Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » St.Marie Graphics is in trouble

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: St.Marie Graphics is in trouble
Pierre St.Marie
Visitor
Member # 1462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pierre St.Marie   Author's Homepage   Email Pierre St.Marie       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the past 8 years the digital print side of the business has grown beyond what we ever expected. Its now an easy 40% of our business volume and an easy 15% of total income. In this 8 year period we've been using a Mutoh Falcon Outdoor 48" printer. The annual servcice warrantee was about $2,500 a year. After 3 years Latigo "obtained" a true service manual and, in short order, began doing all the the service and parts replacement himself.

Smooth sailing until last week on tuesday. The heater ceased to function, no big deal, right? Not so fast there Roger Potrzbie. Mutoh hasn't made that replacement electroinc circuit board in more than 3 years. Now we have an unuseable perfectly fine printer. No heat... no useable prints.

This is what we desperately need. Our three options are the new Mutoh 1624, the HP L25500 and the Mimaki JV33. All are within a few grand of each other but houir upon hour of researching reviews has given us little info that's truly definitive.

At first blush, the obvious would be Mutoh since Lat is well versed in the base components of service, calibration and repair, but........ It may not be the one we really need here. Of import is how tough the printer is, ink/media performance, ease of service and serviceable longevity.

If anyone here has solid experience with any or all of the above, we'd really like a contact phone so he can call you and discuss your own take on any or all 3 printers. We have an insane work load building up after just 4 days of being down and are desperate to get a machine on the way. All 3 are ready to ship to us but we need your input.

If you are of a mind to help us, please email your phone number to me at our unposted private address.... [EMAIL="mkntraks@centurytel.net"]mkntraks@centurytel.net[/EMAIL] We will bless your current and as yet unborn children with all of the power behind the Goddess Buddah.... ette. (You never know!) :thankyou:

--------------------
Pierre St.Marie
Stmariegraphics
Kalispell,Mt
www.stmariegraphics.com
------------------
Plan on knowing everything before I die and time's running out!

Posts: 4223 | From: Kalispell,Mt 59903 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Evans
Visitor
Member # 44

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Evans   Email Bruce Evans       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
could you not add an offline heater/dryer? the types that sit towards the front of the machine? I've seen them before but can't remember who sells them.

--------------------
Bruce Evans
Crown Graphics
Chino, CA
graphics@westcoach.net

Posts: 910 | From: Chino, CA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pierre St.Marie
Visitor
Member # 1462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pierre St.Marie   Author's Homepage   Email Pierre St.Marie       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We do have a Digi-Dry unit but it's the internal heater that's shot. Without that inital heat at point of contact the inks don't penetrate the films. The surface heater isn't nearly enough and allows little penetration.
Thanks for the response.
P

--------------------
Pierre St.Marie
Stmariegraphics
Kalispell,Mt
www.stmariegraphics.com
------------------

Posts: 4223 | From: Kalispell,Mt 59903 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blake Koehn
Visitor
Member # 5984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blake Koehn   Author's Homepage   Email Blake Koehn       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know why you didn't add Rolands into your question, but after running one every day and a lot of the nights for the last 5 years, it would be the only brand I would consider.

I have done all my own maintenance and repairs since the day I bought mine, since the closest repair person is a 4 hour drive away. I have never bought any kind of service or maintenance contract at all on it. It is a very simple straight forward piece of equipment to work on and keep up.

I really don't know personally but what I have heard about the daily maintenance routines of the Mimaki is enough reason that I don't need one.

I have stopped printing, walked out of the shop, taken a two week vacation, returned to the shop and went right back to printing without so much as even walking over there and looking at my machine. As long as you leave it plugged in so it can do its own maintenance cycles while you are gone it requires no attention at all.

--------------------
Art that sells.

There is joy in the journey.

Blake Koehn
www.prodigitalsupply.com
Macon, MS 39341
admin@prodigitalsupply.com

Posts: 493 | From: Macon, Ms | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pierre St.Marie
Visitor
Member # 1462

Thanks Blake. I just forwarded your response to Latigo. We need a machine as fast as we can work this out.

--------------------
Pierre St.Marie
Stmariegraphics
Kalispell,Mt
www.stmariegraphics.com
------------------

Pierre St.Marie
Visitor
Member # 1462

We have our solution from some actual users. Thanks to those that answered, and thank you, Blake for speaking to Lat.

--------------------
Pierre St.Marie
Stmariegraphics
Kalispell,Mt
www.stmariegraphics.com
------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!