Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Enamel Receptive Banner

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Enamel Receptive Banner
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At one time you could buy enamel receptive banners but those now seem to be extinct. Back in the "old days" there was a liquid called Ti-Coat that you could put on vinyl banners to make them enamel receptive, but I'm not sure I've seen that in years.

I have a large 5' x 15' banner to do but it has to be painted. What is the best thing to use as a barrier between the banner and the paint?

Thanks in advance.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ray...if you can't find any Ti-Coat....Johnson Kleer Floor Wax will do the job very nicely!
(Basically the same stuff....acrylic.)

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're right, Raymond; enamel receptive vinyl has seemed to have gone away.

Lately, I've been using Sherwin-Williams Sher-Kleer....and excellent all-around clear coat....as a banner primer.

I've also used satin acrylic latex enamel....painted the background in various colors, and done either vinyl letters or hand painted lettering. The acrylic sticks quite well.

One of them I did for a state fair vendor was from last year. She rolled it up and put it away, and used it again this year. It still looked good. Try some on a piece of scrap, if you want. Just wipe it down good.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I order enamel receptive banners from USBanner Corp via N Glantz.
They have also donated heavily to any Letterheads meet I have ever had or sent a banner to.
They come in different colors as well as white and just about any size you require.
http://www.usbanner.com/
Love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Staffan   Email Sam Staffan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still use 'Chromatic Ti-Cote', I get it from Wensco Sign Supply.

Wensco.com

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
721 S. Nokomis St. Mackinaw City, MI
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1694 | From: Mackinaw City, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Smith
Visitor
Member # 146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have painted directly on vinyl banner material that's sold to go through the new-fangled large format printers, but there are so many brands and varieties of that stuff...

I have no demand for hand-painted banners anymore so I stopped my experimenting, but several brands worked.

For smaller banners (up to about 48"), they still sell Tara Sign Cloth.

--------------------
Frank Smith
Frank Smith Signs
Albany, NY
www.franksmithsigns.com

Posts: 807 | From: Albany, NY USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too bad Texas is so far away I have plenty of Ti-cote for that job.

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Masters
Visitor
Member # 851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Masters   Email Bill Masters   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raymond I use Grip & Seal laytex stain killer from Coronado Paint. I get it from Ben moore supplier here in Scranton. I make my banners from old billboard flex faces and this paint sticks tight and stays flexable. It cost about $29.00 a gallon, if you can't find it the phone number on the can is 386-428-6461

--------------------
Bill Masters
Golden Signs
Scranton,PA
signbum@msn.com

Posts: 86 | From: Scranton,PA | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Smith
Visitor
Member # 146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill- that sounds fantastic! How did you discover that? How do you hem the edges?

--------------------
Frank Smith
Frank Smith Signs
Albany, NY
www.franksmithsigns.com

Posts: 807 | From: Albany, NY USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Masters
Visitor
Member # 851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Masters   Email Bill Masters   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank,
I don't hem the edges just put grommets in.
I found out the hard way when paiting a logo on a concert amphatheater roof tent structure, it was vinyl whith some kind of clear on it. I used 1-shot vinyl tycoat the first try then ronans on the second try after painting the logo and paint was dry it rained and the paint fell off so I tried Grip & Seal, 8 years and two name changes later paint is still on the tent

--------------------
Bill Masters
Golden Signs
Scranton,PA
signbum@msn.com

Posts: 86 | From: Scranton,PA | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry Berg
Visitor
Member # 7841

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry Berg   Email Jerry Berg       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look down the list here, it's called vinyl coat.

http://www.ronanpaints.com/clear.htm

I can still get vinyl receptive here in Portland at pacific coast sign supply. Have'nt tried ronan's product but it could be worth a try. I allways clean the banner very well before applying any sort of emulsion.

--------------------
Jerry Berg
South Paw Sign
Washington State

Posts: 87 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Masters
Visitor
Member # 851

Hey Ray,
This Grip & Seal also works great for priming signfoam.

--------------------
Bill Masters
Golden Signs
Scranton,PA
signbum@msn.com

Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to all for the information. One of the best things about Letterville is the gathering of minds and how easily you share with each other.

[ February 08, 2010, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: Raymond Chapman ]

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!