Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » STEVE JOBS HAS PASSED AWAY

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: STEVE JOBS HAS PASSED AWAY
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The world has lost a real genius. He will be missed

[Cool]

[ October 05, 2011, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: Rick Beisiegel ]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3485 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An American icon to be sure. Rest in Peace.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to loose another Mastermind but he'll be back as an iBot

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ephemeral.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie Lohmeyer
Visitor
Member # 2076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bernie Lohmeyer   Email Bernie Lohmeyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
only you Bill.........he he he

--------------------
Bernie Lohmeyer
Bernman Graphics
Osage City, KS

Posts: 268 | From: Osage City,Kansas U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Gaffney
Resident

Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Gaffney   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Gaffney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
His genius and products have changed a lot of how i live my life. R.I.P Steve

--------------------
Kevin Gaffney
Artistik Signs
Kinnegad
County Westmeath
Ireland
044-75187
kevingaffney@eircom.net

Posts: 628 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't own an I-Pad, an I-Phone, an I-Pod or a Mac but I'm sure he's had some impact on my life. It's rare for one person to have such an influence on a huge corporation, but he was truly a visionary and effective team-builder.
When he was in the process of transitioning from his daily CEO duties, he hired the president of Pepsi as Apple's chief. When he encountered some resistance, he looked the guy in the eye and said, "Do you want to sell sugar water or go with me and CHANGE THE WORLD?"
Pretty heavy stuff - gotta admire the man......

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard a radio host say that Steve Jobs was the Thomas Edison of our day. A pretty accurate analogy.

[Cool]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3485 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Modzel
Resident

Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Modzel   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Modzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's an interesting essay from Walt Mossberg

http://allthingsd.com/20111005/the-steve-jobs-i-knew/

--------------------
Bill Modzel
Mod-Zel screen Printing
Traverse city, MI
modzel@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1356 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lori Wilcox
Resident

Member # 8042

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lori Wilcox   Email Lori Wilcox       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He helped change the world and died too young.

--------------------
Lori Wilcox
Tabby Ink
Hinton, Alberta Canada
Ph 780-865-4305

Posts: 306 | From: Hinton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He was a great businessman but no Edison. Most of these devices were already invented. Heck, it was Wozniak that created the first apple. The graphical interface was Xerox along with the mouse, Jobs just saw what they couldn't.

Even the mp3 player was done first by others Jobs just made in more user friendly.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's an amazing writeup and explains why he passed away - by The Yahoo News.

I can't help but feel incredibly grateful to him for so many reason lately.

-

The story

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
iDon't have many of his products but iSure appreciate his vision and his genius. He iS certainly an iCon of the modern digital age.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
His vision shaped technology. Sure not all his products were invented by him, but he had the vision to develop and improve several. He'll be missed. RIP.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting article, Donna.

Also interesting that, in light of him being an 'abandoned' child, given up for adoption... that he would deny for several years he fathered a child with his highschool sweetheart... forcing them into collecting welfare. Nobody is perfect.

I was on YouTube listening to several of his philosophies on business, products, and marketing... and I loved the line, "....you have to focus on the customer experience FIRST, and then work down to the technology."

He held the customer in high-esteem.... although he was selling a product more than a service... it does bring to mind how many of us have occasionally jumped on this site to denigrate our customers (I've done it myself)... which is generally a mistake.

There are always low-life's that will pimp us over... but I think the vast majority of customers are decent human beings, and we should keep Job's philosophy of perfection, and the 'ultimate customer experience' in mind every day.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Brilliant. [Smile]

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Between Jobs and Harry Potter - I'm betting over-sized round glasses will be making a comeback.

OˆO

I wonder what an Apple brand vinyl-cutter would have looked like? )))))

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
“I would trade all of my technology for an afternoon with Socrates.” -Steve Jobs

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6714 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lori Wilcox
Resident

Member # 8042

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lori Wilcox   Email Lori Wilcox       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's my Mac story.

In March of 1984 I was the first person in Hinton to buy a computer (I'm positive of that!). I don't mean to seem braggish (my Mac says that's not a word!), only that since I had seen my first computer - a mainframe the size of a building, in our local pulp mill on a tour when I was in Grade 7 - I was fascinated - I was hooked!

-

I had heard the hype about 'Macintosh' - and I saved and saved to own one. It's all I could think about. The Greentree Lodge, now a Holiday Inn, was the first business to have a computer in our town of approx. 9,100 population.

So in March of 1984 I headed to Edmonton to purchase my computer. Let me tell you that a small town girl heading for the big city 3 hours away, by herself, was a big adventure at my young age. How I loved that cute little screen!! I never for two seconds investigated any other computer (were there any on the market at the same time!?) I just liked that little thing.

When I went to purchase my second computer, a vast upgrade from the original 128K Mac, it was the Macintosh SE, a 20mb (yah, MB, not GB) and my Mom asked me if it was powerful enough with enough storage to last me for a few years - I said it had so much it would last me the rest of my life! Little did I know!! I am now on my 12th Mac.

Scroll back a few years... (I can't seem to figure out how to integrate this in chronological order.)
I had just graduated from high school, started work at ATB, a bank, and was looking to continue my education. We have a local Consortium and I started taking college classes after work, 2-3 evenings a week. It took me 3 years to finish my Business program while working full time. My teachers asked me how I typed my assignments - I said I had a computer. The teachers had me type their assignments/Masters/PhDs... then through word of mouth, people started having me type for them, then asked if I could do this and that, I thought if I bought equipment for this and that I could offer it as a service. Spent many hours laying out ads for the newspaper, blah, blah, blah, and now hundreds of thousands of dollars in computers, software and equipment in all those years.

I worked at the bank for 10 years while growing my business, quit when our son Ryan was born, and I've never looked back. I've thoroughly enjoyed the journey.

I've watched Steve Jobs over all these years - such a loss, he was certainly a visionary and had a lot to do with how he shaped my life. I'm thankful for his vision, and I'm also thankful to my Letterville family because thanks to all of you, I can continue to grow in my craft.

Thanks for listening!
signed - the biggest Mac advocate I've ever seen!

--------------------
Lori Wilcox
Tabby Ink
Hinton, Alberta Canada
Ph 780-865-4305

Posts: 306 | From: Hinton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great story Lori.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Very good story... I can remember seeing one of those and thinking it was top-shelf back then! They've come a long way haven't they?

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/steve-jobs-final-wish-to-get-to-know-his-children-before-it-was-too-late-2367355.html

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HERE'S MY BRIEF STORY...

I knew a guy spending an extended vacation on the big island of Hawaii in 1988 who was visiting from the East Coast. He lived in New Hampshire, but kept an office in NCY. He sold computers, which mostly consisted of ordering them after a client consultation, & replacing the return address on the box & sending them out again. When he was in hawaii, he had a helper in New Hampshire meeting the UPS drivers, putting new return address labels on the boxes & scheduling the UPS pick-up...

Anyway, I moved to Manhatten in 1989, thinking I would just visit for a month, but fell in love with the city & decided to find a job & stay. I was staying up in New Hampshire for the weekend & asked him to help me make a resume. I had just finished a trade school architectural drafting program.

He had a Macintosh that looked just like Lori's and told me to just start typing my info, without any regard to carriage returns, alignment, fonts or sizes... at the small college in Hawaii, even the drafting program had yet to introduce CAD (though they did the next year) so although I was quite familiar with concepts of well aligned groups of information, I was not at all used to computer or desktop publishing terms... but i typed in the info & then my friend showed me how he copied and pasted different headings, body copy & assigned everything different weights, fonts and sizes... and played with align and distribute functions.. and in short order he had created an awesome resume... at which time it was late at night & he was ready to retire for the evening... and I asked if i could mess around with the mac... which I proceeded to do for half the night...
-
-
-
-
and then I was back in the city & decided to apply for a graphics position at ASI architectural sign systems.. which I was told i was over qualified for & would i be interested in this other position... and did i have any experience on a mac.. to which I said "of course"
-
-
-
-
and for the last 22 years, I have been working on computers literally almost every day since!

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doug, I liked your story. It's interesting that while we share a common vocation, our reasons for starting are quite different.

[Cool]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982

David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

quote:
Originally posted by Rick Beisiegel:
Doug, I liked your story. It's interesting that while we share a common vocation, our reasons for starting are quite different.

[Cool]

Yes, I find sign people just as interesting.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!