Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Warning about Scooter Board

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Warning about Scooter Board
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do any of you use scooter board for real estate signs? It was made to replace the old masonite or Duron boards because it doesn't absorb water and start splitting like masonite.

Well I have had 3 signs come back recently because all the vinyl was peeling off! The fine folks who make Scooter Board didn't tell the suppliers that they are coating the boards to help with silk screening. They say you have to use a heat gun on the boards first before applying vinyl.

Wish I would have known that before making several signs. It's still good material and more durable than masonite. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

So I guess it's true that you learn something everyday in the sign business!

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 870 | From: 2718-b Grovelin Godfrey, Illinois 62035 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw that stuff for the first time at the sign show last month. They told me it was "water resistant". I didn't think you could use it for outdoors. Thanks for the warning.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1266 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Modzel
Resident

Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Modzel   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Modzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this coating new because most inks that I tested on the stuff scratched right off with a fingernail.

Enamel adhered but with the overnight drying was kind of ridiculous as far as double sided printing went.

It seems strange that a coating "for" screen printing would be bad for vinyl adhesion.

--------------------
Bill Modzel
Mod-Zel screen Printing
Traverse city, MI
modzel@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1356 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with you Bill. I thought this material would be the answer to the old Duron or Masonite board
but if vinyl won't stick to it, digital print or regular, then it's useless to me. I still have some pieces left to experiment with. I will do the heat treatment and wipe it down with denatured alcohol and see if that works. It really is water resistant like Jean mentioned so I'm hoping for the best.

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 870 | From: 2718-b Grovelin Godfrey, Illinois 62035 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Steve,
I had posted about this stuff awhile back. When I first saw it, it seemed pretty neat; but it is so slick, things don't like to stick to it very well. And Bill, I don't know what kind of paint you're using, but I've had a couple of instances where you could just scrape the paint off (Chromatic) with your fingernail, after a couple of days. And it was scuffed and prepped beforehand.

I called the supplier, and talked to the son of the owner, who told me that it was made for temporary signs (probably for not more than a year and a half outdoors). I'm not using it anymore. You can tell, when you cut it. It just turns to dust. It just doesn't seem to have the binders or resins in it like tempered mas. The surface is water resistant, but get the moisture down in the "inside" of it, I don't think so.

A good grade of tempered masonite (hardboard) will far outlast this stuff, and is easier to get paint/vinyl to stick to. I've resigned myself to using PVC sheet or (the dreaded) coroplast.

[ April 20, 2012, 06:42 AM: Message edited by: Dale Feicke ]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I appreciate the response Dale. I replaced the signs that failed with 6mil PVC material for the yard signs. They fit well in the slip-in metal frames. If my tests don't work, I will be pitching the rest in the dumpster!

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a real bummer, Steve. I just don't know why they even made this crap!

Their company was originally in Covington, KY, called Woodcraft, and made some of the greatest tempered masonite ever. Some of the signs we did, held up for 10 years or more. Realtors and politicians for miles around, bought their stuff.

In later years, after the dad retired, the son took over, expanded, and well, as goes on in so many businesses........begin cutting corners, trying to make stuff cheaper, etc.,,,,, You know how it goes, from here.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James McLain
Visitor
Member # 4877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James McLain   Author's Homepage   Email James McLain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never tried vinyl letters on this board, but it can be screen printed with a 2 part ink and WILL NOT SCRATCH as mentioned in several posts above.

I don't believe ANY single part ink will adhere to it. I don't use it simply because I hate to mix up 2 part ink for jobs. Unless it's a really long production run, it's too wasteful.

Once mixed most 2 part inks generally only have a pot life of about 8 hours.

--------------------
Jim McLain
McLain Studios
1203 Main Street
Asbury Park, NJ 07712
jlm@mclainstudios.com

Posts: 42 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blake Koehn
Visitor
Member # 5984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blake Koehn   Author's Homepage   Email Blake Koehn       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't use it. Vinyl does not stick!! I hate the stuff!! Made me look like a fool. [I Don t Know] [I Don t Know] [Bash] [Bash]

--------------------
Art that sells.

There is joy in the journey.

Blake Koehn
www.prodigitalsupply.com
Macon, MS 39341
admin@prodigitalsupply.com

Posts: 493 | From: Macon, Ms | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

I'm feeling that way too Blake. I have used it in the past without any problems, but apparently they have done something to the finish and now any vinyl just won't stick for very long. It's a shame since it was designed to be used in slip in frames for real estate signage.

Maybe the heat treatment will work but I am going to test it before I make any more signs using the stuff.

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

It's kinda foolish to even mess with it, Steve. Just use the 6 mil PVC, and no worries.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

roger bailey
Merchant

Member # 556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roger bailey   Author's Homepage   Email roger bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did any of you do a Rapid or Rapid II cleaning?
I don't have any experience or knowledge with it, would sure like to know what they coated it with!

Maybe Rapid Prep first then clean again with Rapid or Rapid II

Roger

--------------------
Roger Bailey
Rapid Tac Incorporated
186 Combs Dr.
Merlin Oregon

Posts: 3020 | From: Merlin Oregon | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roger bailey
Merchant

Member # 556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roger bailey   Author's Homepage   Email roger bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, did I hit a nerve or what?
I really am interested in the info,heck maybe Rapid products have no good effect on this peticular product ?

Roger

--------------------
Roger Bailey
Rapid Tac Incorporated
186 Combs Dr.
Merlin Oregon

Posts: 3020 | From: Merlin Oregon | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Naw Roger,

I used Rapid Prep before I tried painting on it, and before trying vinyl letters. The surface is, well, slidy-slick, even after using a scuff pad.

It's almost as if it had silicone in it (maybe it does).

But, I don't know about the others, for me, it's just not a good product. Period. It was not designed to last long-term, and therefore, I have no use for it.

There are other products out there that cost less, require less painstaking preparation, and do the job with less hassle....and hold up.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Staffan   Email Sam Staffan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if there are different brands? The reason I say that is I have been applying digital print to Scooter board for my Museum Exhibits and exterior Kiosks for the past 5 Years and I have yet (knock on wood) to ever have have a piece go bad in any way at all.

I must say I have never put computer cut vinyl on them just digital Oracal or 3m prints but it is still vinyl. Sorry to hear about the problems you are having.

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
721 S. Nokomis St. Mackinaw City, MI
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1694 | From: Mackinaw City, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roger bailey
Merchant

Member # 556

Thank Dale,maybe I won't worry about this situation nor product !
Sounds like it dosnt rank high with you folks, no sence in messing with a fix.
Thanks for responding!

Roger

--------------------
Roger Bailey
Rapid Tac Incorporated
186 Combs Dr.
Merlin Oregon

Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haha Roger ... it would be like developing a cleaner for Yugo Cars!

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roger bailey
Merchant

Member # 556

Hay Si, I hear the 4 doors are called Wego ! Ha ha ha

Roger

--------------------
Roger Bailey
Rapid Tac Incorporated
186 Combs Dr.
Merlin Oregon

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!