Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » CHALLENGE 2010 (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: CHALLENGE 2010
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All of the above Steve. Plus I blended the new trim onto the old base with sculpting epoxy for one more level of bond.

As far as OVERwhelming me... I have been overwhelmed on occasion - at least briefly. But as far as my own work... I know I can always do better.

I'll keep trying in Yarrow...

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8740 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll just bet that Dan could do a tiger, but it would probably end up looking like Tigger.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunset Regall
Resident

Member # 11140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sunset Regall   Author's Homepage   Email Sunset Regall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh geeze donna....video too funny! looks like your garage is like mine...but, don't clean up too much! there's no way i could live a neat-nick's way of life. ex: whenever i find out a man i'm dating is an ultra-clean freak, i turn away and yell, "NEXT"!

sorry folks....but i have to speak up for us global peeps walking the edge....i call us the fringe element.

sun

--------------------
ArtBySunset.com

Posts: 193 | From: The Road | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunset Regall
Resident

Member # 11140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sunset Regall   Author's Homepage   Email Sunset Regall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uh oh...TMI again?
damn, one of my resolutions was to not clutter this board.

-

infringingly yours,
sunset

--------------------
ArtBySunset.com

Posts: 193 | From: The Road | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back in October of 08 at our Sign Magic Workshop I created this little boat as Henry's name plate. I actually did two of the little boats, keeping one as a display piece for my studio. My intention was to make it into a display sign when I got some extra time.
 -

Well, it finally time as one of the series of CHALLENGE 2010 projects. But I was stuck for an idea until last night. Then it came to me...

I love to tell stories and tease at our house - it's part of my job as grampa - a job I take very seriously! It gets the kids going and it's plain old fun. Janis just rolls her eyes and says under her breath "he's SUCH a liar!" A few weeks ago our niece was here and I was teasing her in a big way. Janis laughingly muttered her usual comment under her breath which our niece only partially heard. She asked Janis to repeat herself. Before she could Bec piped up that it rhymed with SHMYER. Dad was such a SHMYER.

Ever since then every time I launch into teasing mode the family has taken to calling me shmyer. It's their fun way of letting me know that they KNOW I'm just teasing.

I decided to create a sign with this inside joke. Shmyer's Harbor Fishing Company. It features the little boat which bears the name Janis Lee.
 -

The sign pieces are on the router table today.

How's your project(s) coming along???

-grampa dan

[ January 25, 2010, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Posts: 8740 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Peterman
Visitor
Member # 528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Peterman   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Peterman       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got the mailbox done, but now I need to do something with the post, and I need to get back to my octopus, and get some more rivets made for the display wall

--------------------
Jon Peterman
200 Summit Loop
Grants Pass, OR
--------------------
a.k.a. dc-62
success is in Jesus Christ

Posts: 434 | From: grants pass or. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

I put in a little time on the new project today... got the sign glued up and the bracket welded up. I decided I didn't like the round bar over the square shape... opted for two bars from the post instead. It won't swing if someone bumps it this way. It is mounted underneath the sub sign.

-

Now I'm ready for the fun stuff... sculpting the myriad of details in Yarrow...

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Rene Giroux
Resident

Member # 4980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rene Giroux   Author's Homepage   Email Rene Giroux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I'm working on my Dad's urn (see my other post...), here's something that qualifies as a personal project.

Being in a residential area, I don't get any walk-ins here or any kind of exposure except for my work that's out there.

A local sticker shop with whom I've developed a good and friendly relationship over the years, has his shop right on the main commercial strip here in Gatineau. Last summer, I was in there to pick up some stuff to complement an order of mine and the subject of a cool address for his cottage came up. Asking about price, design, sizes, I got thinking... "I'll do your sign for free" I said. In exchange, I'll display my work in your showroom.

Not being actual competitors, he agreed. So here's the sign he got for his cottage. His name is Gauthier and her name is Bissonnette, so this is where the "Gaubiz" came from. The main board is an actual step from the old deck. A 2" thick of red cedar he didn't have the heart to get rid of. I knew he was a fisherman, but I wanted the fish to have a special look, like the evil eye of a pirate. You can almost hear him go 'ahrrr' if you lean in a bit.

-

So on and off, I've been working at this project that will be displayed in his newly renovated showroom. It's a tree like structure that holds different signs that explain the variety of products available here. All the words end the same way, wich is kind of catchy, and each panel represents the style it is ment to be. There's even a place to hold a decent pile of my business cards (that came from there anyways...)

They are finishing the floors this week, so this thing will be displayed there as of next week...

-

-

-

-

-

So now back to the urn project!

[Cool]

--------------------
Rene Giroux
Perfexion.ca
Gatineau, QC.

www.renegiroux.com

I'd rather regret things I did than things I didn't do!

Posts: 1875 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rather nice, Mr. Giroux, rather nice.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Very nice Rene!!! And a great idea to get your work out there...

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fabulous woodgrain piece Rene!

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Peterman
Visitor
Member # 528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Peterman   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Peterman       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got the magictree done and placed in the yard.
so my neighbors pizza will get to the right place.
(maybe I need to rethink that [Smile] )

-

That is awesome Rene

[ January 26, 2010, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: Jon Peterman ]

--------------------
Jon Peterman
200 Summit Loop
Grants Pass, OR
--------------------
a.k.a. dc-62

Posts: 434 | From: grants pass or. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

That looks great Jon!

I spent hours this morning filling and sanding the big aspirins to make them perfectly smooth. Bec spent the afternoon putting two coats of primer on them making sure there was a perfectly uniform but very subtle texture over the entire surface. It was exacting work. Tomorrow we'll paint them white before we ship them out. There's no cool blends no fancy glazes... just pure white like the real deal - only on a much bigger scale.

-

While Bec labored on the big tablets I had some fun... on my latest CHALLENGE 2010 project. I of course was purposely introducing texture to my piece and ENJOYING it too!... first sculpting then painting with the thick Coastal Enterprises primer. It's great for adding subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) texture.

-

Tomorrow while Bec is carefully painting the tablets pure white I'll be busy slopping paint on this little piece... and while she second coats the white I'll be adding layer after layer of glaze....

I have to finish this sign in the next couple of days to get ready for another Home Show which happens this weekend.

Which type of sign do you think I enjoy more in Yarrow... [Smile]

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Catharine C. Kennedy
Resident

Member # 4459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catharine C. Kennedy   Email Catharine C. Kennedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're getting a LOT of barnicle practice in! Looks great! Will you be reporting on the home show for us again this year?

--------------------
Catharine C. Kennedy
CCK Graphics
1511 Route 28
Chatham Center, NY 12184
cck1620@taconic.net
"Look at me,
Look at me, Look at me now!
I't's fun to have fun,
But you have to know how!"

Posts: 2173 | From: downtown Chatham Center, NY | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

I booked into the home show today... and got the last booth (in a primo location) at a considerable discount.

With the home show confirmed I got things in high gear and finished the Shmyer Harbor sign for the display...

-

Everything is pretty much ready to go... just have to load the trailer tomorrow...

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Jon Peterman
Visitor
Member # 528

that is way cool! let us know how the show goes.
I'll have to keep my eyes open for our next home show event.

--------------------
Jon Peterman
200 Summit Loop
Grants Pass, OR
--------------------
a.k.a. dc-62

Jon Peterman
Visitor
Member # 528

heres a little progress on my new sign.
yesterday:

-

Today:

-

and my mailbox has been up 6 days with no damage but a few admirers and the same for the address sign

[ January 29, 2010, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: Jon Peterman ]

--------------------
Jon Peterman
200 Summit Loop
Grants Pass, OR
--------------------
a.k.a. dc-62

Jon Peterman
Visitor
Member # 528

Dan, that display booth looked great

I like the mailbox I made so much I was trying to come up with a post idea and also came up with another box idea

-

I think I'll do the piling idea for the existing box and make the new one as a display piece as I will shorten it up and will not be using the flag, and mount it on the corral post

[ January 30, 2010, 01:43 AM: Message edited by: Jon Peterman ]

--------------------
Jon Peterman
200 Summit Loop
Grants Pass, OR
--------------------
a.k.a. dc-62

Jon Peterman
Visitor
Member # 528

Here's some more work done this morning:

-

-

-

a little more shaping then it will be coated in bondo and starfish and barnacles added, rivets glued down and lettering cut and placed

--------------------
Jon Peterman
200 Summit Loop
Grants Pass, OR
--------------------
a.k.a. dc-62

Jon Peterman
Visitor
Member # 528

more progress on the octopus sign:

-

-

-

-

--------------------
Jon Peterman
200 Summit Loop
Grants Pass, OR
--------------------
a.k.a. dc-62

Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work Jon- thanks for the pictures!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

I'm liking it Jon!

Keep it coming.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Joseph Diaz
Resident

Member # 5913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Joseph Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is going to be crazy Jon, I can't wait to see it finished!

--------------------
Joe Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave.
Pontiac, IL 61764
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 538 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

After the home show my neighbor was handy as we unloaded the trailer. I decided to lug the heavy nautical sign up to my studio where it was designed to live permanently. The fit was tight as we squeezed through the door and up the stairs to my office. I rearranged the displays a little and it fit perfectly!

I've been looking at it a couple of days and decided the display needed one last tweak to make it right. I put the last coat of gold on the north 'N' this morning and am now satisfied. I like it!

-

Now there's only one thing I can do...

And that's to start the next piece for the CHALLENGE 2010 series... I've long had a hankering to do a very detailed steam train sign. It's been living in my head for ages! I know just the place to display it too...

It's time to fire up the MultiCam once more in Yarrow...

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

I just wish you would paint the pole.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Hey Raymond... parts of the pole ARE painted... the rest is natural rust... and it's hard to tell the difference. I must be getting good! [Smile]

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK....about a month from now I will be loading up my car to head down to the Chicago World of Wheels event to help out with the charity auction event. I have been trying to put in an hour or two each night to get the Garlit's painting completed in time to donate it at the auction. I have been working a lot of overtime at my "regular" job lately, so I haven't had as much time to throw at this as I would like. But I am making progress....how bout ya'll?

-

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!