Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Latex & Enamel on Same Board

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Latex & Enamel on Same Board
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, you guys can tear me up if this is foolish of me, but I want to coat out my sign with latex first, then after it is dried, use my One Shot on top. He wants the signs by Friday, & I want the background dry quick enough to lay the other graphics on top, for them to be dry by Friday. Will this work ok, given the length of time the latex stays tacky? I plan on painting the boards white latex in the early day, then use the One Shot in the evening after the latex has sat with a fan blowing on it all day.

I would use latex all the way, but the boards are supposed to look like windows with panes between them. I am much better painting straight clean lines with One Shot. Adding a bit of hardener to it ought to help it to dry by the next day, right?

Let's say I decide to use all latex...can I use that blue painter's tape to tape my lines without it picking the fresh-2-hour-dried-latex back up when I pull it up?

Still not sure whast I am going to do, hope some of you have tried using both together.

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

thewordinsigns@alltel.net

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. You will pick up the latex on latex with tape. Gotta dry a week or so. Has anyone tried adding hardener to latex??? Has anyone tried dusting it down with talcum powder befre tape??? One of those colored tapes at Home Depot talks like it is less tacky and better for latex over latex?

2. Try coating the sign out with poster enamel, if you want to letter enamel over it soon. Yes, hardener will cause lettering to set up faster. How about bulletin enamel??? I never use it. What is the difference between poster and bulletin in terms of adhesion. I know poster is dead flat.

3. oil over latex always pops off in no time. I latex primed my deck swing and then used lettering over it and in six months it was peeling and poping off. Now latex over enamel? It would provbably stick, if the oil was set up and you roughed it up. Latex seems to stick better to about anything.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bobbie ... repeat after me "Screw ups on your part do not make it an emergency on my part!"

In order to get the job done by Friday (? maybe) Prime it with a primer made for latex, let it dry properly then coat it out with latex.

Let it dry at least one full day then use the blue painter's tape and 1Shot.

quote:

"Oil base over latex is OK.

Latex over oil base is only temporary!"

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Listen to Si. He knows the drill very well. Try it and make it happen.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
latex over enamel is NOT correct. Latex under enamel would work. Ive used latex as a primer many times a couple years back with no probs.

latex will be fine for your project. paint it and throw it out in sun. next time stop doin rush jobs

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you. Bruce, you are right. I do NOT like rush jobs, but this is one of my biggest customers, & I have been doing jobs for them for about 8 years now. Maybe he needs to get the job orders to me sooner, & if I do NOT make the deadline, he will see that.

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

thewordinsigns@alltel.net

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Bobbie,

Why don't you cut stripes out of vinyl for the divider strips between the "panes"? That way, all you'll have to worry about drying is the background paint.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ed Gregorowicz
Visitor
Member # 1842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ed Gregorowicz   Email Ed Gregorowicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try spraying the panels with Acrylic Enamel... properly catalyzed, and with a fast enough reducer, you'll have a superior background to work with in less than 8 hours.

--------------------
Ed
The Signwerks
1951 SR 254 Orangeville, Pa.

Posts: 199 | From: Orangeville, Pa. USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've had great luck with the Novacolor paint (latex). You can tape on it after a couple hours and the colors have great coverage. Make sure you order the opaque. I know that doesn't help you now, but in the future you might look into it.
www.novacolorpaint.com

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Stanley
Visitor
Member # 6786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Stanley   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Stanley       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For my money I would go all latex!

--------------------
Dana Stanley
Mass.
(508) 234-8193
http://stanleyphotographer.com

Posts: 805 | From: Whitinsville,Mass USA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stein Saether
Resident

Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stein Saether   Email stein Saether       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
acryl over oil is fine, gotta be real dry first though, and buffed

--------------------
Stein Saether
GullSkilt AS
Trondheim

Posts: 1183 | From: Trondheim Norway | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Davidson
Visitor
Member # 531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Davidson   Email Bill Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's Friday here! Too late. BUT. I used to spray my rush job panels with automotive acrylic enamel WithOut a hardener, set it in the sun, and be able to letter in a couple of hours.

--------------------
Bill'n'Annie Davidson
Heathcote, NSW, Aus.
my Aussie wife,
a Toohey's Old,
my Holden Ute,
Retired from the rat race!

Posts: 309 | From: Heathcote, NSW, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!