Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » HELP... Shop Remodel.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HELP... Shop Remodel.
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really need to start remodeling my shop. It looks like a band of 10 years old work here and looks very Unprofessional. I need some Ideas. I am my own worst client.

Could some of you more OCD/Organized people post some pictures of your shops & showrooms for Ideas for me to work off of..

I am dealing with 980 Sqft box.(40x24) I will probably be adding another 300 or so (10x30) off the back to put the router and Metal working equipment in there so I can get rid of all the dust in the main shop. The Shop is divided at 13ft off the right Side where I have my Office,Plotters and Layout tables, ect.

I'm about to call the discovery channel and see if they want to do a show "Sign Shop Hoarders and Makeover Extreme."

Any help or Ideas would be greatly appreciated besides a small nuke, I am kind of at a loss.

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger MacMunn
Visitor
Member # 4316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rodger MacMunn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill, if you really want to mess up your shiop, start making "vintage" signs. Every piece of scrap wood & rescued trim becomes valuable.
Then quit making them, throw it all out & it'll look like your shop is empty.

--------------------
Rodger MacMunn
T.R. MacMunn & Sons
C.P.207, Sharbot Lake, ON
613-279-1230
trmac@frontenac.net

Posts: 475 | From: Sharbot Lake, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I could help but I'm in the boat beside you. I have everything from my old office crammed into my smaller, stupidly shaped new office. I constantly feel like I'm crawling over stuff.

My office is the original building. When the bays were added on, they also added onto the back of my office but you have to go into the bays to get to the room behind the office.

Then the place was rented for wayyyy too long at a lot less than it should've been in exchange for "maintaining the building". (Insert 3 stooges theme song here). When they drywalled the office, they didn't want to go around the chimney, so they squared off the back wall - losing about 2' of space. [I Don t Know] Behind that is the original brick wall & window. Plan is to gut the office & cut the brick wall out to make a doorway into the back room, aka the VIP lounge. That back room will then have french doors & be my plotter/printer room.

Did I forget to mention the back room that I can't get to from my office is painted black & relatives of the long term renters started a local strip club? Yup, everytime I walk into the room, I look for where there had to have been a stripper pole.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well mine is 2005 build. glad i did it then cause i sure couldnt do it today. i got 24 X 30 X 16 tall at the back wall. 2 part epoxy paint on the concrete floor. ill post some pics if you like, or you can go to facebook A SIGN MINT. and see some of it.

[ February 23, 2012, 01:02 AM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just remodeled mine...it is 8x5 and about 24 inches tall...bed of my F150. I wish I had a hard tonneau that also opened up at the front, but manage to get to the stuff up in the front well enough with my skippy ladder and know to not put stuff up there that I use often.

Yeah, OK. I know. I am spoiled being able to do my entire operation out of the back of my truck. I do have a nice office that I keep fairly organized. The desk is even clean this week. I also have a beautiful painting studio with big windows and sliding doors that overlooks the back deck. Will have to do a major floor clean soon as Gracie comes in and out of her doggie door in there and has tracked in some mud on the light gray brick floor.

Would love to have a nice big shop for my woodworking tools, but I should probably sell off this fancy place first. If that happens later this year, I will tackle putting together a nice shop. Would love to have one that can be easily rearranged with enough space. I have had a couple of them before and seems like the more space I had, the harder it was to keep them together. It is never easy!

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds to me like it's time for a road trip! You need to explore other sign shops and see how they do it! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diane Malesky
Resident

Member # 687

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diane Malesky   Author's Homepage   Email Diane Malesky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they have an archive article about Shop Design in Signcraft. Maybe you can find on line at their website under a search.

We are building our pole barn now. Finishing inside. It's small but effective. I would like to build a paint booth area to spray signs. Have a small showroom/office in attached garage area.

I do think it's all about organization and having areas multi useable. We are going to put a wall in the barn for paint area so we don't have to heat entire barn. etc....

Good Luck!! If you find any good articles or books let us know. I'm sure you can find shop design on line. I've seen it for mechanic shops. [Wink]

--------------------
Summit Signs
231 Victoria Rd
Venice, Fla 34293
sales@summitsign.com http://www.summitsign.com
Design Is The Difference.

Posts: 271 | From: Venice, Fla | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Cieslowski   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Cieslowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually took on course on shop design.......back in the very dark ages.

The key to a good layout is material flow. Start at the front door where material enters and then place machines,benches, storage, finishing etc. in a logical order and you will have a good start.

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
Connecticut Woodcarvers Gallery
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Posts: 2345 | From: East Canaan CT 06024 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jane has the best idea, but here's two little things that may help - my tool and paint storage room is covered with pegboard, making it easy to see what you're looking for and utilizing the entire wall for storage.

-

-

Another good storage idea is to lean your substrates with the edges out, so you can flip thru and see what you have in the scrap pile. I don't throw much away, and my scrap pile has made me a lot of money over the years.

-

For a cheap but functional desk, I bought two melamine cabinets and used a 3/4" sheet of plywood covered with black styrene between them. I made it high so it would be comfortable to sit or stand at the computer. The chair is an office chair mounted to a drafting chair base.....

-

[ February 23, 2012, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Sonny Franks ]

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love it Sonny!!! A comfortable office chair on a drafting chair base!

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8878 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jackson Smart
Visitor
Member # 187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jackson Smart   Author's Homepage   Email Jackson Smart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just put up a quick video on my web site. You can get a sense of what it is like here....I do have it pretty damn good. Going to do a longer one soon.

http://www.jacksonsignartstudio.com/artist-info/

Jackson

--------------------
Jackson Smart
Jackson's Signs
Port Angeles, WA
...."The Straits of Juan De Fuca in my front yard and Olympic National Park in my backyard...

"Living on Earth is expensive...but it does include a free trip around the Sun"

Posts: 1000 | From: Port Angeles, Washington | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FranCisco Vargas   Author's Homepage   Email FranCisco Vargas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember Sonny's and Jackson's shop you guys are awesome! Oh yeah and Old P's shop when he had it on a busy street. Damn I need to reorganize myself. But I've been trying, been getting rid of a bunch of things and time to clear out stuff and throw it away.

--------------------
aka:Cisco the "Traveling Millennium Sign Artist"
http://www.franciscovargas.com
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935
"to live life, is to love life, a sign of no life, is a sign of no love"...Cisco 12'98

Posts: 3576 | From: Fresno, Ca, the great USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diane Malesky
Resident

Member # 687

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diane Malesky   Author's Homepage   Email Diane Malesky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes!! It's all about Organization and Feng Swei! Love that desk in the pics. I can't wait to get my offie/showroom looking like this. We're almost done drywalling. This is so inspiring!! Love the pics.

We just moved so I am too, going thru everything... archiving old files, getting rid of stuff. So much on line now.

I really think being organized is key to creative success. It's like a subliminal thing. having junk all over seems to make my brain shake... although any surface seems to get cluttered... my sister is the same way. Work in progress. LOL! [Wink]

--------------------
Summit Signs
231 Victoria Rd
Venice, Fla 34293
sales@summitsign.com http://www.summitsign.com
Design Is The Difference.

Posts: 271 | From: Venice, Fla | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Everyone,
I look at my place and it just seems so overwhelming at times as I have a Tendency to always try and tackle everything at once. ADD thing.. SO I am going to try something way out of my Norm..

First set a Single Goal.(Which is almost Impossible for me)and try to tackle it in small doses.

I know to the most of you that is normal Behavior,

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
preston you need one a these!!!
http://www.roll-a-bed.com/?gclid=CNWV_quit64CFSOHtgodh0XSqw
this is a pic of the "paint" side of the shop(when its clean) if you look to the upper right, i have a fold down substraight rack that i raise and lower with the boat crank on the wall. there is a white board hanging down at the bottom of all the paint cans, its on hings and can be made into a table for mixing paint. i also have an air operated paint shaker to the far left in the pic on the door frame.
 -

[ February 24, 2012, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brent Logan   Email Brent Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in the same boat as Bill with my garage art studio.... can't find my way from one end to the other. I like the way you're organized Sonny and the chair is a pretty cool idea too! I'm gonna give that a try.

[ February 24, 2012, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: Brent Logan ]

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Posts: 919 | From: Reno, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat Welter
Resident

Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat Welter   Email Pat Welter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Sonny, love the paper wieghts...

--------------------
Pat Welter
Masterhand Signs and Designs
Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada

Posts: 1304 | From: Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

this is the other side of the shop, workbench area.
ans no iam not a gator fan, i just had a lot of orange paint. the lable and sorting of nuts and bolts was all i could do when i had my chest cracked open.
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe - that is pretty impressive. I never had you pegged for a 'neat-nik.' Nice shop. Everything is hanging 'straight' so I can only assume that the earth must have shifted a degree or two off it's axis. hehehe ))))))))))))))))))))))))

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

todd when you got your chest cracked, you got 4 to 6 months of not lifting anything heavier then a bowl of soup...........you find things to occupie all that time.

[ February 25, 2012, 01:42 AM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Sunset Regall
Resident

Member # 11140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sunset Regall   Author's Homepage   Email Sunset Regall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooooh....I love this thread...thanks Bill!
More pics, please...

--------------------
Sunset Regall
SUNSET DESIGNS
sunssette@gmail.com
www.sunsetsdesigns.com

Posts: 190 | From: chico, ca | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy Grossman
Visitor
Member # 235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy Grossman   Author's Homepage   Email Judy Grossman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool video, Jackson! Great idea for your web site. Nice shop Sonny...I feel like I know a whole other side now. I can see the bar bells get a lot of use, right next to the desk... Love the desk and all your memorabilia display. Glad to see you don't have outlines around all your equipment on the peg board. That's scary when I see someone with the outlines.
I don't have pictures right now of my place, but one thing I think is so helpful is just about everything in my studio is on wheels. Big difference and helpful for changing things up as work comes in. Plus I have about 4 or 5 sets of saw horses and a whole bunch of hollow core doors that I got for free somewhere. They make great tables as I need them and again, they are movable. I actually remember that article in Signcraft and one of the points that I went with was the thing about everything on wheels. They also had a design for 4' x 8' easels that I used and made two of them...yup...on wheels. Best design too. I will try to get some pics, but no promises. Haven't ever figured out how to load them on here. Every time I try, it doesn't work.
Anyway...I also got a few old metal carts and they come in real handy. Signcraft also had an article about meking a cart with slots for everything, but I never got around to doing all that. My husband is in warehousing and he set me up with super duper heavy duty metal frames with particle board shelves. It just happened a few years ago and it was the BEST THING ever! No wheels, but they are in a corner and everything is more organized than I have EVER been. Super helpful. I di a job for a guy that sells lab equipment and he sold me two tech tables for next to nothing. A SUPER find! They have a line of sockets in each of them and lights under a top shelf and drawers for storage. I do paint mixing there and vinyl application taping on the other one. Between the shelves and the lab tables and everything else on wheels, life is good. I would also suggest putting it down on graph paper...also a big help. Good luck. I hope some of these ideas have helped or I am just blathering to hear myself write.

--------------------
Judy Grossman
JG Signs & Designs
226 W. Jackson St.
Sonora, CA 95370

Posts: 207 | From: Sonora, CA, USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!