Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » A nightmare for a huge wayfinding project!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A nightmare for a huge wayfinding project!
Debra Carr
Visitor
Member # 6986

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Debra Carr   Email Debra Carr       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought my fellow signmakers would find this information on a failed project both interesting and informative....This beautiful new $1.65 Million Wayfinding signage project began failing within days - a horrible situation for sure.

Below are three links to articles printed in the Asheville Citizens Times newspaper.

"No one knows why Asheville street signs failed"
John Boyle • June 17, 2010
http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20100617/NEWS/306170024/John-Boyle-No-one-knows-why-Asheville-street-signs-failed

(includes a pic of failing, peeling sign)
"Asheville officials want answers on peeling signs by this week"
by John Boyle
published July 3, 2010 12:15 am
http://m.citizentimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2010307030033

(pic of new signs before peeling)
http://m.citizentimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=B0&Dato=20100518&Kategori=NEWS01&Lopenr=305180056&Ref=PH

--------------------
Debra Carr
Sign Crafters
502 S. Main Street
Hendersonville, NC 28791

Posts: 82 | From: Hendersonville, NC | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they were stupid enough to spend an average of $6000.00 a piece for 300 signs in the first place, why should they be surprised that they got shafted? The largest sign I saw couldn't have been much larger than a 4'x8' vertical aluminum panel. Mind you a couple or three of those kiosk type directory signs might bring in 6k but something's rotten in denmark here. I'd like to hire that sign company's saleman,..he hit a homerun on this one,....for that kind of money they can do those directional panels two or three times and still make a hefty profit,...how many digital printers can you purchase with 1.8 million, at least a half dozen or so,....

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Yep, I'd say they were peeling.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Chavez
Visitor
Member # 2146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Chavez   Email Rick Chavez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you look through this .pdf

http://www.ashevilledesigncenter.org/images/ADC/3Forums/asheville_finaldesigns10_08.pdf

It looks like a 1.8 million dollar project to me... especially the parking ID and large freestanding ID signs...

Having done quite a few city wayfinding projects myself, I have not heard of any process other than screen printing with 3M's translucent ink process that will last any amount of acceptable time. I ask from time to time about this, and no one suggest digitally printing reflective street signs because they do not last as long as the screen printed ones. The problem with screen printing a huge panel like that is the color can sometimes look a little mottled.

Bad spec, poor fabrication choice on the sign shop's part, bad material, bad ink or poor install... a lot can happen. Someone is going to be eating a lot of peeling vinyl...

[ July 15, 2010, 02:13 AM: Message edited by: Rick Chavez ]

--------------------
Rick Chavez
Hemet, CA

Posts: 1538 | From: Hemet,CA U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...just glad it's not me!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cueing Roger Bailey...... in 4....3....2...1...

Go......

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben Diaz
Resident

Member # 7319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ben Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Ben Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My guess is they forgot to take the plastic off before they put the vinyl on.

--------------------
Ben Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W Lincoln Ave
www.diazsignart.com < basic site
www.diazsignart.net < flash site
muralmuseum.com < International Walldog Mural & Sign Art Museum

Posts: 316 | From: Pontiac Il | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rene Giroux
Resident

Member # 4980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rene Giroux   Author's Homepage   Email Rene Giroux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who ever said 'sticker signs' weren't appeeling!!! [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

Spend all that money on the architect and hand the job out to the lowest bidder...

[Cool]

--------------------
Rene Giroux
Perfexion.ca
Gatineau, QC.

www.renegiroux.com

I'd rather regret things I did than things I didn't do!

Posts: 1875 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Ben might have it right... or could it be... that the 3M reflective is crap... just like the 3M reflective I used to use years ago, that completely delaminated from the glue..

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like the reflective is tight on there though. We were just guessing that what happened was those reflective panels often come with a clear plastic protective sheet that is SUPPOSED to be removed before the signs are lettered, just like you alumalite, etc. does. Nobody told the guys in the shop, "Hey, don't forget to take that liner off." and they lettered them all up and sent them out. OOPS!

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben Diaz
Resident

Member # 7319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ben Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Ben Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That picture is exactly what happens if you forget to take off the plastic sheeting before applying prints. Unfortunately I know this from experience (just not on a $1.65 million job.) I could see where the sign shop would be reluctant to admit this is what happened, but the positives are that at least the signs won't need to be redesigned, and at least the print is the only thing failing (so it's not a total loss.) Still, this has to be an expensive lesson to learn.

--------------------
Ben Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W Lincoln Ave

Posts: 316 | From: Pontiac Il | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
agree.
That is total failure. It has to be the liner...

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darcy Baker
Visitor
Member # 8262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darcy Baker   Email Darcy Baker       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haha... I did that once but I caught it before it went out the door. Not a million dollar project either but I won't do it again.

--------------------
Darcy Baker
Darcy's Signs
Eureka Springs. AR.

Posts: 1169 | From: Eureka Springs, AR | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben Diaz
Resident

Member # 7319

I did it on a real estate sign. It was an 18x24 .040 aluminum sheet that you set in one of those frames. I covered both sides with prints. One side still had the plastic on it. A few weeks later the customer came back in and said the graphics failed on the one side but not the other. It's one of those mistakes that sticks with you, and I haven't messed that up since.

--------------------
Ben Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W Lincoln Ave

Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder how long they expected their digital-print-on-clear over the reflective to last anyway...?

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roger bailey
Merchant

Member # 556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roger bailey   Author's Homepage   Email roger bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another posibility, I talk to 6 or 8 sign shops a month, about 3 of them had bonding issues because of cleaning with, yep, WINDEX.

Then theres the others that use paint solvents.

Roger

--------------------
Roger Bailey
Rapid Tac Incorporated
186 Combs Dr.
Merlin Oregon

Posts: 3020 | From: Merlin Oregon | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is actually wrinkling even in from the edge... it has to be the clear protective film.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know I am not too bright...

But the signage in question is current? as in 2010?

How does Kelly's 2008 picture relate?

Sorry if I missed something Kelly.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Debra Carr
Visitor
Member # 6986

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Debra Carr   Email Debra Carr       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave, I have no clue why the year 2008 show up in the corner of the photo in Kelly's post. These signs were just installed a few weeks ago. If you click on this link by John Boyle, published July 3, 2010 12:15 am - you will see the published photo.
http://m.citizentimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2010307030033

--------------------
Debra Carr
Sign Crafters
502 S. Main Street
Hendersonville, NC 28791

Posts: 82 | From: Hendersonville, NC | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is just a direct link to a picture in one of the links Debra posted, I suspect the photographer has a watermark that needs to be updated that automatically goes on all his/her photos.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick Whatley
Resident

Member # 2008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick Whatley   Email Patrick Whatley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So....300 didn't all get done at one time. They had to be stacked up around the shop in various stages of production. You're telling me that none of the signs were showing signs of failure when they were being installed?

--------------------
Pat Whatley
Montgomery, AL
(334) 262-7446 office
(334) 324-8465 cell

Posts: 1306 | From: Wetumpka, AL USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nikki Goral
Resident

Member # 7844

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nikki Goral   Author's Homepage   Email Nikki Goral       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We were JUST there on June 9th. I remarked how nice the signs looked downtown...I didn't notice any failure then...but again, it wasn't 100+ degrees that week... only mid to upper eighties...

--------------------
Nikki Goral
Image Advantage Signs
4050 Champeau Road
New Franken, WI 54229
920-465-4500
"Finish every day and be done with it. Tomorrow is a new day."-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 928 | From: New Franken, WI (East Green Bay) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nikki Goral
Resident

Member # 7844

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nikki Goral   Author's Homepage   Email Nikki Goral       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW, why didn't they use a NC co? Why Pennsylvania?
Their hotel tax going to another state...nice...

--------------------
Nikki Goral
Image Advantage Signs
4050 Champeau Road
New Franken, WI 54229
920-465-4500
"Finish every day and be done with it. Tomorrow is a new day."-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 928 | From: New Franken, WI (East Green Bay) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hurt for them. this is so sad.This poor guy went from the job of a lifetime to losing it all. I'll bet he even went in debt to do it.

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott Eckland
Visitor
Member # 3036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scott Eckland   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Eckland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ben Diaz:
My guess is they forgot to take the plastic off before they put the vinyl on.

I would agree with Ben...I've seen this happen before with polycarb on a job I took over from another sign company...a little picking and the protective film came right off...with the graphic.

--------------------
Scott Eckland
Chelsea Signs
web: chelseasigns.com
email: scott@chelseasigns.com

Posts: 198 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick Whatley
Resident

Member # 2008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick Whatley   Email Patrick Whatley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Sauls:
I hurt for them. this is so sad.This poor guy went from the job of a lifetime to losing it all. I'll bet he even went in debt to do it.

If all they've got to do is repair the faces they should be okay. It's gonna hurt but hopefully it's not a business killer.

--------------------
Pat Whatley
Montgomery, AL
(334) 262-7446 office
(334) 324-8465 cell

Posts: 1306 | From: Wetumpka, AL USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Lennig
Resident

Member # 2455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Lennig   Author's Homepage   Email John Lennig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...this trick can also be used when screenprinting on plexi or metal blanks...washes off easy...just peel.

--------------------
John Lennig / Big Top Sign Arts
5668 Ewart Street, Burnaby,
British Columbia, Canada
bigtopya@hotmail.com

Posts: 2184 | From: Burnaby, British Columbia,Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Debra Carr
Visitor
Member # 6986

Update on sign fix-from August 9,2010 newspaper-

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2010308090023

--------------------
Debra Carr
Sign Crafters
502 S. Main Street
Hendersonville, NC 28791

Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The tremendous cost of this failed project can most likely be traced back to one of the newspaper articles, saying the job was "a collaboration of various government and public organizations"...to that effect.

Sorta like those 'shovel-ready' construction job signs seen along many federal highways, that our gov'mint shelled out over 7 grand apiece for....

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a mess! All the finger pointing, reminds me of the BP mess in the Gulf [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's gonna hurt big time.

On a side note, this jumped out at me...

"The 3M Corp. warranties signs made with 3930 and its own vinyl covering, but in this case a clear film from another manufacturer went over the 3930 and apparently failed..."

And this is the exact reason why I will not warranty a job when 2 different material manufacturers are used. However, even this is not a guarantee of success.

Whoever looses on this one, I'll have to ask, was it worth saving a few cents per square foot of material? [Smile]

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!