Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Removing vinyl lettering while out in the cold...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Removing vinyl lettering while out in the cold...
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, my 8am appointment drove up a 9am and the temp is still in the 20's.

I have the doors to a dump truck to letter and it has to be done outside. Just wish someone had told me that the old vinyl letter was still on it.

I've got my heatgun plugged in, my knit cap on and and a lil'Chisler at the ready.

Anyone have any better ideas for dealing with this kind of situation?

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glenn,

If you have a wall paper steamer, that works better not to mention provides a nice heat [Smile]

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Belt sander!

[Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about...move further South?

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3m adhesive removal wheels...put on your drill...bye buh vinyl, glue and all. just make sure the wheel hasn't been left in your truck overnight in the cold...that would be like putting an ice block on your drill...and the result would suck.

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the weather reports, I don't think thats gonna help. Snow in Dallas?!

Thanks for reminding me, Bob. I've got to go out and get another one. Someone in my shop accidentally stepped on the plastic head and broke it last time. (I won't say who... [Roll Eyes] )

I've wondered how well those eraser disks work in the cold, Karyn. Thanks! [Smile]

[ February 12, 2010, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: Glenn Taylor ]

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Glenn. I've done this many times, and what I do is to use a razor blade scraper, but I first dull the razor blade and round off the corners. Having done that, you can then use the scraper to get under the edge of the vinyl and remove it. Rapid Remover is then applied, as directed on their videos, and the door is cleaned off efficiently without scrapes or gouges to the paint surface. It takes some courage to attempt this method, but it does work well, without heat. Use Rapid Tac 2 for the application, again, as directed, and you should be able to finish up in a reasonable time.

--------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail: kjmlhenry@rogers.com

Why do I get all those on-line offers to sell me Viagara, when the only thing hardening is my arteries ?

Posts: 2684 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glenn...Florida is South of you, Dallas is West.

6" of snow in Dallas? Wow, that Global Warming is killing us here in Texas.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Stanley
Visitor
Member # 6786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Stanley   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Stanley       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't worry Ray I'm sure there is a logical reason why it gets colder around the world during global warming! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Dana Stanley
Mass.
(508) 234-8193
http://stanleyphotographer.com

Posts: 805 | From: Whitinsville,Mass USA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Well, made a make-shift replacement cover for our wallpaper steamer. It ain't pretty, but it works.

Just read an article where they're saying they're expecting snow in all 50 states (even Hawaii although its just for the upper mountain elevations).

Now its time to go out and start stripping some vinyl. I've even got a theme song to get things started..... Frozen Wasteland.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

stein Saether
Resident

Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stein Saether   Email stein Saether       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't worry Ray I'm sure there is a logical reason why it gets colder around the world during global warming!

It dont, record warmth globally i 2009, But global warming also means an unsteady climate and thus we see this wild and til now unknown wetaher types.

Sorry for going offtopic [Wink]

--------------------
Stein Saether
GullSkilt AS
Trondheim

Posts: 1183 | From: Trondheim Norway | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
actually it should be called "climate change" not global warming....while its true our polar ice is melting...it will eventually make jet stream changes and we will be having all kinds of funky weather. the earth is gonna do what it wants. its so arrogant of man to think we can actually stop it totally....our species might be due for extinction...so live it up baby!

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Well, here's my Climate Change prediction.....

By June, it will have been the warmest its been all year.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This will get the vinyl off in a big hurry, especially if it's cold. No joke.

-

Dull the edge with sandpaper, and round the corners with a grinder.

If the weather is really cold, the brittle vinyl flies off in flakes like potato chips.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Edmonds
Visitor
Member # 2145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Edmonds   Email Henry Edmonds       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get a mbx vinyl zapper or crud thug made by snap on thats what i have.. works great for old vinyl... a little expensive but will get your money back

--------------------
We get you noticed
Henry Edmonds
X-treme Signs & Graphics
South Hill, VA
xtremesigns@yahoo.com

Posts: 142 | From: South Hill, Va. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stein Saether
Resident

Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stein Saether   Email stein Saether       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-10 C and vinyl goes of glass in a hurry,
on trucks maybe paint go off too

--------------------
Stein Saether
GullSkilt AS
Trondheim

Posts: 1183 | From: Trondheim Norway | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The steamer gets my vote. Wouldn't be without one. Fairly inexpensive too. Check it out "HERE"

Then, Rapid Remover to care for the residue. [Smile]

[Cool]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3485 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Farha
Visitor
Member # 931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Farha   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Farha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The obvious solution: have somebody else do it.

--------------------
Brad Farha, owner
Farha Signs
Beckley, WV
304-252-3778

Posts: 981 | From: Beckley, WV | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is what we use. http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Products-282018-1-Gallon-Wallpaper/dp/B0009XEL4O
It takes most of the glue too. But we do have a shop to do it in. I wouldn't want to do it outside. [Eek!]

[ February 15, 2010, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: Jane Diaz ]

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I had photos of Jon Jaran's setup which sits on top of his utility truck just for this type of work. The truck has a lift which removes an air assisted balloon so to speak which fills with air from the compressor and makes a full sized shop which you can drive into. The truck also pulls a home trailer as Jon travels about. I first saw these shop units used during the winter in Canada years back but I myself have never been in a position of not owning a business without a place to work, must be a southern thing [Smile]

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have one tool just like Rus's
It will scrap cold vinyl faster than scraping frost of a window.

Tons better than trying to pull soft vinyl.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!