Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » w x h and Industry Standards

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: w x h and Industry Standards
Lori Wilcox
Resident

Member # 8042

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Lori Wilcox   Email Lori Wilcox       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, I really hate to be picky ... but there are some things that bug me and I have tried to educate my clients in how to state sign measurements properly so there is no confusion.

Yes we refer to sheets of material as 4' x 8', but when it comes to signage, the width is quoted first, then the height. W x H is a mathematical formula and it is an industry standard.

Just like we say, 'Bride & Groom' - 'Salt & Pepper' - 'Black and White', etc. - there are standards that are used - we just don't say them backwards. My other pet peeve is people who refer to the ceiling as the roof, use 'loose' when they really mean 'lose', 'unthaw' instead of 'thaw' and the very often (especially on this BB) mistaken use of 'your' and 'you're' which of course is a conjunction for 'you are' ... [Bash] I've even heard people use the word 'height' as 'heighth', which drives me crazy up one more rung of the ladder.

Anyway, enough ranting... it was a recent post that sparked this topic.

This is quoted from a Google search:
'WHAT COMES FIRST? WIDTH OR HEIGHT?
I had a conversation with a fellow sign-maker recently that turned into a battle of wits. It was fun. No harm, no foul. We were both trying to convince the other of whether width or height comes first in the world of 2D measurements.

Thus, the inspiration for this article.

Whether you’re into a building project and ordering windows, or designing the perfect tradeshow exhibit, providing accurate measurements is mandatory.

However, the one thing that plagues the world of measurements is orientation.

Let’s take an 8 foot by 4 foot banner. Which way is it oriented? Landscape or Portrait? Tall or wide? Is that measured east to west, or north to south? There are many approaches to resolving references to orientation. But what indicators are there that will set your perspective in stone? What is the standard?

What comes first?

The Graphics’ industry standard is width by height (width x height). Meaning that when you write your measurements, you write them from your point of view, beginning with the width.

That’s important. When you give us instructions to create an 8×4 foot banner, we’ll design a banner for you that is wide, not tall.

So, who says width by height is “The Standard”? I can break it out by layout programs such as Quark, Photoshop, Illustrator, or Indesign. They all use the width by height order to determine orientation. But, let’s take it down to a more natural level. Which way do you read (assuming you read English literature)? Left to right, first, then down the length of the page.'

There... I feel better already! and... hopefully I haven't spelled anything incorrectly or used words in the wrong context! I am not perfect, and I am always willing to take criticism and learn from my mistakes.

This is not intended to be hurtful in any way. It is for the betterment of the use of the English language. Perhaps no one has taken the time to point out the difference.

Thanks for listening. [Smile]

--------------------
Lori Wilcox
Tabby Ink
Hinton, Alberta Canada
Ph 780-865-4305

Posts: 306 | From: Hinton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree!

my clients often say width and length... and I convert to calling the height the height... sometimes it turns out their "width" was the height...

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Graphic Industry Standards tend toward being print oriented and have a two-dimensional bias. However, we do function in a three-dimensional world, so while those guidelines have some value when dealing with two dimensional formats, what are the proper way of expressing dimensions when dealing with a spherical shape?

I've lettered things like refinery storage units and basketballs that were spherical. Width and height are the same, but there's an element of distortion that has to be dealt with. I once had to letter an Orange Crush Logo onto a pop-up trailer that was made to resemble a huge orange. Patterns were out of the question, and projection didn't work because of the 3-dimensional surface.

Ultimately, I managed to solve that problem, and later on, I'll reveal the solution that worked for me. However, just for some creative exercise, I'd be interested in hearing how some of the creative thinkers here might have tackled such a project.

--------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail: kjmlhenry@rogers.com

Why do I get all those on-line offers to sell me Viagara, when the only thing hardening is my arteries ?

Posts: 2684 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never assume which is which so I ask "how tall is it from top to bottom and how long is it?"

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam M Cranmer
Visitor
Member # 8100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam M Cranmer   Email Adam M Cranmer       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Geometry class I was taught "rise over run" for graphing the slope of a line. This would equate to dictating the height, then the width of an object. My brain has been stuck on this ever since and I have always had to reverse myself in design programs and supplies catalogs.

--------------------
Adam Cranmer
3545 Forest Park Drive
Kissimmee, FL 34741

Posts: 72 | From: Kissimmee, FL | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always draw a picture of size along with the dimension, so every body knows what, and when i had sales people they also did same, no question about what W & H was

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get it, you ought to try using Estimate 2.0 in different modules. The layout is different in each module. In vinyl signs, it is width and height. In thermal printing for example, it is width and length.

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Lori,
As the line between the printing and sign industry blurs, things become a little more confusing because of the differences between the way we work.

When I was in the printing industry (newspaper & magazine), we always called out width first then the height.

However, in the sign business, I was taught to call out height first then width. Now that many more shops are doing 3-D, things are getting even more complicated because you have X, Y & Z coordinates. X being horizontal, Y being vertical and Z being depth.

To avoid any confusion when talking with a client, I always say "X tall" by "X wide" by "X deep". It may not be the right way, but it works for me.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Checkers, wouldn't that be x tall, by y wide, by z deep? lol

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW.. I just say this a serious case of OCD.

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lori,

Your loosing me in you're argument's about heighth.

I thawd I thaw a puddy tat... but I did'nt, so I guess I unthaw it.

I've given up trying to edumicate every one.

Now, my own post is getting me sick.

I just label the drawings appropriately.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5089 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy Pate
Resident

Member # 237

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy Pate   Email Judy Pate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lori,
I have always used height by the width (i.e. 4' x 8')like our substrates are called. Just makes more sense to me.
Judy

--------------------
Judy Pate
Signs By Judy
Albany, Georgia USA
229-435-6824

Live simply...Love generously...Care deeply...Speak kindly...Leave the rest to God.

Posts: 2621 | From: Albany,GA,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seeing as I own and operate a router I should know this stuff... but its like a lot of other things I should know. My head is so full every time I push something new in something old falls out the other side.

These days I stick to sweating the important stuff... like knowing the names of Phoebe's stuffed animals that she plays with at our house. [Smile]

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't understand anything in this thread, except what Dan said.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll stick with X, Y and Z

then again I'm working in a 3D world most of the time....plus most people don't know what you are talking about, which is nice.

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lori Wilcox
Resident

Member # 8042

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lori Wilcox   Email Lori Wilcox       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David - now that's phunney!!

--------------------
Lori Wilcox
Tabby Ink
Hinton, Alberta Canada
Ph 780-865-4305

Posts: 306 | From: Hinton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it's like the pants thing. 26 waist 34 lenght.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3820 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has long been the tradition in the fine arts world to give height first, width second.

But when giving or taking an order for something nothing makes sense except to specify ht, w, d.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm,

in the building trade downunder, we always specify timber by the biggest sectional figure first. eg 4" x 2", 3 x 2, 6 x 2, 8 x 2, 3 x 1.5, etc.(i.e. the skinniest bit secondly, no matter which way you're going to stand it.

It always struck me as weird that in North America, you usually call them two by fours, instead of four by twos, but then you also drive on the wrong side of the road, so that explains your weirdness, I guess... [Wink]

With ordering corro (we call it corflute), the first figure is the direction in which the flutes run. We specify it in metric, even if imperial sizes are used, so a 3 x 2 ft has the flutes 3 ft long, and a 2 x 3 ft corro sheet has the flutes across the narrower dimension-the width, irrespective of which way you'd going to nail it up.

With sheets of steel, alupanel etc, it's still the biggest measurement first. 8 x 4 ft, 10 x 5 ft etc. The make sure you work out whether it's standing upright, or long. Banners, 12 x 3 ft, whether wide or tall, just clarify 'landscape or portrait' if you think they know what you're talking about!

I don't think it's standard as such- more of a convention.

Ah, yes, it's x,y & z on the router...

As for hating the mixing of your/you're I agree totally!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Rochon:
Checkers, wouldn't that be x tall, by y wide, by z deep? lol

Sure Bob, just go ahead and muddy the water even more [Smile]

As the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words. So, if the sign is worth a darn, I'll make sure the client signs off on the picture (proof) before I produce it.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graham Parsons
Resident

Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graham Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Graham Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is a banner "4 feet wide x 10 feet long", but a sign is "4 feet high x 10 feet wide"? Confuzzles the heck out of me!

--------------------
Graham Parsons
Signs 'n Such Ltd
Swift Current
Saskatchewan
Canada.
www.signsnsuch.com

"Saskatchewan - hard to pronounce, easy to draw"

Posts: 710 | From: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ian,

If you look straight through the earth at us, we are driving on the same side you are.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5089 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will ask the customer, "Do you mean vertical or horizontal? when referring to a measurement.
If that confuses them, I just draw the shape on the work order that I'm filling out!

And yes Lori, your welcome. (I know it's you're, just trying to be cute).

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 870 | From: 2718-b Grovelin Godfrey, Illinois 62035 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Modzel
Resident

Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Modzel   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Modzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ian, your guys are down under. Our lumber is the opposite.
We buy 2x4's, 4x6's, 1x3's.

--------------------
Bill Modzel
Mod-Zel screen Printing
Traverse city, MI
modzel@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1357 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Modzel
Resident

Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Modzel   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Modzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops, we also post twice just to make sure.

[ January 20, 2011, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: Bill Modzel ]

--------------------
Bill Modzel
Mod-Zel screen Printing
Traverse city, MI
modzel@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1357 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

2x2

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I ask the lumberman for a 2 x 4 and he asks me how long I want it, I never know whether he he's taking about the size or the time I will keep it.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about people that write, "That was to funny."

Ummm.... I think that should be 'too' funny.

We had to attend school through the 12th grade by state law... I guess that's not true everywhere. LOL.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must be kinda old...I still think a 2x4 is a 2x4.(I know, it is a lot smaller in dimension now) It is a chunk of lumber that is usually 8' long but available in other lengths too.

And a 4x8 is still a 4'x8' plywood panel. Yes you can hold it vertical or horizontal, but it is still a 4x8!!! [Big Grin]

Any time I did a layout I sent or gave the client a layout plan. Vertical is vertical and horizontal is horizontal.

I had a friend here in Mexico ask me if I could do a simple printed poster for her that could be printed on a legal sized sheet of paper and laminated..I did it as if the paper was vertical...She loved it but said...No, I meant horizontal...No prob, I just rearranged and re-sized stuff and did it that way. No biggie, it was one retiree helping another with some volunteer stuff.

I guess communication is key?

(edited for typos)

[ January 20, 2011, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: Dave Grundy ]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8880 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Smith
Visitor
Member # 146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm making a shingle for a CPA today who wants it "1.5 foot wide by 1 foot wide."
Might send him a proof first [Smile] .

[ January 21, 2011, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: Frank Smith ]

--------------------
Frank Smith
Frank Smith Signs
Albany, NY
www.franksmithsigns.com

Posts: 807 | From: Albany, NY USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Frank,

Are you sure your CPA didn't work in a government budget office before he entered private practice?

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!