Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » mil vs millimeter

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: mil vs millimeter
Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One mil = .001". One millimeter = .0254".
I told one of my suppliers they could probably sell more 3 and 6mm PVC if they advertised it for what it is and not 3 and 6 mil. Vinyl is commonly measured in mils. Sheet products are commonly measured in millimeters. many machinists now avoid the use of "mil" because that term is also a handy slang for the millimeter.

--------------------
Chuck Peterson Designs
San Diego, CA

Posts: 1051 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whatever happened to thousandths of an inch and
tenths of a thousandth.
At least that was measurable when I was a tool
maker into decibles and inches.

Edited:
When setting up milling machinery for cutting gears
it was necessary also to get yer trig guides
correct.
I have no idea where millimeters would play in
gearing on a static milling setup. (non CNC).
I'm talking the 60's...pre CNC.

[ March 06, 2010, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: jack wills ]

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually Jack that terminology is still used across America by machine shops and tool makers

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graham Parsons
Resident

Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graham Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Graham Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Tis interesting. Until I moved to North America, I'd never heard of 'mil' - everything was either "thousandths of an inch" (which as every European knows, is terribly out of date [Smile] ) or "millimeters". Although Canada is supposedly a metricated country, our close proximity to the U.S. means we have to deal with a mixture of both [Frown]
I'm too old to be this confused...

--------------------
Graham Parsons
Signs 'n Such Ltd
Swift Current
Saskatchewan
Canada.
www.signsnsuch.com

"Saskatchewan - hard to pronounce, easy to draw"

Posts: 710 | From: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good answer Graham...

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Graham, when I was in grammar schools, the teacher thought I was European but I told her it was just a ice cream pop in my pants pocket.

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Weston Pulley
Visitor
Member # 10330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Weston Pulley   Email Weston Pulley       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Living in Canada, you really need to know metric and standard.

I was taught metric all through high school and then had to learn standard while taking architectural drafting course in college. After graduating I got a drafting position at a Canadian Forces Base and had to draw in metric.

--------------------
Weston Pulley
WP Signs Plus
Nova Scotia

Posts: 44 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm curious..what is "standard"?

Is it something other than farenheight for temps?

Is it something other than inches and feet and yards for measurement?

As much as I opposed Metric in Canada when it was introduced..it is working well for us.. Most of the world uses metric..We have adapted too

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8878 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Churchill
Resident

Member # 68

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Churchill   Email Chuck Churchill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When applying for sign permits here the city building departments want all the dimensions on the drawings in metric (eg...square metres). If you have to talk to them about the application they usually want to talk in the English measurement system (eg...sq.ft.).

Ontario sells gas in litres and our streets are measured in kilometres (as are the vehicles odometers and spedometers). But if you go to buy a car the salesman will tell you how good of gas milage it will get in miles per gallon. Go figure!

--------------------
Chuck Churchill,
It's A Good Sign Inc.
3245 Harvester Rd, U-12
Burlington, Ont.
Phone: 905-681-8775
Fax: 905-681-8945

Posts: 633 | From: Burlington, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wrong. A Millimeter is .0397", not .0254 but who's counting.

--------------------
Chuck Peterson Designs
San Diego, CA

Posts: 1051 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Stanley
Visitor
Member # 6786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Stanley   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Stanley       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As patriotic as I am I embraced the metric system, as 10ths are much easier than 64ths. Sadly it hasn't completely caught on here in the US. When I was just 15 years old I was promised 2 things the metric system and social security. I probably wont get the full benefit of either in my life time.
There is a song (every mothers son) I think it was buy the Animals. It has a line that says , some day will never come, how true! That came out around the time they made those other promises.

[ March 07, 2010, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: Dana Stanley ]

--------------------
Dana Stanley
Mass.
(508) 234-8193
http://stanleyphotographer.com

Posts: 805 | From: Whitinsville,Mass USA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was under the impression that the metric system had never caught on here in the US, and had basically been abandoned for the good old inches and feet.

Even though many products are sold with metric measurements, I thought we dealt with this, just because most of the rest of the world was on the decimal system.

No??....

[ March 09, 2010, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: Dale Feicke ]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few weeks ago I ordered 2 quarts of ink from Nazdar. That is when I learned that they no longer sell in Imperial measurements. Ink is now sold in liters.

The two liters arrived the next day. I popped one open and looked inside. The can was only about 2/3's full. Even though the price was lower, I felt cheated. Doing a little mathematical converting confirmed. Metric cost more.

What is worse is that the ink will dry faster on its own in the can when its only 2/3s full instead of completely full. So much for bothering to stock up.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Stanley
Visitor
Member # 6786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Stanley   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Stanley       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well that's just silly. If the cans are QT cans then until they retool for liters why wouldn't they sell by the QT! [Bash]

[ March 09, 2010, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: Dana Stanley ]

--------------------
Dana Stanley
Mass.
(508) 234-8193

Posts: 805 | From: Whitinsville,Mass USA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Matyjakowski   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Matyjakowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a quart is .25 gallons
a liter is .26 gallons
if they sold you a quart can 2/3's full and called it a liter, you did get cheated

--------------------
Compulsive, Neurotic, Anti-social and Paranoid ... but basically Happy

Posts: 2677 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when my son's father repaired Harleys he loved the American measurements so he wouldn't work on anything foreign if he could help it.

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Over here, it's different again...your American measurements always had me stumped!

A litre is a litre- 1000ml- which is 4 cups of 250 ml.

A pint here used to be 568 ml, until they metricated it and then a pint became 600ml. You still can get milk by the 600 ml (1 pint) carton.

A quart then was 2 pints or 1200ml now, instead of the 1136ml which it used to be, and they dropped quarts off being used a long time ago, in favour of litres at 1000ml.

A gallon stayed at about 4.545 litres- which was 4 quarts in the former variation, but it was a still a gallon, (and if it was water, it still weighed 10 pounds) and or pints add up to it, because they wouldn't!

1 litre of water weights 1 kg.

I have no idea why USA pints and gallons were smaller Australian pints & gallons, but you always had to take the location of the teller into account if you wanted to work out which they were talking about, or your volumes would be wrong.

The interesting thing though about our conversions from imperial to metric is the figure 22: for weight, there are near enough to 2.2 lbs to 1 kg, and for volume, converting gallons to litres involved dividing by 0.22 !

(edited to fix a figure)

[ March 10, 2010, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: Ian Stewart-Koster ]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, too, am tired of hearing the term mil used as slang for millimeter. By a sign supplier, no less. They should know better, since they sell aluminum sheet in thousandths of an inch thicknesses.
For example, .040" aluminum is forty thousandths , or forty mils.
Though most machinists I know prefer the term thou (thousandth), instead of mil, mil is not yet archaic. Read the label on the Hefty Trash Bag box. The plastic film thickness is measured in mils.

We use a lot of 4mm PVC. Four mil PVC would be quite thin, unsuitable for most signs, I think, but a nice thickness for a very heavy trash bag.
And three mil Dibond seems logistically impossible. Aren't the two aluminum skins of a Dibond sandwich nine or ten mils each?

But the discussion of liquid measures concerns me even more. Scotch bottles are not fifths anymore. I will admit that a fifth was a freakish measure, anyway. It just always seemed wrong to divide a gallon of whiskey five ways. Fourths, or quarts, seemed so much more logical. Better yet, just leave it as a gallon. But now, the bottles are all a bewildering variety of metric measurements. Yet a serving is still called a "shot" where I live. But is it really still a shot? Or has it quietly become a few milliliters less? Now that I think of it, cocktail glasses seem much smaller than they used to. I thought I was just getting bigger.
I'm going to have a serious talk with my bartender.

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Posts: 1230 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger MacMunn
Visitor
Member # 4316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rodger MacMunn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In spite of being fairly fluent in metric, I despise it.
Not that feet & inches are the answer either, but...
10 is not divisible by 3, or 4 ...... a quarter of a centimeter is 2 & a half millimetres. You still have fractions.
This'll never happen, but rather than a "Base 10" system, a "Base 12" would make far more sense.
Decimals are not always easier than fractions, but having a base number thats divisible by 1, 2, 3, 4 & 6 would level the field somewhat.
Now there's a make-work project for world leaders......

--------------------
Rodger MacMunn
T.R. MacMunn & Sons
C.P.207, Sharbot Lake, ON
613-279-1230
trmac@frontenac.net

Posts: 475 | From: Sharbot Lake, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This whole conundrum makes me want to scream.

Pints and quarts become ml's and l's....gallon containers become 3 quart containers reshaped to look like gallons.

5 pound sugar packages become 4 pound packs, as well as flour, corn meal, etc.

NASCAR has several races that used to be 500's or 400's MILES.....that are now KILOMETERS. That makes them shorter. Meaning the spectators get screwed again. It's not bad enough that they basically shorten the race by counting the laps run under caution, but then they do this also. Just another reason I seldom watch anymore.

And all these manufacturers and purveyors of products and services are loving it, because in the midst of all the confusion they're creating for us, they are making more money, by selling or giving us less.....for the same amount of money.

Where does it end?? I considered selling my 4 X 8's, but giving them a sheet of MDO cut down to 3 and a half X 7 and a half.....but I haven't yet figured out what to do with the cut-off's. [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

[ March 12, 2010, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: Dale Feicke ]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Fisher
Visitor
Member # 107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Fisher   Email David Fisher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The US has a decimal currency system.
Apart from tooling, why is a decimal measurement system such a hard idea to get used to?

--------------------
David Fisher
D.A. & P.M. Fisher Services
Brisbane Australia
da_pmf@yahoo.com
Trying out a new tag:
"Parents are the bones on which children cut their teeth
Peter Ustinov

Posts: 1450 | From: Brisbane Queensland Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miles Cullinane
Resident

Member # 980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miles Cullinane   Email Miles Cullinane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glenn Over here I buy my inks from the UK and the cans are 5 litres but sometimes they are full and sometimes not but the reason is very clear. they sell by WEIGHT not quantity so with some colours they are denser so fill less of the can. so I order 5 kilogrammes of a colour which comes in a 5 litre can but may be only up to the 4 litres level.

You weren't cheated, just try weighting them and they will all weight the same irregardless of the colour.

Also I am working using both systems as the switch over to Metric still hasn't got me to change my name. [Wink]

--------------------
Miles Cullinane,
Cork, Ireland.

From the sometimes sunny south of Ireland,

Posts: 913 | From: Cork, Ireland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Davidson
Visitor
Member # 531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Davidson   Email Bill Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coming to Oz I had to do drafting in mm. Terminology is either "metric" OR "imperial"! One Millimeter is about . . this big!

--------------------
Bill'n'Annie Davidson
Heathcote, NSW, Aus.
my Aussie wife,
a Toohey's Old,
my Holden Ute,
Retired from the rat race!

Posts: 309 | From: Heathcote, NSW, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Stanley
Visitor
Member # 6786

I think Rodger has the solution for sure. 12ths . It's all so clear to me now! It won't be metric or sae. Maybe the nwo system!

--------------------
Dana Stanley
Mass.
(508) 234-8193

Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

I actually own a yardstick that has inches divided into thirds and sixths. I have no idea why.

--------------------
Chuck Peterson Designs
San Diego, CA

Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hahaha, Miles....

Kilometers Cullinane just doesn't have the same ring to it...

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a yardstick like that, too- Chuck. I was told it was made for the sewing/seamstressing/tailoring industry.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!