Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » CHALLENGE 2010 (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: CHALLENGE 2010
Pat Welter
Resident

Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat Welter   Email Pat Welter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan its absolutely spectacular...as are all the other projects on the go here...still thinking of what to do here as there are many,I know , I know pick one...hmmmm Rene.

--------------------
Pat Welter
Masterhand Signs and Designs
Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada

Posts: 1304 | From: Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, that's Dan's motto - LESS IS MORE........

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4116 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Peterman
Visitor
Member # 528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Peterman   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Peterman       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
some may remember a project that I started last Jan for a seafood restaurant posted here.

http://www.letterville.com/ubb-cgi/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/2/4057.html?#000000

well the logo finally morphed into this:

-

exactly what they told me they did not want when we started but the partner that had most of the money had most of the say. I took a deposit bought materials and started the job (which I by this time was not happy with) I cutout and base coated the panel and then received a call to cancel the job as they were now going out of business.
so my new challenge (before completing the others of course) is to finish the project as I envisioned it.

so this is what I am stating with:

-

more to come

--------------------
Jon Peterman
200 Summit Loop
Grants Pass, OR
--------------------
a.k.a. dc-62
success is in Jesus Christ

Posts: 434 | From: grants pass or. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About six years ago I did the tile work in my library. I didn't want a plain old floor so I laid a circle medallion into the center of the tile work. We had also focused the pot lights on this spot. It was my intention to 'someday' build a fancy feature piece for this special place.

With the CHALLENGE 2010 gauntlet thrown it was time to take up my own challenge. I started the project on New Year's Eve. Tonight I put the last brush stroked on the piece. Janis helped me take it off the work table (it's heavy!) and we set into it's long waited home in the library.

The library looks finished at last. I kinda like it. [Smile]

-

One down more to come in Yarrow...

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8739 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Peterman
Visitor
Member # 528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Peterman   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Peterman       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well heres a little progress from this morning

-

-

more tomorrow

--------------------
Jon Peterman
200 Summit Loop
Grants Pass, OR
--------------------
a.k.a. dc-62

Posts: 434 | From: grants pass or. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Barker
Resident

Member # 174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Barker   Author's Homepage   Email Henry Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its a beautiful piece Dan, and been alot of fun watching it all come together......and as ever you raise the gaunlet a few notches in the process, but that's great too [Smile]

--------------------
Henry Barker #1924akaKaftan
SignCraft AB
Stockholm,
Sweden.
A little bit of England in a corner of Stockholm www.signcraft.se www.facebook.com/signcraftsweden

Posts: 1552 | From: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat Welter
Resident

Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat Welter   Email Pat Welter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks super Dan....Funny Ruth and I were talking and thats exactly where I thought it was going...Now, is it facing true North? Man it sure is fitting where it is sitting.( In the library), plotting direction, charting the course, it all starts in the idea room...Love it.

--------------------
Pat Welter
Masterhand Signs and Designs
Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada

Posts: 1304 | From: Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautiful!!!! [Smile]

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So...now, where do we sit to listen to the Master?

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When we host workshops the piece will move up to my studio... there's a similar tile medallion in the tile in the center of the floor in that space as well. The sextant may be moved up there in any case if I get a better idea for the bottom circle.. I've been working on a coffee table/gnarly tree (with faces sculpted into it) idea for the last year or so that I originally had in mind for that space.

And as far as listening to the Master... I'll come to Texas to listen to you. You have chairs don't you? If not I'll just sit on the floor.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Posts: 8739 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chairs? Sure we've got chairs. Do you think we are hicks or something? Of course, they are just plain chairs, no Disney/Sawatzky versions.

Hopefully, by next month we will have indoor plumbing.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

This is my first practice sheet with freehand decorative painting elements for hopeful future furniture projects. Once I get set up with the right brush, paints, and floating medium, (had alot of trouble with the i's) I'm pretty sure these will improve in a real hurry. I'll keep at it.

I'm following instructions from a fellow DIY blogger I'm teaming up with for my workshop series, that specializes in handdone illustrations on furniture.

I'll post the url for the video post once it's up and running tomrrow. Facebookers already caught a glimpse. [Big Grin]

Dan, that's crazy awesome. I'll come peek soon!

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

This evening I decided to do a little gold leaf rather than watch TV... and put the finishing touches on the second project for CHALLENGE 2010. The sign is just a small one and measures about 14" x 14" x 6" deep. The brush work is a little shaky... but overall I'm pleased with the result...

-

I received a couple emails today from other folks who are now starting their CHALLENGE 2010 projects...

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grrreat stuff, Dan, Joe, Sunset, Dale.. wow, and I must say that your cutting toys have to be a blast, Dan!!

This stuff knocks my socks off. (Joe that realism reminds me of Tomb Raider artwork of Lara, in a way!)

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

I also found a bit of time to add a few more feathers to the chicken sign... Phoebe REALLY likes this dude!

-

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

With the emails and phone calls I've received privately added to the projects mentioned above we have more than forty folks committed to the CHALLENGE 2010 so far. There are some VERY cool projects underway!!!! I suspect there's a bunch more who WANT to do it or have even started but will stay silent until they get a handle on their project.

Hopefully more will jump in as well. DON'T WAIT. INDECISION KILLS GREAT PROJECTS.

This is about learning something new or simply doing a project you have simply wished for a long time. it won't happen unless you START and then work at it at least a little every day. Committing to something here in public will hopefully keep folks motivated and working on their project.

Jump in - the water is FINE in Yarrow...

-grampa dan

[ January 20, 2010, 01:38 AM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I had the time. But this is a good problem. I have several projects on the computer that I want to make for the display wall.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5400 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adding to the list - I am now a:

Wanna be Director
Wanna be Movie Star

The wanna be list continues to grow.

NEXT!

http://funkyjunkinteriors.blogspot.com/2010/01/workshop-series-purging-part-2.html

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catharine C. Kennedy
Resident

Member # 4459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catharine C. Kennedy   Email Catharine C. Kennedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a multi piece, multi media response to the challenge- the first part is a hand engraved poem, with each border piece being a different pattern. I'm anticipating doing the frame with hand-planed molding, faux painted and the glass to incorporate glue chipping:
part 1 is done  -

--------------------
Catharine C. Kennedy
CCK Graphics
1511 Route 28
Chatham Center, NY 12184
cck1620@taconic.net
"Look at me,
Look at me, Look at me now!
I't's fun to have fun,
But you have to know how!"

Posts: 2173 | From: downtown Chatham Center, NY | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lori Wilcox
Resident

Member # 8042

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lori Wilcox   Email Lori Wilcox       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny video Donna!! l roared laughing!!!

Who was that masked woman?

--------------------
Lori Wilcox
Tabby Ink
Hinton, Alberta Canada
Ph 780-865-4305

Posts: 306 | From: Hinton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Cat I'll bet there is a ton more work in that piece than meets the eye at first glance! I look forward to seeing it when it's all done!

As for Donna... I spit my Coke this morning when I saw the video. It proves once again some people will do just about anything to actually get out of doing the real work. I'll do a personal surprise inspection later this week to see how clean the garage really is now. [Smile]

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

I won't be home. Just let me know when. [Smile]

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada

Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

And I'll have my camera too. And you told me the code for the garage door opener... [Smile]

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

A star is born!

Great videos Donna. You seem to be creative whatever you are doing. Looking forward to more.

I know those take a lot of time to produce.

The website is first class, too.

OK...I'm a fan.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Joseph Diaz
Resident

Member # 5913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Joseph Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, very cool and inspirational stuff on this thread.

Here is round two of my beer label. I'm still not totally happy with the girl's face, but I'll get it eventually.

-
 -

quote:
Originally posted by Brent Logan:
Nice label Joe! In my design job they're wanting us to learn 3D software. I'm curious as to what you're using.

Poser and 3ds max for the girl and keg, everything else is Corel!

[ January 21, 2010, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: Joseph Diaz ]

--------------------
Joe Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave.
Pontiac, IL 61764
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 538 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't worry about it, Joe - nobody's looking at her face.......

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4116 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sonny... [Rolling On The Floor]
Joe, how do you like using poser? I've considered purchasing it a few times, but never made the move.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brent Logan   Email Brent Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to learn 3ds Max someday. One of the guys I work with uses it. They don't want to pay the license fee to put it on another machine right now. I may try the trial version at home before paying 3900 bucks...It's a great program. Joe, can you translate the copy on the label for us?

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Posts: 919 | From: Reno, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FranCisco Vargas   Author's Homepage   Email FranCisco Vargas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan, you are a great inspirtation, that is a Dynamite piece. I will have to do something to add to my 2010 list, no it won't be anything close to your skills.

Donna, great videos, you kept me smilin running around the neighborhood getting rid of your stuff. That one rattan chair I think I would have a yard sale first then have a 'Free' sign to get rid of what you don't sell. Keep them coming

Joe, very cool label, kind of looks like my momacita on St Paulie's beer. You make me want to have me a cold mug of that Schnikesbrau...

--------------------
aka:Cisco the "Traveling Millennium Sign Artist"
http://www.franciscovargas.com
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935
"to live life, is to love life, a sign of no life, is a sign of no love"...Cisco 12'98

Posts: 3576 | From: Fresno, Ca, the great USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe's label says (in German) "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin said it. [Big Grin]
This is a GREAT POST! There's lots of inspiration here! Donna, the video is great! ...inspired me to PURGE!!
Kat, that engraving amazes me! I've tried that and it is VERY difficult!! Can't wait to see the final piece.
ALL of these pieces are amazing.

[ January 21, 2010, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: Jane Diaz ]

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

After looking at the sextant for a couple of days I decided it was underwhelming me just a little... It was a little too low and too top heavy. So I fired up the table saw and built a base for it... then started in on the sculpting to finish it in good style. I got a good start on it - about a third of the way around tonight. In the next few days I'll hack away at it then brush on some paint to finish it off, hopefully for good this time. The 'S' stands for south and this side will face south when it's finished.

-

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Jon Peterman
Visitor
Member # 528

that works. love it

--------------------
Jon Peterman
200 Summit Loop
Grants Pass, OR
--------------------
a.k.a. dc-62

Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still working on my Kenworth hood mural. I got the tiger done.  - Now I move on to the lady part. My Catwoman.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3822 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catharine C. Kennedy
Resident

Member # 4459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catharine C. Kennedy   Email Catharine C. Kennedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That tiger is GORGIOUS! All the work here- and the inspirations- are fabulous!!!!

--------------------
Catharine C. Kennedy
CCK Graphics
1511 Route 28
Chatham Center, NY 12184
cck1620@taconic.net
"Look at me,
Look at me, Look at me now!
I't's fun to have fun,
But you have to know how!"

Posts: 2173 | From: downtown Chatham Center, NY | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Wow. Looking at all this great work is making me tired. Must be nap time.

Dan, now that you've added the base I will have to stand on a ladder to see it.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And if you've ever used Dan's table saw, that's about as straight a cut as you'll ever get.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5092 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

AWESOME tiger Alicia! This piece is coming along nicely!!!

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never painted a picture of a tiger. I tried to make him look mmeaner, but for some reason mean,wicked nasty just doesn't flow out of my hand very well.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3822 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

A gruff, but lovable tiger - beautiful job, Alicia. Can't wait to see the rest........

And Dan, is it even possible to OVERwhelm you?

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The base is the finishing touch, Dan. Just what it needed and a perfect shape to compliment the design. How do you mount it together? Screws or glue or both?

Sign-cerely curious, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 870 | From: 2718-b Grovelin Godfrey, Illinois 62035 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!