comes out of these Walldog events is getting to know the community and being a small part of a large transformative experience. I've seen how these events can boost tourism and revive a sometimes struggling downtown area. There is always great times to be experienced, working along side these folks to brighten up their town and lives.

Edited to Add: Not to mention that 2013 marks the 20th year since Nancy Bennett kicked off this whole crazy Walldog movement. And I think Kewanee will be tossing us a great party to celebrate this occasion!

Ted Turner and I will be co-leading a project honoring the life of a championship motorcycle racer named Roger Reiman. We will post more information as the project develops. I am hoping to get a Facebook page started for this soon and I will put a notice up here when I do.

I am also hoping to document this mural project on my blog and there is a link to that web page down below my signature.

I always have to add this....but if you have never been to one of these events you are missing out on a life changing gathering that cannot be put into words!

take care

[ November 19, 2012, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: Dale Manor ]

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well said Dale. Getting to know you and Brenda over the years has really been a great experience. It really is best described as an extended family of people that share your same interests and passion.

The thing that many people don't know is that many of the walldogs don't get to paint murals that often in their sign shops even though many still paint signs along with using a computer. This opportunity to learn how it is done and actually paint along side of those experienced artists is priceless. Many of us started off hand lettering and with the changing times, don't get to use these skills as often as we'd like. Painting a mural is a group effort and so
rewarding to see the finished results.

I agree with Dale's last statement about it being
a life changing gathering that cannot be put into words....even though I just tried!

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 870 | From: 2718-b Grovelin Godfrey, Illinois 62035 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve it was good to see you at Arcola and Danville.
Dale have not had much time with you but I did become a follower of your blog this morning.
I have on as well www.letteringbench.blogspot.com

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ted Turner
Visitor
Member # 2799

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ted Turner   Author's Homepage   Email Ted Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve-

Having missed out on going to Alcola last year, I had enough stuff piling up with a move to Milwaukee, that it didn't work out.

Dale had filled me in on the interview that may be going on at Reiman's H-D, but didn't know what I would add until the time came. I am very aware of what the Walldog's mean to me as an artist, but until asked, had never put it into words. The time came for my several minutes, and added my thoughts about my "other family" like Doug and Dale and yourself.

I had a hard time keeping held together at certain points. This family and group of friends means more to me than many may know.The Walldog's have been a key component in getting me to do, what it is I do today.

I am grateful to you all, and can't wait to paint with the family soon!

Later

tt

--------------------
Ted Turner

Paint Designer / Stylist - Styling Dept.
Harley-Davidson Motor Company
Product Development Center
11800 W. Capitol Drive
Wauwatosa, WI 53222

phone 414.465.6005
cell 414.232.8185
fax 414.465.6330

ted.turner@harley-davidson.com

Posts: 81 | From: Wauwatosa, WI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ted,
You are an amazingly talented man and having you as a part of the walldogs has made us even better. It is something that is hard to explain especially when you are put on the spot in an interview, but I think we all pulled it off. Doug Haffner and myself both have radio/tv backgrounds so it was no big deal to be interviewed but it can be intimidating to the majority of us. You did great and so did Dale. He got a little choked up but quickly composed himself and went on.

This is one of the few trades that has a brotherhood feel to it and it really is like a big family reunion that you want to attend. I have been an artist for most of my life and have painted signs, airbrushed and painted murals on kid's walls for over 30 years. I still feel like a newbie around some of the walldogs who are so gifted. I like to have the freedom of painting on different murals at most walldog events, but have stayed on one wall in Pontiac and Arcola from start to finish. I could handle being a project leader but like to meet everyone I can so I can get to know them better. Someday I may lead a wall, but for now it is a pleasure to work with lots of different artists and learn from them. I look forward to Kewanee next year and seeing everyone again. I hope you have a great holiday season and keep in touch! That's why we have Letterville isn't it?

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!