Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Heat press recommendations?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Heat press recommendations?
Scott Eckland
Visitor
Member # 3036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scott Eckland   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Eckland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are looking into a 16x20 sized heat press...any recommendations out there? Mainly t-shirts using Transfer Express.

Thanks for any input.
Scott

--------------------
Scott Eckland
Chelsea Signs
web: chelseasigns.com
email: scott@chelseasigns.com

Posts: 198 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Beach
Visitor
Member # 9850

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Beach   Email Dan Beach       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a basic Presta. It works well for the small volume I do.

--------------------
Dan Beach
Cylinder 9 Designs
1650 Glassboro Rd
Sewell, NJ 08080

Posts: 625 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
avoid teh cheap hinese devices.
I have one here. It is nice all except for one thing.
There are hot and cold spots all over the platen.

The temps vary as much as 15 degrees. I use a infra red heat device and measure the temps.

When I went to a place get a better press I tested them all first and saw how much they were out. Almost all of them had cold spots. All except the better name brand presses.

There is nothing worse than to press an image have part of it perfect and another part of it refuse to stick.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5273 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancy B. Bennett
Resident

Member # 1451

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy B. Bennett   Author's Homepage   Email Nancy B. Bennett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've used Hix for several years. About the only thing that goes wrong is the timer or the thermostat. Easy to fix.

--------------------
Nancy B. Bennett
Walldog Public Art
317 N. 13th St.
Centerville, Iowa 52544

Posts: 95 | From: Centerville, IA, USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a Stahl's Hotronix 15" I think- I have had a couple of Hixs for many years- I just sold one this summer, but the other one I bought used in 1985- I don't know about the 16x20 models, but I would spend a little more and get one that will last

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hix-we have an ancient one, and Nancy's comments are right! I use a digital timer, and an infrared thermometer just to be sure-the temp dial isn't too bad though.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have used Stahls Hot tronix Hot clam , 16 x20 platten
I have used it a lot for 14 years. It is a workhorse.
never a problem, no hot spots, temp has stayed accurate
Tha clam shell type (pull down) use less space than the
swing away type., and less likely to burn your hands

Diane

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1695 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PatRaap
Resident

Member # 4290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PatRaap   Author's Homepage   Email PatRaap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the Geo Knight 16 x 20, and have been real happy with it.

--------------------
Patricia A. Raap
Raap Signs
2615 Arthur
Coopersville, MI 49404
616-677-0158
pat@raapsigns.com

Posts: 575 | From: Coopersville, MI 49404 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been using a Black Maxx 16x20, made by Stahls, for 13 years or so and it works very well. I also have their cap press by the same name which is just as ruggedly built. They have basic dial thermometers and non-digital timers which always seem to work fine.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony McDonald
Resident

Member # 1158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony McDonald   Email Tony McDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got an old Hix off e-bay, and it's worked very well for the last 3-4 years. Had to replace the switch a few months ago, but that's it.
At times it would be nice if it had an automatic timer, and popped itself open.
With a lot of pressure, my wife sometimes has a hard time closing it and popping it open.
Don't really do enough to warrant a really nice one.

Have heard stories about the cheap ones on e-bay, with the uneven heat and pressure.

--------------------
Ace Graphics & Printing
Camdenton, MO. USA

acegraphics1@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1196 | From: Camdenton, MO. USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott Eckland
Visitor
Member # 3036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scott Eckland   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Eckland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow thanks for the responses. I've been eyeing the Stahls presses, yea they are a bit more, but I've bought stuff trying to save $ and gotten burned (pardon the pun). My partner was looking on ebay and was sending me all kinds of crazy cheap prices, but was trying to explain they would probably have cold spots and suck [Smile] Thanks for the backing on my argument.

Scott

--------------------
Scott Eckland
Chelsea Signs
web: chelseasigns.com
email: scott@chelseasigns.com

Posts: 198 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!