Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » 1-shot gold size

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 1-shot gold size
Kevin W. Betz
Resident

Member # 4133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin W. Betz   Email Kevin W. Betz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard they will not be making this anymore. Does anyone know of this?

--------------------
Kevin Betz
KB Sign Company
21321 Ulrich
Clinton Township, MI 48036
kbsigncompany@att.net

Posts: 229 | From: Detroit, MI | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wouldn't surprise me that they would get rid of their only decent product.

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill ... it hasn't been a decent product for a long time!

When 1Shot first came out with it's gold size ... it was beautiful stuff!

They changed the formula and now it SUCKS ... big time!

So let it die a miserable death that it deserves!

Just my 2¢ worth!

[ August 28, 2010, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: Si Allen ]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Boone
Deceased

Member # 308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Boone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
try rolco

--------------------
Michael Boone
Sign Painter
5828 Buerman Rd.Sodus,NY 14551

Posts: 3223 | From: Sodus,NY,USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohh The cans I have are about 12 years old.. Still many of them unopened so I thought it was still the same.

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry Starpoli
Visitor
Member # 1559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry Starpoli   Author's Homepage   Email Jerry Starpoli       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One Shot is now crap Shot.
Once the greatest, now the worst.
Rolco and Luco both work for me.

--------------------
Jerry Starpoli
Starpoli Signs... since 1952

845-795-2438

Posts: 446 | From: Milton, NY US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alan Johnson
Visitor
Member # 2513

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alan Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow and I got a hate letter from 1-Shot for saying it was not like it use to be and the black flattened in about 5 months and the maroon was useless! I didn't get much support from the " Letterheads" either. BUT go get your selves some,Interlux #100 Jet Speed Varnish(if you can find it) This is the product that Glen Weisgerber,others and I used for size years ago. Glen and I told the 1-Shot "Suites" to put a label on the can and market it years ago! They did not even know they made the product even though it had there company name on the label ( Courtaulds Coatings Inc. I also find it illustrative to see no comments from our 1-Shot spokesmen on any of these problems with their products. Again, " I've got enough "OLD STOCK" to get me through" . I hate to see a great product go the way of Greed and Mediocrity.

--------------------
Alan Johnson
Alan Johnson Grafix
Blairstown, NJ
[URL=http://www.alanjohnsongrafix.com]

Posts: 261 | From: Blairstown, NJ | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never had a problem with One Shot size. Of course, I've never used it [Smile] They came out with it after I abandoned ship.

Alan, you'll find there is a great allegiance to the stuff and a reluctance on the part of many to say any thing bad about the product in public. I don'think they have any kind of rep that visits this board either.
As far as the treatment from the company, I got the same B.S. The rotten treatment had as much or more to do with me quitting using the stuff as did the poor performance.

I've used Luco with good results but my fave is Rolco slow.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AJ: I hate to see a great product go the way of Greed and Mediocrity.

There's a difference between greed and stupidity

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Matyjakowski   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Matyjakowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what little I understand through the grapevine there has been a "recent" formulation change.
The couple cans I bought last year would now be the old stuff.
I haven't tried the new stock (if it's out, I've only heard rumors) but the stuff I have has worked fine for what I've used it for.
(I use different sizes for different applications)

So "theoretically" the answer would be, no, they don't make it anymore, now they make something else?

What are the working differences between last year's formula and this year's... if any?

[ August 30, 2010, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: Mark Matyjakowski ]

--------------------
Compulsive, Neurotic, Anti-social and Paranoid ... but basically Happy

Posts: 2677 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Bernhardt
Resident

Member # 1568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Bernhardt   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Bernhardt       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am guessing,if true,this is another "Lead Issue" Unfortunately there are one shot colours that can't be used with certainty of permanence anymore. Maroon being the one in particular I have had problems with....and a shame it is. Just been a terrific product over the years and we should expect to see much more of this in the future. The move to do away with VOC's and leaded paints. Time to write your congressman and give him some of the facts....little else can be done I'm afraid.

--------------------
Doug Bernhardt
Bernhardt Signs
Ottawa Ont.

Posts: 121 | From: ottawa ont. canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Friends, I don't associate the lack of lead in 1 Shot lettering enamels as being the culprit to its demise as many colors have not had lead in them for several years. I think some of the other goodies in the paint like resins have been compromised over the years to lesson the production costs of the paint. I think they have caused unforeseen problems. If you are in love with alkyds maybe try another brand such as Ronan or Fine Paints of Europe.

Maybe you are one of lucky ones that have a huge supply of the old stuff. Most aren't lucky like that, but even those old supplies will eventually run out.

I think when vinyl grabbed a foothold in the industry the writing was already on the wall. The folks at 1 Shot surely saw that the use of their products were going to take a hit and they have tried what they can to keep the ship afloat. Fewer and fewer people are wanting to use alkyd paints that are reduced with solvents only to have them fail sooner than expected.

I jumped ship in the 90's and my remaining supply of 1 Shot has been devoted to interior projects, toys and panel jamming with letterheads. I wouldn't rely on the paint for serious projects or you will be disappointed.

My last straw was a sign I lettered for an antique store. It was painted with lettering enamels and the store was painted by the owner using regular house paints. Many colors were coordinated between the sign and the store. The store owner was no painter, but imagine my embarrassment when his paint looked better than mine color for color after 5 years -- me being the pro and all.

I have been using urethanes for my striping and small automotive lettering. I use acrylics with automotive catalyzed clear coats for my longest lasting exterior signs. You can be sure that if the government knew what went into those 2 part paints or if they knew that our landfills were being massed with scrap vinyl, they would pitch a fit and the cycle would start all over again.

I expect that I will have to reinvent myself every half decade with the products I use until I die in order stay in the game.

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!