Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » No More Cursive Handwriting in Schools (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: No More Cursive Handwriting in Schools
Nikki Goral
Resident

Member # 7844

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nikki Goral   Author's Homepage   Email Nikki Goral       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I get all fired up at school time! We definitely get our money's worth though; without a doubt.

--------------------
Nikki Goral
Image Advantage Signs
4050 Champeau Road
New Franken, WI 54229
920-465-4500
"Finish every day and be done with it. Tomorrow is a new day."-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 928 | From: New Franken, WI (East Green Bay) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yep- after getting really involved in our school and the public school where our adopted kids came from, coaching basketball, teaching, etc. I have come to the conclusion that a lot of the problems associated with our general education system lies with the moronic parents- I'm not sure what has happened over the years, but sometimes it is simply ridiculous...

The parents are either non-existent in the kid's life, or they are so over protective that they smother the kids. There are the faithful few that get it right- they are very easy to spot- the ones who volunteer, active parents who try to teach their kids respect for authority and property, to take responsibility for their actions, their kids are the ones you actually tolerate (sometimes even enjoy) being around.

Like I said, my wife has been teaching for over 16 years- over the years we have seen some wild things with kids and parents-

this past year, she has been battling a parent who has allowed her child to simply not do the required work, fail an entire years worth of a subject, then get upset when the child is not allowed to pass to the next grade- as a result, the child has learned that he doesn't have to do anything he doesn't want to do, because mommy will come to his rescue- and the teachers are made out to be the bad guys... the real sad part is, this child will more than likely go to another school and be allowed to advance to the next grade (the kid can do the work, just chooses not to)

One parent complained that it was unfair to expect her child to write in cursive or to be graded on spelling, because they came from another school that didn't care how they wrote or spelled- they didn't want to hurt the child's self-esteem...

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1736 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael, you nailed many of the problems in our public schools. My wife taught art for 33 years and she has seen the same thing over and over again. She was forced into retirement (yeah, tenure really helped her) when the school didn't want to pay her salary (and believe me, she earned every penny) so they cut her program to so few hours we couldn't afford to have her work. Her retirement income is half of what she made teaching, and working would be even less. So she subs and does other odd jobs to make up some of the difference until she can start social security in 2 years.

I can't go into what else I feel is wrong with schools without breaking forum rules, but Nikki's first post on page one,skirts the issue, and is a vital component of the breakdown in behavior with children, along with the abolishment of the pledge of allegiance. It's all about values, and kid's values are at a civilization low in my book. Kids today don't think twice at telling a teacher to "F" off. When I was in school we wouldn't have even thought of saying that to a teacher. In most cases there just aren't enough consequences from the administration or the parents.

And now back on topic, yes I believe cursive should continue to be taught in schools. If anything the kids need a break from texting so hopefully they won't all have arthritis or repetitive stress syndrome in their thumbs by the time they are 35.

[ August 05, 2011, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: Dave Sherby ]

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All of ours were home schooled and all three have graduated. They can read, write in cursive, do math on paper and, contrary to a common belief, they didn't turn out to be social misfits.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7404 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe in home schooling when a parent is educated and does not have an outside job. But I've seen a lot of people that can't add for squat, can't even find an inch mark on a ruler. You want them homeschooling our future generations? Just watch Jaywalking on Leno some time. The average person isn't capable of teaching our youth.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree; it's not for everyone. But most people I know seem to have adequate education and intelligence. Why not take advantage of an available freedom and privilege before it too is lost?

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7404 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nikki, that was a great read. And gave me lots to think about. Thanks. [Smile]

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelsey Dum
Visitor
Member # 6101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelsey Dum   Author's Homepage   Email Kelsey Dum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw people when I was in COLLEGE that couldn't read a ruler. Parents are absent a lot these days but the line of discipline and abuse is so fine (according to society) that I think some parents are afraid to discipline their kids. I'm 28 and some schools I attended still gave swats with a wooden paddle... things have changed though.

I think part of this is the shows on TV. These so called kids shows make the parents look like idiots and the kids rule the house, and some shows have the 12-14 year old living by themselves and the parents aren't even characters on the show. I despise Disney and Nickelodeon is getting just as bad.

I record the "good" shows and control what my kids watch at home... but I can't control what they see outside the home. That's why it's important for the parents to step in and TAKE CHARGE!

--------------------
Kelsey Dum
Dum Designs
Sherwood, AR 72120
kelsey@dumdesigns.com

Posts: 827 | From: Sherwood, AR | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Back in the 50's there were shows like "Father Knows Best" and "Leave it to Beaver" with a conventional family where both parents were respected and Dad was a wise, thoughtful figure in the home. Then the 60's the "Beverly Hillbillies" had an unconventional family which wasn't made up of Mom, Dad and kids but the patriarch was still the wise leader. It was the same with the earlier "Andy Griffith" shows; you had an unconventional home but the leader in the home was a man who was still highly respected and 'moral' but it was OK to lie every once in awhile. When we got to the 70's though, Fred Sanford and Archie Bunker were foolish, dishonest, and in conflict with the kids. Sitcoms progressed until both Dad and Mom were disrespected or at least out of touch with reality, Dad was a dishonest fool and the kids have all the wisdom. But I haven't watched TV in several years so, maybe they've gotten better?

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And these same kids will eventually grow up and run this country, glad I won't be around [Smile]

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!