Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » have you tried to cut high intensity reflective on your plotter??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: have you tried to cut high intensity reflective on your plotter??
Sherye Bergmann
Resident

Member # 3067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sherye Bergmann   Email Sherye Bergmann       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This new high intensity reflective stuff is 17 mil thick! Has anyone out there had any success cutting it without tearing up their plotter? The tech at 3M says there are a few machines out there with enough downforce to handle it but I have to wonder.
Why do they come up with this stuff that's not user friendly anyway?

--------------------
Sherye
SignSource
Wilmington, NC

Posts: 82 | From: Wilmington, NC | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dick Bohrer
Visitor
Member # 905

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dick Bohrer   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Bohrer       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The high intensity was designed to cover the whole background of the sign and not really to be cut on a vinyl cutter. 3M has a colored translucent that is then cut on the machine and applied over the backer, it is made for this purpose. This material was designed for the Highway safety sign industry, 3M lobbied the State and got a bill passed to replace all street signs with high intensity in the next couple of years, our small town has over 500 stop signs. When cutting high intensity you can duplicate your design on top of itself and cut both at once, this sometimes works, Its hell on blades as there is crushed reflective material and glass in the vinyl.

--------------------
Silver Creek Signworks
Dick Bohrer
Two Harbors, MN

Posts: 236 | From: Two Harbors, MN USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben Diaz
Resident

Member # 7319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ben Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Ben Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've used it to cover sign blanks for offramp signs, but have never attempted to cut it with the plotter. It's pretty thick stuff, and not easy to put down (watch for squeegee scratches). If you can get away with not using high intensity I would suggest oracal oralite 5600. It's really nice stuff and alot easier to get on and off than all of the other reflectives I have used. Really the only reason you would need high intensity is if the signs were off the highway. And in that case you can either cover the whole blank or get the blank already covered. Then you can add graphics to the blank with transparent vinyls so the reflective shows through.

--------------------
Ben Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W Lincoln Ave
www.diazsignart.com < basic site
www.diazsignart.net < flash site
muralmuseum.com < International Walldog Mural & Sign Art Museum

Posts: 316 | From: Pontiac Il | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sherye,

Talk to the folks at Reflexite. They have a high-intensity series comparable to 3M's but its thinner and can be cut with a standard plotter. The catch is that you have to purchase an entire log. The good news is that they'll cut it down to whatever widths you need.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sherye Bergmann
Resident

Member # 3067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sherye Bergmann   Email Sherye Bergmann       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm.. I did have a couple of people tell me that they laminated the substrate with the HI first and then cut the letters out of the translucent and overlaid it, however my background is aluminum with an enamel finish and I'm not required to use a reflective background. Just a customer that is set on HI material because of it's visibility. I also was told that you could cut it with a laser or a die cutter but neither are something I have available to me.
May just have to stick with the engineer grade reflective.

--------------------
Sherye
SignSource
Wilmington, NC

Posts: 82 | From: Wilmington, NC | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sherye Bergmann
Resident

Member # 3067

Thanks Glenn! I'll check it out tomorrow.

--------------------
Sherye
SignSource
Wilmington, NC

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!