Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Photo Editing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Photo Editing
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been really enjoying my camera in the last few years. I have a Nikon D80 and it does a pretty nice job of capturing things the way I want. Still there are always outside factors that come into play such as lighting, weather interference, viewing angle, unwanted elements etc.
I use Picasa as a quick viewer and often will play around a bit in there before taking it into my photo editing software to make the actual changes. Picasa 3 is free and is a gem as far as simplifying things, but it doesn't quite cut it for me in terms of quality of output.
I have Photo Paint and it does a good job, pretty much comparable to Photoshop in my opinion. But the interface is heavy and the learning curve fairly steep on both programs. I've had Photoshop pushed on me and purchased CS2 but I just found it more than I really wanted to deal with.
I took some online photo courses last winter, just to force myself to break through some learning curves with my camera. From there I joined a photo club and was surprised at the number of professional photographers who have shelved Photoshop in exchange for the more streamlined Photoshop Elements 8. At less than $100 it is a very powerful program that is very user friendly. I'm sure there are some things photoshop does that Elements doesn't, but I'd never get through it enough to find them. I have made far more progress in Elements and that has actually helped me learn and understand PhotoPaint and Photoshop as well, though I admit I almost never use them.
There are a number of plug ins available that work in Elements - Topaz Labs, Nik Software, OnOne Software, Alien Skin and Photo Essentials 3 are great tools.
This is getting long here, so I'll stop for now, but I would recommend anyone who wants to improve their photography take the time to download the trial and try it out.

[ May 22, 2010, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: Kelly Thorson ]

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kelly,
that's all quite interesting.
I find I love photoshop, and also have CS2, but I kept version 7 on an old computer, and often use that moreoften as it boots up more quickly, and still does what I need in 97% of the cases.

A friend got P'shop Elements, and asked me to help them into it- and I found I absolutely hated it. I did eventually find where certain options or commands were- the same shortcut keys brought them up, but they were under different drop-down menus.

For really quick & dirty edits, I use an old version of AcDsee which I like- I have that set as the default image viewer, for batch renaming, converting, rotating, etc. A bit rough for some things, but for rapid bulk photo renaming, I find it great.
(It was free with an old computer magazine here ages ago. I'm sure it's been superceded, but version 5 still works well.)

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a Nikon Fan!

For 20 years I had a Nikon F SLR with 4 lens ... macro, 55,135 & 300 zoom. Some ar**hole busted the van window and stole the lot. Insurance only got me a mediocre SLR and a digital Canon A30 which I still use as a workhorse as it is compact and takes good pics.

Then seventh heaven ... Sue brought me a Nikon D60 twin lens kit with a 4G card! Magic! Beautiful camera.

You can edit shots in camera to a certain extent, but I download using a card reader.

I use a combination of Microsoft Office Picture Manager and Corel for quick easy editing for e-mails etc. Photoshop for anything else.

I LOVE NIKON!

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I said in an earlier post, my Nikon Cool Pix 5600 has had some problems. I hate the fact that it does not turn otself off and runs down the batteries incessantly. Tried settings, but no go. The cover for the batteries is also flimsy and I have to keep it taped shut.

As far as the useing of the camera, the on switch is too close to the snap button and frequently I get the thing just where I want it and I accidentally shut it off. Bad design.

Now my old F Body SLR is still fabulous, but who wants real photographs anymore when the digital ones are vastly superior for the computer. I have it and an old Mamiya, along with a couple of other SLRs in a box that will probably never reopen in my lifetime.

Point being, I am unimpressed with the hardware quality of my Nikon and some of the design. Love the pics and use Corel Photo Paint for all my editing. It is not hard to learn at all and I did not take a course.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think everyone has their preferences, likely based on what they are used to and their experiences. Elements 8 is lightweight version, but I just find it does what I need in a simpler setting. These days my mind is prone to jamming if it gets overwhelmed. I think there are a lot of people who are like that and I think Elements will work well for them. Some of you Photoshop gurus will likely hate it like Ian, but as I said, I was surprised at the number of professional photographers who are using it as their main editing software with Photoshop as a backup.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Gaffney
Resident

Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Gaffney   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Gaffney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally love iPhoto. Apart from the excellent way it displays all my photos, it has enough built in editing tools for 97% of touch up work. The rest, I do in photoshop. The slide shows with appropriate backing music can really bring photos to life

--------------------
Kevin Gaffney
Artistik Signs
Kinnegad
County Westmeath
Ireland
044-75187
kevingaffney@eircom.net

Posts: 628 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gee Kelly, you are about 6 months too late with this topic. I would have bought Elements instead of Photoshop CS4. I guess I should have researched Elements before I purchased PS.

Ian, I don't know if it's a platform difference or if Adobe has improved boot time, but PS CS4 boots up faster than PS 6 did on my PC. I was amazed the first time I ran it. I just booted it up with the stopwatch... 9 seconds from click to ready to open a file.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Elements is really good. I wish it used the same key commands as Photoshop, but overall it's a great program.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Kevin- iPhoto is great for some things, Photoshop for the rest... but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Corel's PhotoPaint, another workhorse photo editing program... I love the fact that is seamlessly integrated with CorelDRAW and the rest of the suite... I also use Picasa quite a bit, but not so much for image editing.

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Stanley
Visitor
Member # 6786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Stanley   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Stanley       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think if all your doing is photo editing, elements would be fine, just not for intense design work. I used elements, then when I went to school I got CS3, and at first didn't see the big difference, but when we got into design with Photoshop, I could see why I needed more than elements.

--------------------
Dana Stanley
Mass.
(508) 234-8193
http://stanleyphotographer.com

Posts: 805 | From: Whitinsville,Mass USA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Kelly! The info looks great. I attempted to download the trial but as usual, my system doesn't have the requirements... no big surprise here!

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Bernhardt
Resident

Member # 1568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Bernhardt   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Bernhardt       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a big fan of PShop and hated elements the first time I saw/tried it. I really only use it for photograph editing and couldn't live without bridge and camera raw, so can't comment all the wonderful ways I've seen others using it. BUT, I got Kelby's book on P Shop and it's a great starters "kit". After that there are some other really obscure author's that dig waaaayy deep into it that I now find fascinating reading. Hey....Don't give up just yet.

--------------------
Doug Bernhardt
Bernhardt Signs
Ottawa Ont.

Posts: 121 | From: ottawa ont. canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!