Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » CHALLENGE 2010 (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: CHALLENGE 2010
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I had to google what a sextant was. Now I sorda know.

But the standard schmandard out there don't look anything like yours! So I continue to scratch my head and wonder where you get your amazing inspiration from. I don't think my card file comes in that size.

Crazy awesome!

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile]

oops double post...must have something to do with having the weight of the world above oneself...

[ January 12, 2010, 05:06 AM: Message edited by: Ian Stewart-Koster ]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the look of it a lot, Dan!

(Edited to add it's one of those things they used to prove the work was kind-of flat, yet kind-of round, just like the cut-off top of a hard-boiled egg- Columbus had one I think...)

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must be getting old - for the life if me I can't figure out what Dan's project has to do with sex.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Matyjakowski   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Matyjakowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow, that's looking really cool looking so far

how delicate is it?

those handles(?)look inviting

--------------------
Compulsive, Neurotic, Anti-social and Paranoid ... but basically Happy

Posts: 2677 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a steel bar laminated into each of those protruding bits and the handles. I'm not worried here in Yarrow...

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Matyjakowski   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Matyjakowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I kinda figured.
not worried in Rochester either [Smile]

--------------------
Compulsive, Neurotic, Anti-social and Paranoid ... but basically Happy

Posts: 2677 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pam Edmunds
Resident

Member # 9109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pam Edmunds   Author's Homepage   Email Pam Edmunds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow Dan!! That looks awesome!! I am in for this challenge for sure! I give myself this challenge every year to add new pieces to my trade show display. It is nice to keep up on doing fun and exciting projects to keep you mind working. I can't wait to see your piece completed. I am hoping to get things under control her soon so I can start on this project. I will keep it in the back of my mind. I hope things are well out your way! Things here are super busy for me which is awesome!! I can't complain. Hope to see you soon!

--------------------
Pam Edmunds
Just For You Signs & Design
64 Bruce Road 17
Tara, Ontario

Posts: 68 | From: Tara, Ontario | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the beginnings of my project - it's in my garage, so I haven't been able to work on it for a few days (those Canucks sent an icy blast thru here last week)
Eventually, as requested by my daughter, it will have a San Francisco skyline and Golden Gate Bridge in the distance.
It's inspired by the song "Solid Gold Cadillac" and Tom & Kathy Durham's cool Route 66 mural in Pontiac......

-

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brent Logan   Email Brent Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be careful... One of those fins could put your eye out! Nice job Sonny! How about the bay bridge & the coke sign? The Golden Gate would be nice too.

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Posts: 919 | From: Reno, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy Grossman
Visitor
Member # 235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy Grossman   Author's Homepage   Email Judy Grossman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A time machine Grampa Dan!?

--------------------
Judy Grossman
JG Signs & Designs
226 W. Jackson St.
Sonora, CA 95370

Posts: 207 | From: Sonora, CA, USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy Grossman
Visitor
Member # 235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy Grossman   Author's Homepage   Email Judy Grossman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice piec o' tail there, Sonny! I hate to say it, but something looks weird about the windshield line. The tail is perfectly wonderful and chromey. It's a lot to live up to on Tom and Kathy's '57 Chevy...but you are the one for the job. Can't wait to see the SF skyline behind it....And as the sun slowly sets in the West...whee it's warm. Hey! I got it...the top needs to be DOWN! With girls in bikinis hangin' out of it. Course, no one wears bikinis in SF....it's too cold there. But it sure would turn heads.

--------------------
Judy Grossman
JG Signs & Designs
226 W. Jackson St.
Sonora, CA 95370

Posts: 207 | From: Sonora, CA, USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom & Kathy Durham
Resident

Member # 776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom & Kathy Durham   Email Tom & Kathy Durham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sonny, give us old guys some fins and big bumpers and we're in heaven. Love the caddy.We too got a little inspired and made this sign for the sherif. He's given us alot of work, so it's a little thank you for his garage.
 -

--------------------
Tom & Kathy Durham
House Springs, MO

Posts: 654 | From: House Springs, MO | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got quite a bit to go - the windshield and convertible top are just barely roughed in at this point and I have a lot of sky blue shading to do on the chrome, but it's too dang cold here to work on it. Judy, would you be my bikini model? Tom, love the Boyer's piece and I bet he did too. I kept looking at pics of your '57 Shaker mural and thinking I needed a cool car in the garage and, naturally, we just gravitate toward bigass fins.......

Here's Mitch Woods to explain in detail:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBFBPNrFSRo

(sorry Dan, not trying to hijack your thread)

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This challenge is all about exactly this type of thing in my view... taking on cool projects (like this mural) for ourselves and then showing pics and telling how it was done.

Keep it up!

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lori Wilcox
Resident

Member # 8042

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lori Wilcox   Email Lori Wilcox       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Outstanding!!!

--------------------
Lori Wilcox
Tabby Ink
Hinton, Alberta Canada
Ph 780-865-4305

Posts: 306 | From: Hinton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard from a bunch of Letterheads via email.. and a few have phoned... plus those that have posted above. There's a wide variety of very cool projects underway! Hopefully more folks will join in as time permits.

I've been busy here too. Most days (but not every day) I try to sneak a few minutes on the Challenge 2010 projects. The diligence of those stolen moments is showing results too. I've been keeping track of my time on the sextant project. So far not including router time I have under 10 hours invested... mostly in the evenings or on weekends or when I'm spending time with Phoebe in the shop. We also put a bunch of time into her playhouse. While she tests out the latest addition I sneak over to my project.

Last night and through the day I managed to glue on the last of the pieces and did a little Abracadabra Sculpt on the barnacles and sea life.

-

I got the telescope, wheels and rivets all in place using epoxy and now its all about sculpting... I think the hard part of this project will be to know when to quit...

-

Having TONS of fun in Yarrow...

-grampa dan

[ January 13, 2010, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm starting a project that I hope will end up helping someone else?

This past weekend I donated some time and tried to do a few panels at the Milwaukee World of Wheels Pinstripe Legends event. The money raised from auctioning of the panels created there is donated to the Children's Hospital of Wisconsin. It is a great event and cause and I enjoy helping in any way possible.

On March 5th, 6th, & 7th Chicago is having their own Pinstripe charity auction event with proceeds being donated to Hope Children's Hospital Ronald McDonald House. So I am planning on going down for the event in hopes of helping raise money if possible.

Tonight I started a new piece that I hope to finish in time to donate to the event. The show has a theme based around the early days of drag racing and will be featuring some early drag cars including Don Garlits' Swamp Rat III, Swamp Rat IV, and Swamp Rat VIII. As well as some other older drag cars from the same era. I decided to try and do more of a fine arts piece geared towards the theme of the event. The last couple of nights I prepped the canvas for my new painting. I am going to do a close up painting of Don Garlits' Hemi drag racing engine. I sketched the image on the canvas this evening and plan to get started painting tomorrow night.....hopefully I can get this cranked out quickly? The canvas is 24" x 30" and will be painted in oils.

-

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Peterman
Visitor
Member # 528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Peterman   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Peterman       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really love those starfish and barnacles, so I took a few minutes and made my own. modeling clay, ball point pen, and a rivet brush were all I used.
about 15 minutes.

-

-

--------------------
Jon Peterman
200 Summit Loop
Grants Pass, OR
--------------------
a.k.a. dc-62
success is in Jesus Christ

Posts: 434 | From: grants pass or. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Those look great Jon! Making this kind of detail is real easy and fast... imagine what it can add to any sign. You can charge EXTRA for this kind of fun too!

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Joseph Diaz
Resident

Member # 5913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Joseph Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll play.

-

Dan talked about challenging ourselves and trying something new. In this design I wanted to try to utilize one of my 3D editing software. I used that to make the girl, keg and beer mug.

This isn't even close to being done. I need to work on her face some more. I think I'm going to go with a smile instead of her blowing a kiss, because it makes it look more like she ate (or drank) something sour right now. LOL. and that wouldn't be good.

I also want to mess with the colors of her outfit and I'm not sold on the panel or the lettering yet. But I wanted to post my first concept.

Dad is working on some beer labels too because he is going to start home brewing again, and I'm going to try to get in on the action.

--------------------
Joe Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave.
Pontiac, IL 61764
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 538 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

I'll have a tall, cold Schnikesbrau, please.

OOH LA LA, FRAULEIN..........

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Joe,
She reminds me of a blonde AVATAR girl! You really liked that movie didn't you? It shows! I think you did a great job but I agree a smile would make her look totally real. And where is all the water droplets on the label like all the other beer advertisements? I think Budweiser fell in love with the sweaty bottle thing for a while.

Looking forward to your next post!

Sign-cerely impressed!, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 870 | From: 2718-b Grovelin Godfrey, Illinois 62035 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Cool label Joe! It's too bad I don't care for beer... although that label might just make me want to try a cold one... [Smile]

Tonight Janis is busy quilting with her niece and so I was left to my own devices and rather than get in trouble I decided I would start another little CHALLENGE 2010 project.

The idea has been rattling around in my head for some time and I had done a quick sketch the other night while we were watching a TV show...
 -

The routing file only took about an hour or so to create in EnRoute and another hour and a half on the MultiCam. It ran while we had supper...
 -

Then while the lower sign portion was on the router I decided to glue up the streetcar...
 -

The ladies will be quilting all weekend and it's only Friday night in Yarrow...

How's your project coming along ?? [Smile]

-grampa dan

[ January 16, 2010, 01:00 AM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is so Cool Dan.. I so Love trains.. Might have to tie one into my project.. Going to start working on mine tomorrow.. Will hopefully get something done on it.

Mine is Actually going to be my own sign.. It has been 15 years for me with no sign GO Figure.

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sign face turned out kinda cool. Years ago I did a limited edition print of a streetcar like this. The print was titled 'Shake, rattle & roll" as that is what these old streetcars did.

When it came time to design the face of the sign I just had to use my wiggly lines and a little texture to keep the theme going. The font for 'streetcar' is a new one I am working on... it works well here as it bounces along like the streetcar...

-

The little streetcar and sign look great together... it's just a little piece about 14" wide x 14 high x 6" deep. This is going to be a FUN project as I add on the details like grab handles, air hoses and such and then paint it all up! I'll age and patina the sign and railcar too to add even more character. A little gold leaf on CAFE will make it pop!

-grampa dan

[ January 16, 2010, 01:39 AM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Lori Wilcox
Resident

Member # 8042

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lori Wilcox   Email Lori Wilcox       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan, the sextant and streetcar are fabulous! I can't imagine how much time it took to design the sextant with all the detail. You are amazing! Can't wait to see it with it's final patina.

--------------------
Lori Wilcox
Tabby Ink
Hinton, Alberta Canada
Ph 780-865-4305

Posts: 306 | From: Hinton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Whenever I'm taking a break from sculpting endless barnacles on the sextant I'm putting a little time in on the streetcar sign. I finished the basic assembly of that sign this morning... now for the detail bits...

-

Having fun in the sun in Yarrow...

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brent Logan   Email Brent Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice label Joe! In my design job they're wanting us to learn 3D software. I'm curious as to what you're using.

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Posts: 919 | From: Reno, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Peterman
Visitor
Member # 528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Peterman   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Peterman       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well I didn't waste all my minutes today, although I gave it a good try. day before yesterday I finally broke down and used the concrete and fiberglass mix that I had for some reason been shying away from, and redid the rocks at the base of my magic tree, then yesterday did a base coat of color and today did some more detail work on the roots.

-

-

the detail work started out by adding foil roots that were then covered in magic sculpt.

-

-

-

I also worked on my new display wall a little

-

-

--------------------
Jon Peterman
200 Summit Loop
Grants Pass, OR
--------------------
a.k.a. dc-62
success is in Jesus Christ

Posts: 434 | From: grants pass or. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After a couple nights of painting, I have a little color put down on my new painting project.....

I believe I will call it....."Non-Self Portrait No. 1"

-

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

It looks like those projects are starting to come together Jon. I can hardly wait to see them finished. I love the rivets on the wall.

And those reflections are looking good already Dale!

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is turning into a fabulous post I must say!

Sonny, LOVE the mural! One day I'll steal (borrow) Dan's projector and try something similar.

Yesterday I taught myself to create a video to music. But then realized half the takes were in compact mode (read: lousy quality). Learning learning... reshooting today. It's a video spoof on purging for my blog workshop series. I'll post the link here as part of my contribution when it's done. [Big Grin]

Me having fun toooo!

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

I spent the afternoon putting base coats of color on the sextant. Its pretty bright and shiny without the aging glazes but it's looking pretty cool. Now the paint has to cure before I dull everything down with grunge. The glazes will tie everything together and make it look old... Then I'll dry brush the barnacles to finish the top half of the piece.

-

How's you projects coming along???

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Darcy Baker
Visitor
Member # 8262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darcy Baker   Email Darcy Baker       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan, I recently spent 14 hrs at Disneyland and was underwhelmed even though I had a great time.I guess I'm spoiled by seeing your work.Great job!

--------------------
Darcy Baker
Darcy's Signs
Eureka Springs. AR.

Posts: 1169 | From: Eureka Springs, AR | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunset Regall
Resident

Member # 11140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sunset Regall   Author's Homepage   Email Sunset Regall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so, i've mentally toyed w/ this challenge idea of dan's since he put it out there on jan 6. i have accomplished 2 out of 3 personal challenges:

1. i have new business cards ordered
2. i became a resident here in letterville
3. i'm working on this portrait of dr enloe and son (3' x4') in sepia tones. our local hospital is named after him and i'm hoping they'll take one look at this and hire me to do a piece for a proposed museum in the new wing. i already have a mural on their parking structure.

-

thanks dan...you evil genious, you!

sunset

--------------------
Sunset Regall
SUNSET DESIGNS
sunssette@gmail.com
www.sunsetsdesigns.com

Posts: 190 | From: chico, ca | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

I'm glad to hear more are taking up my challenge! My first project is nearing completion with two more well under way. With Janis busy quilting this weekend I had lots of opportunity to work on the projects in the last couple of days. I finished the base coats on the top half of the sextant before I went into the house to make supper... but I left the fans on full blast to dry things out in a hurry.

The finishes are all hand brushes acrylic (house paints) so they dry in a hurry.

Janis is now playing some computer games to relax after three days of company while I snuck into the studio to put on some glazes... knowing full well just how dramatically they would change the piece.

-

-

While I love working on my customer's projects and the days we get paid are also very good - there's nothing quite as satisfying as working at something just for the sheer joy of it. This piece certainly fills that bill with bells on.

-grampa dan

[ January 17, 2010, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Rene Giroux
Resident

Member # 4980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rene Giroux   Author's Homepage   Email Rene Giroux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool stuff Dan, love it !

On an other note, for those who know who I'm talking about, looking at the B&W picture just above in Sunset's post, the man in there looks like a young version of Pat Welter..... ah, you think too? it struck me when I saw it !

--------------------
Rene Giroux
Perfexion.ca
Gatineau, QC.

www.renegiroux.com

I'd rather regret things I did than things I didn't do!

Posts: 1875 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan that looks so frigg'n cool!

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well done Dan. Kinda plain, but nice. [Smile]

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!