Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » OLYMPIC ART

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OLYMPIC ART
Rene Giroux
Resident

Member # 4980

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Rene Giroux   Author's Homepage   Email Rene Giroux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, lets take a Letterville look at the Vancouver games!

After seeing the games on the HD screen for the last 10 days or so, what are the comments about the art surrounding the whole event.

I don't want to see comments about the referees, the rain / fog, the Canadian superiority in hockey.... [Wink] , let's stick to the art.

Here is a general idea:

-

I don't know who is responsible for it, but personally, I love it. I don't really care about who printed the banners or what machine it was done on or if it's the new 27 month ink...oooooo! That's as exciting as the name of the person who pressed the 'start' button on the printer.

The graphic art, the design of it all is well matched, natural, lively, organic, bright and well adapted to the different venues. Some of the elements are a little 'clip-arty' but in general I give it a 9.17/10 wich is still good enough for a 'gold' medal !

I don't know who you are but this is for you : [Applause]

[Cool]

--------------------
Rene Giroux
Perfexion.ca
Gatineau, QC.

www.renegiroux.com

I'd rather regret things I did than things I didn't do!

Posts: 1875 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric Elmgren
Visitor
Member # 11536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Elmgren   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Elmgren       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The images are dynamic, in your face, but muted enough to not steal the scenery.

--------------------
Eric Elmgren
ericsignguy@comcast.net
A & E Graphic Signs
Park Ridge, IL
"The future isn't what it used to be" -Yogi Berra

Posts: 192 | From: PARK RIDGE, ILLINOIS | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the colors, placement, design, everything - wish I could be in Vancouver. I got to see up close and personal when we had the Olympics in Atlanta and it's an incredibly monumental job to coordinate that many images in that mant venues in a relatively fast installation period. I was asked to bid on one project by a construction company I did work for and when I saw the specs, I realized real fast it was WAY out of my league......

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last night they had a 3M PR rep doing an interview on the local station. ( For those who don't know, 3M's Canadian headquarters is located here in London ). She was talking about how 3M had partnered with Mannington Flooring to recycle all of the graphics done for the Vancouver Olympics. When the Games are finished, all of those graphics will be sent to Mannington, where they'll be recycled into flooring tiles. Apparently a huge amount of the wraps done for the Games were done here by 3M. She estimated there will be enough scrap vinyl to fill several railway boxcars...and that's after it's all been compacted.
They've wrapped everything from BC Ferries to Event venues exterior and interior.

As to the graphics used....I found them to be visually interesting, but not overpowering. The colours do complement the settings and work well in both exterior settings and in the interior contexts.

--------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail: kjmlhenry@rogers.com

Why do I get all those on-line offers to sell me Viagara, when the only thing hardening is my arteries ?

Posts: 2684 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was just the other night I was to Judy about How much I liked the Graphics.. I love them!

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stein Saether
Resident

Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stein Saether   Email stein Saether       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oympic art sucks allways done

--------------------
Stein Saether
GullSkilt AS
Trondheim

Posts: 1183 | From: Trondheim Norway | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the design of the medals! Different!

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunset Regall
Resident

Member # 11140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sunset Regall   Author's Homepage   Email Sunset Regall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rene....i've loved the graphics...thanks for bringing up this subject. here are the creators explanation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MsATxMHnO8&feature=player_embedded

--------------------
Sunset Regall
SUNSET DESIGNS
sunssette@gmail.com
www.sunsetsdesigns.com

Posts: 190 | From: chico, ca | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rene Giroux
Resident

Member # 4980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rene Giroux   Author's Homepage   Email Rene Giroux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool flic, thanks Sunset !

[Cool]

--------------------
Rene Giroux
Perfexion.ca
Gatineau, QC.

www.renegiroux.com

Posts: 1875 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they did an incredible job! Even the colours of the curling rings in the ice were changed to match the graphics.
That clip was great, Sunset, thanks.
It shows how much thought and attention to detail was put into the process and the results show. I think those guys all took Shane's workshop. [Wink]

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man that was Inspiring!

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rene Giroux
Resident

Member # 4980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rene Giroux   Author's Homepage   Email Rene Giroux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just shows that a good brain with an opened mind will overpower a library of 'clip-art' and canned ideas!

I was hoping to get a comment by Shane..... Shane? ...... Shane?

[Cool]

--------------------
Rene Giroux
Perfexion.ca
Gatineau, QC.

www.renegiroux.com

Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Staffan   Email Sam Staffan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are awesome! And watching Sunset's video site helps put it in perspective. Can you imagine the feeling and energy that must have been going through the design team as it was all coming together, man what a rush.

Pulling up the graphics on different You Tube sites and pausing them to really look at then is great. There is alot going in there that we don't get to see when just watching them on TV.

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
721 S. Nokomis St. Mackinaw City, MI
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1694 | From: Mackinaw City, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy Grossman
Visitor
Member # 235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy Grossman   Author's Homepage   Email Judy Grossman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! That was a great video. Thanks Sunset. Gets ya a little choked up when they said..."we'll probably never have this opportunity again"...but what an opportunity it was, to be able to identify their culture, country, and sports. Awesome. My one complaint was during the ice skating, I thought it made it harder to see the skaters, because I kept wanting to look at the graphics. Must be me.

--------------------
Judy Grossman
JG Signs & Designs
226 W. Jackson St.
Sonora, CA 95370

Posts: 207 | From: Sonora, CA, USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sandy Baird
Resident

Member # 4773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sandy Baird   Author's Homepage   Email Sandy Baird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2 boxcars of dead vinyl...
I wonder how much Rapid Remove will be used [Smile]

--------------------
Sandy "Monk" Baird
Windwalker Sign Studio
Port Colborne, Ontario
L3K 4H9

Posts: 442 | From: Port Colborne, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!