Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Awning Advice?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Awning Advice?
Marge Cameron
Resident

Member # 11336

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Marge Cameron   Author's Homepage   Email Marge Cameron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a repeat client who is opening a tavern. Among the many projects he's hired me to do for the place, there's one that I'm not completely sure how best to tackle. There's a large awning across the front of the building. I think it was originally a burgundy color, but has been painted black several times. The black is scuffed away in several places showing the burgundy, the largest spot being about the size of an Oreo cookie. You can see traces of old lettering from previous repaints (not cool, IMO). The current lettering is a combo of white vinyl & green brushwork. Due to budget constraints, replacement of the awning material is not an option, according to my client. So I have several questions...

1. It looks like the awning is made from canvas, or a plastic coated material. (Hard to tell with all the re-use this thing's seen.) Can I remove the vinyl lettering, clean this with a degreasing product, scuff it well, prime it & repaint it black? What product would you recommend for the repaint? I was considering One Shot lettering enamels, as there will be airbrushed old school flames on it. I don't want to run into any kind of compatability issues.

(As a side note, I'm wondering if replacing the material would be less expensive than stripping/priming/painting...? The fabric itself is holding up well, just not the last paint job.)

2. If it winds up being cheaper to use vinyl for the new lettering instead of painting, what vinyl would you recommend? I do have a 24" Roland cutter, but I mostly use it to create stencils or window stuff, so I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to exterior vinyl for lettering awnings.

Any insights or suggestions you can offer will be massively appreciated!!! Thank you!

-

-

[ May 08, 2010, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: Marge Cameron ]

--------------------
Marge Cameron
Cameron Arts, Inc.

Posts: 56 | From: Salem, Ohio | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marge Cameron
Resident

Member # 11336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marge Cameron   Author's Homepage   Email Marge Cameron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... Can't seem to get my pics to show.

If you're on FaceBook, you can see them here.

Pic of the awning:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2031811&id=1328644965&saved#!/photo.php?pid=30789350&id=1328644965&fbid=1306941596810

Detail of existing lettering:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2031811&id=1328644965&saved#!/photo.php?pid=30789351&id=1328644965&fbid=1306941636811

[ May 08, 2010, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: Marge Cameron ]

--------------------
Marge Cameron
Cameron Arts, Inc.

Posts: 56 | From: Salem, Ohio | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harris Kohen
Visitor
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harris Kohen   Email Harris Kohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Marge. Hows the robinson ....

--------------------
Harris Kohen
K-Man Pinstriping
and Graphix
Trenton, NJ
"Showing the world that even
I can strategically place the
pigment where its got to
go."

Posts: 1739 | From: Trenton, NJ, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marge Cameron
Resident

Member # 11336

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Marge Cameron   Author's Homepage   Email Marge Cameron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HARRIS! Hahaha! Great to see you! You know me & those robins... [Wink]

--------------------
Marge Cameron
Cameron Arts, Inc.

Harris Kohen
Visitor
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harris Kohen   Email Harris Kohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something I will NEVER forget. One of the coolest mornings of my life with some of the coolest poeple on the planet. We need a reunion.

--------------------
Harris Kohen
K-Man Pinstriping
and Graphix
Trenton, NJ
"Showing the world that even
I can strategically place the
pigment where its got to
go."

Posts: 1739 | From: Trenton, NJ, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marge Cameron
Resident

Member # 11336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marge Cameron   Author's Homepage   Email Marge Cameron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No doubt. That was SUCH a blast!!! Would love the chance to hang out with you again.

I think we scared away the help I needed! LOL!

--------------------
Marge Cameron
Cameron Arts, Inc.

Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robinson?

I wqould strip the vinyl, paint the sucker with black DTM paint (Sherwin-Williams) then letter with latex - use a fitch or stiff cutter. Make it clear from the start that if he's too cheap to do it right, there's no guarantees of durability......

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have it recovered with vinyl the whole awning. by the time you peel, clean, scrub, prime , repaint and THEN make sure where you peeled vinyl STILL didnt show thru you could have simply had it recovered.

my opinion. I would rather start fresh then to start with crap. making this new would really help snap the business storefront

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marge Cameron
Resident

Member # 11336

Hey everyone! Just wanted to thank you for the great advice on the awning project. I wound up having the owner strip the old vinyl, clean it, sand it back to good adhesion where it was peeling, double prime & double paint with black exterior latex. He followed my specs well, except for the top coat. He used semi-gloss instead of flat or satin! Made my vinyl stencil nearly ineffective, as it just did not want to adhere to the latex.

I waited a week for the awning to cure a bit, then hand painted the lettering in white exterior latex with my stencil taped to the awning. Couldn't use a roller because it just squooshed paint under my stencil. Took 2 brush coats, but was able to smooth out any strokes by rolling on a 3rd coat very lightly. I taped off the stripe & used exterior latex rattle cans to spray the color. Then using a small round brush, I outlined the white lettering by hand with black One Shot & a little hardener. Can't really see it in the photo, but it gave it that nice finishing touch.

Any & all critiques are welcome! Can't improve if I don't get feedback on what could've been done better. (Like I wish I'd dragged out the guns for more graduated fades on that stripe!)

Couldn't have done this confidently without you guys! Thank you so much!!!

-

[ June 05, 2010, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: Marge Cameron ]

--------------------
Marge Cameron
Cameron Arts, Inc.

Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lovely, Marg!
(I wonder if the guitar or K couldn't have had an italic type of forward lean, to give it a bit more emphasis & size)

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice one Lady!

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent Marge - don't see anything to critique - good job........

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks great!

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
from a distance looks great and if thats what he wanted he got it. nice color fade on the front

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
..In the long run, learning how to paint (things like this) with a brush will serve you better than learning how to use stencils.

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!