Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Artist needs a job.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Artist needs a job.
Kelsey Dum
Visitor
Member # 6101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelsey Dum   Author's Homepage   Email Kelsey Dum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm really considering moving to somewhere I can start doing some real work. I stay fairly busy around here but not like I would if I lived, well, basically anywhere but here (Little Rock, Arkansas). If someone needs an airbrusher/pinstriper/bodyman/welder/mechanic/graphic designer/animator I've got some great experience and can do just about anything. If I don't know it I'm a quick learner.

I don't mind moving across the pond if need be.

Most of you are familiar with my work but if not here's my website.

www.dumdesigns.com

Thanks,
A forever greatful friend, Kelsey.

--------------------
Kelsey Dum
Dum Designs
Sherwood, AR 72120
kelsey@dumdesigns.com

Posts: 827 | From: Sherwood, AR | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donald Miner
Visitor
Member # 6472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donald Miner   Email Donald Miner       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AWSAME! Are you sure you are not triplets or something. You should be able to write your own ticket to anywhere. I wish you the best, go where you are the happiest. Good Luck! Don

--------------------
Donald Miner
ABCO Wholesale Neon
1168 Red Hill Creek
Dobson, NC

Posts: 842 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great work Kelsey! YOu should be able to find something about anywhere doing that good of work.

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Located at 109 N. Cumberland ave.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I had to relocate, I might think about good old California. Northern California. Like around Placerville, hill country. I don't like real heat. But on the other hand. "Baby Boomers" are now giving up the cash. They want to buy toys. So maybe Arizona mgiht be your ticket. Because of you specials talents, you might try to hook up with a legend such as Gene Winfield. He's somewhere in Death Valley, Mojave desert down in So. California.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go to Orlando, and work for Disney.

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelsey Dum
Visitor
Member # 6101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelsey Dum   Author's Homepage   Email Kelsey Dum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No offense but I kind of despise Disney.

Alicia, that's sort of where I was thinking. I know there are a lot of shows and a big hot rod scene in Vegas too. I'll try to contact Mr. Winfield and see if he has some advice. It would be more than an honor to work with someone like him. California sounds good but I know they have some wacky laws... such as the new class they are starting to teach in public schools (gay history?), and I have 2 kids to think about also.

I do have a few hot rod buddies that live in AZ so maybe I can go that route.

Keep the ideas coming. I sure appreciate the insight.

--------------------
Kelsey Dum
Dum Designs
Sherwood, AR 72120
kelsey@dumdesigns.com

Posts: 827 | From: Sherwood, AR | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelsey, have you considered the Myrtle Beach area? It's a resort community with a very large contingent of motorcycle and car nuts.....

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
all of florida has CAR GUYS!!! i lived in sarasota, home of RINGLING BROS CIRCUS, RINGLING SCHOOL OF ART, and people with schit loads a money. most in coastal cities dump money into BOATS!!! still tampa/st pete to napels.........some fantastic cars.
now iam here on the " gold coast." mainland florida, to new orleans, we have the CRUISE THE COAST hot rod. custom, antique run every march i think. February we got MARDI GRAS!!! and lot of talented painters & custom auto shops. you aint that far from the fastest growing part of the u.s.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelsey Dum
Visitor
Member # 6101

I had a random offer to move to Miami a while back, but the wife was NOT having any of that but I have heard northern Florida is a lot nicer... and when I say nicer I mean your chances of getting shanked are a lot lower. As much as I don't want to admit it I may have to start looking somewhere closer to the west coast.

Not sure I'm ready for California yet, but Nevada, New Mexico and Arizona sound pretty neat. A lot of good shows out that way. hmmmmmmm?

--------------------
Kelsey Dum
Dum Designs
Sherwood, AR 72120
kelsey@dumdesigns.com

George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelsey Dum:

Not sure I'm ready for California yet, but Nevada, New Mexico and Arizona sound pretty neat. A lot of good shows out that way. hmmmmmmm?

You might have the answer there. [Smile]

Just about anywhere you go will be better than the mid south. There are almost NO custom painters down this way, anybody that gets really good at airbrushing ends up leaving, pinstripers are few and far between. People around here simply don't want that sort of thing, not in numbers that will support a living.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelsey Dum
Visitor
Member # 6101

George, I knew that when I moved here but somehow the stubborn side of me said I will FORCE these people to realize there are good artists in the mid south... but the truth is there just isn't the same money being spent here like other places. I grew up here and know that Arkansas is like the 3rd poorest state (or something like that). I do like the people though. I guess it's that southern hospitality and honor code.

--------------------
Kelsey Dum
Dum Designs
Sherwood, AR 72120
kelsey@dumdesigns.com

jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out around Farmington,New Mexico and the towns across the border in So.Colorado. A lot of people moved to that area from Phoenix,Az. and took their money with the before the bottom dropped out..

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do some homework, Kelsey. With your talents, you should do well, once you get a good home base.

The southwest area, around Phoenix, is going crazy right now, if you can stand the heat.

I'd stay away from California, for a lot of reasons.....regulations and "otherwise"

Living in central Florida for 5 years, there was so much competition, and fly-by niters, that nobody was making any money.

Here in the mid-south, like George said, I've had truck shops tell me, " Nobody does that anymore." (pinstriping) I've still got a couple dealers calling me to do striping. I'm the only one around Jackson, and I can't do it anymore, since my stroke.

Good luck in your search. I hope you find somewhere that you're covered up with work. It's the kinda stuff I wish I was still able to do.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know a guy here in KC who started out as a manager at some new car store and years ago left to go handstripe. He calls on high end stores (Lexus, MB, BMW and the like) He has a good business of handstriping and also sells wood appliques for dashes and interiors. Interesting niche and he has done OK over the years. I think any market you pick would bear fruit. All it takes is persistence and reliable work. The worst thing you can do is not show up when you say with these guys. Even if it is raining, you got to show up on time.

There was another British guy who was a legend around these parts. He bought an old telephone van from SW Bell for $4500 at an auction and filled it up with pennants and flags and light bulbs. He went around to various new car lots and hung pennants and bulbs. The interesting part was that he hired a couple of strippers from some topless place to help him out. They wore shorts and really got the car dogs to look. The threesome ran all over the midwest and he had a terrific business. Cost him ten grand to get started with the van and the inventory, he said. He musta been around for ten years and then retired at 50 with pockets full of dough. Sold the van with a bucket and ran off with one of his helpers. He had a very long mustache and was quite a character. I heard today he is out in the desert in California making canons with some hipster and attends the Burning Man deal every year.

I knew another guy who for 25 years just hung tape stripes for the car dogs. He had a great business for many years, but finally gave it up. His secret to success was that he always showed up when he said and built many long term relationships with the car dogs. Once again, reliability proved to his advantage as the comepetition would simply not show when needed.

I knew another couple of women who had a little truck with a topper on the back. They ran all over the south LA area and simply had hundreds of pint cans of touch up lacquer. They would get $45 a car to brush touch the chips and were very sharp and professional looking. One guy I knew well said he asked them how much money they were making and they admitted they were making a fortune. 10-20 grand a week, sometimes. They had all the big lots covered and were fast as lightning. Go fig.

I also recall when I was a kid on my dad's used car lot. There was a guy who bought a new Chevy station wagon every year and went to New Orleans in the winter. He would fill the car up with leather chamois...hundreds of them, probably more. He would drive from Louisiana up to Chicago and many other points east and west of there, stopping at every new and used car lot, selling chamois for ten bucks. He paid a buck each for them. At the end of the summer, he retired for the year and got to drive around in the Chevy wagon which smelled of the delightful odor of fresh leather chamois. Traded it in after Xmas and got another new one (of course after resetting the clock to less miles...the standard for the day prior to Jul 1, 1973, when the Federal odometer law went into force.) He always had great stories to tell and every year, I enjoyed seeing the guy again at my dad's. We would buy five or eight of them. They had a little branding mark on them depicting a naked girl on the water's edge that I dreamed about as a kid. It was his trademark.

There are many ways to the top of the mountain, Kelsey. You just have to pick one and give it a hard push. I have heard of many people over the years who made big money being a road gypsy with some niche. Good luck.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trust me, you don't want to move to Florida. It's in the crapper and getting worse by the minute with our new idiot governor.

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Posts: 3502 | From: Lake Helen, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amy, you may think Florida is the pits, and it's probably very close, but I've been to Little Rock, AR, and believe me, that is the absolutely last place in these United States that I would want to live.

Kelsey, I don't blame you for wanting to get out of there. Good Luck.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watch it Dave, you are going to bring down the usual comments on Michigan.

It matters somewhat where you live, but to a large extent you have to carve out your own wherever you live. I remember a quote Jill used once, "you bloom where you are planted". I agree, and if that means moving somewhere else you got to give time to get roots and not blame your surroundings.

Look at Peter's thread here where he complains about wraps hurting his business, before that I remember similar laments about poor business. He is in Long Island NY. I would think with all the money and commerce there it would be easy to get by on just the crumbs left by others. Apparently not.

My daughter and her husband left here for Tampa years ago basically writing this area off for supposedly greener pastures. Nothing good so far, and really a step back for them. You never know.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Queensland Australia!

Great climate

Lots of work

Even give you a place to stay

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that's a real move, Australia. Man, I'd even like that one meself.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I have been to Little Rock on several trips and found the business climate there very refreshing. The clients I talked with were respectful and very attentive. Even had a couple boys call me back to come again when my brother was living north of there in Springfield, MO. I especially love the way they talk with that distinguished southern drawl....plus I did see some very lovely women there! I would definitely go back, if I was not so busy up here. Better than St. Louis or Omaha, I found in terms of business climate in general. They give you their full attention and are courteous in a way you do not see other places.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Little Rock is not bad, it's just most of this area doesn't have enough money pouring in the system to generate growth-- the economy is vastly different even as close as NorthWest Arkansas (Fayetteville, Springdale, Rogers area) there is considerable business growth and people are moving in that area.

Moving somewhere else might generate more business, but you may have to look at the cost of living and compare that to LR- I know there is no way I could afford a 3000sqft house and shop on 3 acres of land, in the city limits with all the utilities--anywhere near what I pay here.

but, maybe a move or change of location is exactly what you need...

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
btw- we still need to do lunch sometime- I'm around LR quite a bit- I'll holler at ya the next time I'm down...

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deri Russell
Resident

Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deri Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Deri Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Applause] [Applause] [Applause] Three cheers for Kelsey! A talented young man with enough *ahem* to go and get it. Find your spot, you are talented enough you just need to research the statistics a bit. Take a trip with your family before you pack and when you get somewhere you think you would like start asking questions. Go into a restaurant, ask the guy at the next table. Visit the real estate offices, check out what property is worth. Walk into a sign shop, see what's happening. Get a general idea of what the economy is in that town. Do the research, take notes. When you find a place that you can afford but its close enough to the people you are targeting for business, then go home and pack. This may require a couple road trips, perhaps in several different directions, but that is cheaper than just going and not knowing if that is the right spot.

--------------------
Deri Russell
Wildwood Signs
Hanover, Ontario

You're just jealous 'cause the little voices only talk to me.

Posts: 1904 | From: Hanover, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelsey Dum
Visitor
Member # 6101

Man, sooo much good advice I don't know where to start. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Arkansas but like Michael said there just insn't the revenue to grow. I feel like I'm at the peak of my business here. I was doing about 2-3 pinstriping jobs per week lately and it just fell off... and I mean FELL OFF. I do work with a lot of hot rodders but do work with every major dealership here (maybe 5 or 6 MAJOR dealerships in the area) also and it's totally hit or miss here. I might make $2,000 in one week but not do a job for 2 or 3 weeks. Right now I haven't done a pinstriping job in almost a month.

Michael, hit me up when your close. I'd love to have lunch.

George, I KNOW you come here so I expect a call in advance next time.LOL

Preston, I've considered Springfield, or at least that area. It's close to a lot of good shows. I've also thought about Tennessee. My good friend Mike Faig (who I owe some panels too) lives there and they have the hunnert car ppile-up and the redneck rumble amongst other great shows.

Buuuuut, I like Alicia's advice and Jon's offer. I even have a dijuridoo and have been practicing. Seriously Jon, if you have work for me there I would love to move to Australia. I'll email you because I'm totally serious about broadening my horizons. I think my kids would love it too.

--------------------
Kelsey Dum
Dum Designs
Sherwood, AR 72120
kelsey@dumdesigns.com

Kelsey Dum
Visitor
Member # 6101

By the way... here's a new one I did recently.

-

-

-

--------------------
Kelsey Dum
Dum Designs
Sherwood, AR 72120
kelsey@dumdesigns.com

Kelsey Dum
Visitor
Member # 6101

Jon, Australia is seeming kind of iffy. The dollar in the US seems to be close to the same as Australia but the cost of living seems to be higher... but maybe that's comparison to living in LA or NYC. Let me know if your really serious. I looked and plane tickets are reasonable. If I could even come out for a month or so to check it out I am definitely interested. I'm the type of person that enjoys quality of life over making a million bucks. If I could at least get by and be happy in Australia it would be worth it to me... and my family... and I would love the experience.

Anyone else have any offers? I promise to be the best artist you've worked with (or will eventually be).

--------------------
Kelsey Dum
Dum Designs
Sherwood, AR 72120
kelsey@dumdesigns.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!