Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Ceiling Sign Holder

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ceiling Sign Holder
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy, I doing some aisle signs for a wood worker supply store. They will hang from the ceiling. Outwater Plastics carries these metal pinch clip things, but maybe someone has other suggestions on how to hang them up. They will be made of wood and Komatex board. They might weight about 7  - pounds each.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Dish
Visitor
Member # 10782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Dish   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Dish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alica go to Hangups.com and look what they have. They are in Cal.

--------------------
Brian
Vinyl Signs
Pittsburgh, PA.

Posts: 159 | From: Pgh., PA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Alicia, we have done quite a few of these things, but I'm not sure they weighed that much. Those metal pinchy things work pretty well. You didn't say how many signs you were going to be hanging, but I think you'll be allright.

Just as a suggestion, lift up the ceiling tiles where you are hanging the signs, and try to see where the hanging wires are, for the suspended ceiling. Then try to spread the weight of the sign over 2 different wires, if possible.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Arnott
Resident

Member # 215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Arnott   Email John Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
most of those hanging signs like that are wood printed on to foam core or something light.
I love going to food supermarkets just to look at the display stuff. I often bring my camera.

--------------------
John Arnott
El Cajon CA
619 596-9989
signgraphics1@aol.com
http://www.signgraphics1.com

Posts: 1443 | From: El Cajon CA usa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We do a lot of thsi type of work. Like John said usually they are gatorfoam, not wood. Look at Hangups and you will see different types of ceiling track clips with their strength rating.
The two piece clam shell is what I usually use, it locks to the track. They also have lots of different types of line for hanging. Definately check the sturdyness of the track like Dale said, see where it's supported and how well.
If necessary you can use a bridge to span two tracks and increase the area the load is spread over. When hangning something really heavy you have to go up to the steel.

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1125 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The resson for the wood panels is because it's a wood worker supply store. Gotta push the real wood thing. Besides, the customer is providing the ready cut and stained panels. All I am doing are the small signs plus some painted pinstriping on the wood panel shapes.

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make him sign a waiver so if one comes crashing down on a customer they won't be able to sue you. I would think of using picture frame wire for extra strength and consider 4 wires & clips per sign to spread the weight. 7 lbs is quite a bit of weight for a suspended ceiling grid. I'd allso but from hangups.com.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Dave, I will not be hanging the signs. Just the thought of having to go up there and getting dusk in my eyes from the ceiling, plus having to deal with, "Where exactly do you want it".

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!