Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Lincoln Highway mural number 22 - Park Forest, IL

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lincoln Highway mural number 22 - Park Forest, IL
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Number 22 is about to be installed in Park Forest, IL

This one tells the story of why the Lincoln Highway was named after the former President . . .

Seeing as how automobiles weren't around in Lincoln's day (if I have my history correct), the only real option was to paint a portrait - and tell the story. Since the official document was a "Proclamation", we were asked to somehow feature the original document in the design.

Sadly, the 'official' document was boring and uninspired. So we opted for a scroll-look on parchment . . . and symmetrical since we always have to tell the story and use the town's name. We used the exact wording from the original document - but punched up the design only moderately. I found a colored image of Lincoln as I was asked to do a colored mural this time - not another monochromatic paint.

But I have never painted a true, blended color portrait before so this one proved to be a real challenge. Color mixing and finding the right combination took a long time due to my inexperience with flesh tones. But as with all things, determination got me pretty close. Beginner's luck, to some degree, since it turned out OK considering my relative inexperience.

40 hours to paint the the flag background, scrolls, fades and the pictorial - including cleaning of the brushes.
As always, mural panel engineering and border work by the stellar Joe Marshall . . . my design and paint.

The design is the first slide . . . I should have done that on the others so you could make a comparison . . .

Step-by-step link here:
http://s442.photobucket.com/albums/qq143/shawcraft/Park%20Forest/?albumview=slideshow

Number 23 is for the town of New Lenox, IL . . . Project ends March 30, 2013 - 33 murals in all.

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com
http://www.shawcraft.com/

"The object of the superior man is truth."
-Confucius

Posts: 1285 | From: Machesney Park, IL, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent, Jay (as always)

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete Payne

Member # 344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pete Payne   Author's Homepage   Email Pete Payne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow Jay, nice work!

--------------------
Pete Payne
Willowlake Design/Canadian Signcrafters
Bayfield, ON

Canadian Signcrafters

Posts: 619 | From: Bayfield, ON Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pete . . . is that you? Pete . . .?? No poking? No verbal jabs?

Are you OK?

[Wink]

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com

-Confucius

Posts: 1285 | From: Machesney Park, IL, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete Payne

Member # 344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pete Payne   Author's Homepage   Email Pete Payne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yep it's me, when I see work that nice, I'll take the highway, or is that the high road? No pink shorts, beegees or harley jokes. I'll save them for a more appropriate time and place. I am in awe of your talent , sir!

--------------------
Pete Payne
Bayfield, ON

Canadian Signcrafters

Posts: 619 | From: Bayfield, ON Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW! What a great job, it looks like all the work on so murals has paid off. Excellent painting of Lincoln.

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya dun good Jay! well worth my finest compliments!

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brent Logan   Email Brent Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great job Jay!

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Posts: 919 | From: Reno, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catharine C. Kennedy
Resident

Member # 4459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catharine C. Kennedy   Email Catharine C. Kennedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your highway has certainly led to great results!!!

--------------------
Catharine C. Kennedy
CCK Graphics
1511 Route 28
Chatham Center, NY 12184
cck1620@taconic.net
"Look at me,
Look at me, Look at me now!
I't's fun to have fun,
But you have to know how!"

Posts: 2173 | From: downtown Chatham Center, NY | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Raap
Resident

Member # 3632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Raap   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Raap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice Jay the portrait looks great!

--------------------
Dennis Raap
Raap Signs

Posts: 839 | From: Coopersville, MI | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would love to see some close ups, Jay. Stunning work! Very inspiring, indeed.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Jiminy . . . that's some high praise from some very talented people. I'm blushing pink, Pete . . . My most sincere thanks for such genuine comments.

I believe that any person can do just about anything - if they really try. I believe that osmosis - by surrounding myself with amazingly talented people - has been the real driver behind this new skill I have been forced to learn. At work or more often with Letterheads/Walldogs, I have simply seen some of the very best work there is. Who wouldn't be inspired?

So you could say "I've been watching" you all (creepy, huh?) . . . and with Billy Hueg's simplified training while living with us for months . . . I simply couldn't have gotten a better 'head start'.

Not one of us is incapable of doing this very same thing you have so kindly remarked about here. Not one.

Not
one.

Think about it.

Then go do it. Whatever "it" is . . .

[ April 27, 2012, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: Jay Allen ]

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com

-Confucius

Mike Simpson
Resident

Member # 20303

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Simpson   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Simpson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice Jay. Can't add anything more than what everyone else has said. I'm inspired for sure. Great job!!! Talent on multiple levels.

--------------------
Mike Simpson
Simpson Studios
324 E. Main St., montrose, CO 81401
970-249-1098
www.mikesimpsonart.com

Posts: 30 | From: Montrose, Colorado | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW outstanding I'm in awe as to everything about it.

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete Payne

Member # 344

for tonight "it" is plunking my butt in in a big comfy chair. And Jay, you're right, after many long hours of practice I can modestly say I'm damn good at it!

--------------------
Pete Payne
Bayfield, ON

Canadian Signcrafters

Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way to go, Jay. Most impressive indeed. There is just something about Lincoln's face and I am not sure it's just our familiarity with it that makes it so iconic.

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another great piece in a long series of great murals! Awesome Jay!

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most excellent and inspiring...and what everybody else said again.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Close ups?

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Preston . . . just those 3 shots in the slideshow . . . Those are the only closeups I took.

I could send you those via email if you would like to zoom in on them. They should be of a high enough quality to observe the greater details.

But it is up and installed now so I can't snap any quickies for you . . .

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com

-Confucius

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!