Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » a better rotary tool

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: a better rotary tool
Darcy Baker
Visitor
Member # 8262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darcy Baker   Email Darcy Baker       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just needed one of my Dremels to step up to the plate and they weren't up to the task.I looked at the new 4000 Dremel and saw a lot of bad reviews. I purchased a Proxxon 38481 IB/E Professional Rotary Tool for about $30 bucks more. Check em out. Very nice.

--------------------
Darcy Baker
Darcy's Signs
Eureka Springs. AR.

Posts: 1169 | From: Eureka Springs, AR | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Cieslowski   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Cieslowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe later..............

[Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
Connecticut Woodcarvers Gallery
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Posts: 2345 | From: East Canaan CT 06024 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That looks good, Darcy. I've never really considered Dremel tools to be good for much more than toy and hobby stuff anyway.

If you want to get really serious, I bought a Foredom brand die grinder some years ago, that has the motor separated from the grinder by a 4 foot flexible cable. You can hang the motor part above, and work with the 'wand', which is not much bigger than a ball point pen...and it cooks.
It's able to get into some pretty tight spots.

[ June 18, 2010, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: Dale Feicke ]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hve you seen these in action on those informercials??

http://www.thetoolstore.ca/viewItem.asp?idProduct=6964&idCategory=772&c=

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will not buy anything that has a infomercial!

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly I used to feel the same way, and still do for the most part, but I did buy one of those Showtime Rotisseri bout 12 years ago... best investment I ever made... never a problem with it and it cooks chicken beter than the Q.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The infomercial shows that you could either build a house or tear one down, using only this tool......incredible.

I've always wondered if these things were all they were cracked up to be. At that price, they'd better be. Watch out, though, there are a lot of cheap knock-offs out there, that I'm sure wouldn't last a week.

Harbor Freight has one for 39.99. Gotta be a real jewel. Although, I bought a 4 and 1/2 inch grinder from them several years ago, and it's still going strong......knock on wood.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Staffan   Email Sam Staffan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Neil D. Butler:
Honestly I used to feel the same way, and still do for the most part, but I did buy one of those Showtime Rotisseri bout 12 years ago... best investment I ever made... never a problem with it and it cooks chicken beter than the Q.

I will second that!

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
721 S. Nokomis St. Mackinaw City, MI
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1694 | From: Mackinaw City, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second the Foredom. www.foredom.com

Not only can you hang the motor out of the way, the handpiece/tool holders are changeable to suit your needs. They have a myriad of handpieces including slim grip, large barrel, quick releases, and hammer motion instead of rotary.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darcy Baker
Visitor
Member # 8262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darcy Baker   Email Darcy Baker       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Foredom stuff looks like the way to go. When I can pony up about a grand, that's the deal...till then my toy will have to suffice.

--------------------
Darcy Baker
Darcy's Signs
Eureka Springs. AR.

Posts: 1169 | From: Eureka Springs, AR | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Stanley
Visitor
Member # 6786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Stanley   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Stanley       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't do carving , but have wondered if a pneumatic die grinder wouldn't work well?

--------------------
Dana Stanley
Mass.
(508) 234-8193
http://stanleyphotographer.com

Posts: 805 | From: Whitinsville,Mass USA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Darcy, I've had mine for several years, but at the time I bought it, it was around $240. I'm sure the prices have gone up, but not that much.

Dana, the pneumatics are good, but if you're going to do any detail work, you've always got that air hose to deal with.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!