Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » CHALLENGE 2010 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: CHALLENGE 2010
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In past years I have thrown out various challenges, seeking to both stimulate others and myself to raise the bar in our own abilities. Some rose to the challenge - others didn't. And that's OK.

To those who are up for it I propose a NEW CHALLENGE for 2010.

I HEREBY CHALLENGE each person here to build a sample piece(s) for their own showroom. Pull out the stops - learn about and then try something new. Post designs and various steps along the way here so all may see, learn and be challenged to do something more for themselves.

The rules are simple. It isn't about routing, 3D, paint vinyl, digital printing or anything else or anything else specifically. Rather than trade or exchange pieces - keep it for your walls to show to customers and hopefully sell more like it. Do a new sign for your shop, wrap your truck. Anything is game for this challenge... except a customer's job.

The project I propose you do is to do the type of thing you wish you could do as a dream project or the type of work you would like to do in your shop. It doesn't have to be big. Use scraps or sample materials you have from suppliers. The deadline is up to you but don't let it drag out or it simply won't get done.

Keep it fun. This isn't about being better than anyone else... it's about being the very best you can possibly be... a little more than yesterday. The winner will be each of us the whole year through. Getting better, selling the work you WANT to do is all about attitude. First you have to want it, then you have to do it - then you can sell it.

I started the design for my first project for CHALLENGE 2010 a few days ago and posted it here. Tonight I kicked the router into gear and started building the piece physically. I am up for the challenge.

-

Who else is in for the game???

-grampa dan

[ January 06, 2010, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in!!
very inspirational Dan... nothing new there, but this challenge is worder so well.. it's like those self help books that say "now, stop reading about it, set the book down, and DO THIS NOW!"

Instead of telling us yet again what can work, this challenge really forces us to decide, do I believe in Dan's suggestions, or am I going to resist change & stay the same. If I believe in my mind, will I take the actual steps in my life?

Since I won't be able to afford any workshops, what a perfect way to channel the desire to invest in myself, but looking for guidance from my mentors..

I believe!

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Peterman
Visitor
Member # 528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Peterman   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Peterman       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started mine a couple of months ago and should be finished in a week or so. I am also involved in a local community art project that will allow me to stretch some (it will involve bears and harleys)

here are some past projects:

http://community.evergreenbanking.com/public-art-projects

--------------------
Jon Peterman
200 Summit Loop
Grants Pass, OR
--------------------
a.k.a. dc-62
success is in Jesus Christ

Posts: 434 | From: grants pass or. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool challenge Mr. Sawatzky, I'm already headed that way with some design and technique experiments. If I take this on, I'll just have to be a little more directional as far as the showroom part goes.
It occurred to me that you probably don't spend much time watching stupid television shows.

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in! But it won't be 'sign' related. [Smile]

I'm going to start learning to do decorative painted details on furniture next week!

I'm teaming up with a blog buddy kicking off our online workshop and that is what she's teaching. My part is digging out my garage to create a more efficient DIY workspace.

Yeah yeah.. one day this will all make some money. Some how, some way. [Smile]

http://funkyjunkinteriors.blogspot.com/2010/01/introducing-workshop-series.html

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rene Giroux
Resident

Member # 4980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rene Giroux   Author's Homepage   Email Rene Giroux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Better keep your work boots tight Dan.... the French guy is in of course!

What if we have a multitude of projects in the next few months... damn, I used a word with 'multi' in it.... OK then, I will be showing a variety of sample pieces to decorate my new showroom that up to now has only been seen by a few people.

Eye candy is very important in a 'showroom' and right now I can hang about a dozen and this little challenge is just the additional incentive to get the juices flowing.

If anything Dan, your timing is perfect!

[Cool]

Game on.........

--------------------
Rene Giroux
Perfexion.ca
Gatineau, QC.

www.renegiroux.com

I'd rather regret things I did than things I didn't do!

Posts: 1875 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm In now that phase one on the Pea shooter has been finished.

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been about ten hours since the CHALLENGE 2010 was posted. As soon as I signed off here I went to bed as it was almost midnight. But while I slept soundly the CNC router was busy working on my first CHALLENGE 2010 project. This morning when I turned on the lights in the shop the router was still busy - about half way through the BIG file. The final detailed pass is with a 1/8" bit. And that's only the first piece of two sheets of 1.5" Precision Board we will use for this project.

Like all my projects I have a clear picture of the finished piece in my head with a fair idea of how I will put it together and how it will be finished. We tend to fly by the seat of our pants... solving problems creatively as we go. It's the best way to pull these type of projects off making them better than if we planned everything out when it was conceived.

-

I can hardly wait to start gluing this piece up in Yarrow...

-grampa dan

[ January 07, 2010, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Matyjakowski   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Matyjakowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started my "for myself" project a couple months ago and have quite a few more to go. Something to putz around with as time allows.
It's got painting, gilding, carving, wiring, a bazillion little parts and details. Some learning and some invention.
My only guidance is it has to be all hand done... and I'm having a lot of fun with it!

--------------------
Compulsive, Neurotic, Anti-social and Paranoid ... but basically Happy

Posts: 2677 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now we have to guess whats Dan's Making also.. Looks like a Wind up train or Clock

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well...could I include my Lithophane as an early entry since it was something that I hadn't done before?

Don't you find it convenient that Mr. Dan issues a challenge when he is already almost through with his project?

OK...I'll fire up the ShopBot and see what it can spit out. My brain is almost frozen but maybe something will pop up.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Matyjakowski   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Matyjakowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, a challenge... like a contest/competition?

I'm out.
I challenge myself every chance I get... but really want no part of anybody else's.

Ruins the fun for me.

--------------------

Posts: 2677 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Magoo   Email Frank Magoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if I qualify or not, my challenge, per se, is an OPEN sign for front door, been four months now, you'd think a 5"x 8" door sign wouldn't take that long, >excuse # 56773; it's a steep learning curve, much more than Dan's little ol machine..... [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

[Cool]

--------------------
Frank Magoo,
Magoo's-Las Vegas; fmagoo@netzero.com
"the only easy day was yesterday"

Posts: 2365 | From: Las Vegas, Nv. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I have been working on my Kenworth hood mural.  -

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3813 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rene Giroux
Resident

Member # 4980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rene Giroux   Author's Homepage   Email Rene Giroux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terrific Alicia, can't wait to see that one finished!

[Cool]

--------------------
Rene Giroux
Perfexion.ca
Gatineau, QC.

www.renegiroux.com

I'd rather regret things I did than things I didn't do!

Posts: 1875 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As always Dan, you inspire and motivate many of us to step up and expand our talents. I am working on samples for the shop and will stretch myself to learn a few new tricks. Great idea for a challenge in January when we usually have a little extra time on our hands before business starts picking up in Feruary.

2010 is going to be 3Dimensional as often as possible!

Sign-cerely up for the challenge, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 870 | From: 2718-b Grovelin Godfrey, Illinois 62035 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any sample/piece for your shop is fodder for this challenge. It's not a contest... there will be no judging. The challenge is to simply get off our collective butts and do the things we dream of... for OURSELVES. Posting pictures of the efforts as they progress will hopefully inspire and teach others who follow along in the Letterhead spirit. I love the projects that have been posted/described so far by everyone who has chimed in!

I also started in on another new project today for our yard here in Yarrow. The project will be done over the next 3 months or so with the major work being done at the next Sign Magic Workshop (in March) as a demo piece. I posted the design a week or so ago... its the rooster slow/kids and critters sign.

I welded up the armature today for the rooster which will sit on top of the sign...

-

-

Stay tuned for continued progress on the CHALLENGE 2010 projects...

What are you doing for CHALLENGE 2010 ???

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Gary Boros
Resident

Member # 8487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gary Boros   Author's Homepage   Email Gary Boros   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan, I'm just curious, when you run a file of that type pictured above, for 10+ hours through the night, do you run the entire system that whole time? Specifically I suppose I'm referring to the vacuum hold down and the vacuum pick-up.

--------------------
Gary Boros
SIGNWORKS STUDIOS LLC
Monroe, Connecticut, USA

Posts: 264 | From: Monroe, Connecticut, USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm out as far as any challenge is concerned. But. I do have a goal for the shop.

The shop in general looks like a run-down piece of crap and is desperate need of sprucing up. The shop's main sign has been vandalized twice and is simply falling apart after 8 years of abuse. The two buildings have no signage except for lettering on the office door and a test print on the lobby window. The landscaping looks junky.

My goal for 2010 is to replace the main sign, put signage on both buildings, letter the pickup, strip and reletter the van, put all employees into company shirts, print new business cards and mailers, and put some new sealer on the asphalt parking lot.

That's my challenge for me anyway.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

The longest I've run the router continuously on one file is about 22 plus hours. It covered an entire 4' x 8 ' sheet of Precision board and was heavily textured. This file is very similar and has now run for about 18 hours... still a couple of hours or more to go. By the time this piece and its companion piece is all cut and textured I estimate that there will be about 35 hours of CNC routing in the project... four hours of design, 16-20 hours of hand assembly and carving/sculpture, plus the painting time which will take a couple of days... all done a little at a time and spread out over weeks as I can fit it in.

I have no doubt the electricity meter is spinning pretty good with the compressor, vacuum hold down, dust collection vacuum and router running steady since the start. All components of the system are heavy duty and rated for continuous running... no worries there. The exhaust from the vacuum hold down is now piped through a massive muffler to quiet it down and then piped into my shop. The heater's haven't kicked in since the router has been running. In summer I'll have a bypass switch in the piping to push the hot air outside.

The good news is the pieces look FABULOUS as they finish!! [Smile]

-grampa dan

[ January 07, 2010, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

It sounds like you are in to me Glenn... Just post some pictures of your progress here to inspire and encourage others...

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Henry Barker
Resident

Member # 174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Barker   Author's Homepage   Email Henry Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in [Smile] I'm just not a very good planner, not good at gauging time, going on past record it might be Challenge 2010/2011.

Since leaving Yarrow last october, I have had many ideas for many things, but have just been snowed under trying to keep it all together, and the guys busy.

Its been a frustrating merry go round. So maybe a little push, peer pressure is what I need.

--------------------
Henry Barker #1924akaKaftan
SignCraft AB
Stockholm,
Sweden.
A little bit of England in a corner of Stockholm www.signcraft.se www.facebook.com/signcraftsweden

Posts: 1552 | From: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Peterman
Visitor
Member # 528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Peterman   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Peterman       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here's some updates on mine. it still needs some clay work done and the house numbers need to be glued up and attached, and of course painting.

-

-

-

-

--------------------
Jon Peterman
200 Summit Loop
Grants Pass, OR
--------------------
a.k.a. dc-62
success is in Jesus Christ

Posts: 434 | From: grants pass or. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Cieslowski   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Cieslowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been designing a presentation where I sandwich two relief carvings together into a shadowbox type get up that is iternally lighted with led's. The front carving will be lighted mostly with available light and the led's will backlight it and highlight the back piece. This also has potential to go to 3 layers. (This might give the carving impaired/CNC owners something new to explore)

I want to use a barnboard wood like frame but I'm going to use the Sugi technique to make a deep textured wood for the frame material......working on that part as we speak.

Will post picks as I progress.

This one won't be a sign but it will have sign implications......maybe use it on my own new sign.

Just one question Dan, should we attach our pics to this thread and make it a giant "Thread of Discovery and Creativity"?
Joe,

Makin Chip$ and havin Fun!

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
Connecticut Woodcarvers Gallery
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Posts: 2345 | From: East Canaan CT 06024 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Very cool Jon! Keep it up!

Each time I give a workshop the comment I hear most often is that folks just can't find the time to do these kind of projects or samples for themselves. I would argue the they simply don't make the time. I don't believe I have any more hours in my day than anybody else I know of... and yet I seem to squeeze these projects in. I believe everyone else could too - if they really wanted to.

Today I started on the chicken sign project. I welded the frame first when I normally took my morning coffee break. I didn't need any platz from the deli and I could easily drink a Coke while I worked. Even with the time it took to take and edit some pictures for the BB my break didn't run over 15 minutes. Another two minutes with some heavy duty tinfoil and some tape and it was starting to look like a chicken already . In that time I made some significant progress although the project still has far to go.

-

During my break time this afternoon I decided to do a little more on the project... with Abracadabra Sculpt. I mixed up four small batches of epoxy and put a thin layer over the frame I had welded on this morning's break. I took a little longer than my allotted 15 minutes... but we are all guilty of that from time to time...

-

What are you going to do on YOUR challenge 2010 project this week????

CHALLENGE 2010 is on in Yarrow...

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

That sounds like a great project Joe! I'll be watching and learning with great interest.

I'd like to keep this thread going so everyone can follow along as the projects progress. Its my hope lots more folks will commit to this challenge in the next while and do something they have been simply thinking about or wishing for far too long.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

OK, if it's like that [Smile] ...

here's some of my current challenge's progress
 -

and a few of the plastics I've finished
 -
hand cut on scroll saw reverse painted/gilded ... all the red is translucent and will have lights behind.

plus hundreds of other pieces in various stages of done

my goal for this week is to finish the play field painting and start sketching the back glass

I've been putzing away on this thing for months

I'm in no rush to finish... I'm enjoying the ride

edit----------
good thing it's a 2010 thing, it might take me that long... or not... or ...

[ January 07, 2010, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: Mark Matyjakowski ]

--------------------

Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

I LOVE those wings Mark... is that variegated leaf on the upper feathers?

Its going to be real sharp when its all put back together!

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

23k, veriegated, copper and aluminum on the wings

--------------------

David Thompson
Visitor
Member # 2395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Thompson   Author's Homepage   Email David Thompson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan,

How long does it take to make the file for a project like what you are doing?

--------------------
David Thompson
Pro-Line Graphics
Martinsville, NJ

I'm not this dumb, it's just the paint fumes talkin'

Posts: 397 | From: Martinsville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

David

That big file and the second one yet to route with a bunch of fairly complicated elements took a little less than 4 hours to design over a period of two days. I did the bulk of the work on New Year's eve and then finished it on New Year's day. The challenge I enjoy so much is how to make real complicated shapes by both adding and subtracting smaller elements which the program allows you to do. Then with bitmaps in grey scale the textures are added. To create these bitmaps you have to think spatially but in black and white... black is low - white is high... grey is somewhere in between. While the process is relatively simple it takes a bunch of thinking and preplanning to make it happen correctly. Most importantly you have to do the steps in the correct order to get the results you want. FUN stuff!

Once a program like EnRoute or Illustrator is learned the actual making of files is actually fun and fairly quick. Like aways the learning curve is the challenging part.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Matyjakowski:
23k, veriegated, copper and aluminum on the wings

I too love those wings...and I hate to be a doof, but could you expound a little bit on your method? A beautiful look, but my first impression was that it looked like (Mark Fair's?) abstract painting.

And sign arts on a pinball machine??? It's at once so obvious and so overlooked. Way to go, very cool.

One thing I always liked, though quite corny, was the automated musical instruments I would encounter at a pizza and pipes place in Sacramento Ca. All of the pieces were activated by levers and what. Can't remember what all was there, a player piano, cymbals and drums, pipes, tamborrine, bells, and maybe a coo koo bird. All automated, none of it digital. That would be a good place for old time sign arts.

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larry White
Resident

Member # 3999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larry White   Author's Homepage   Email Larry White   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright! I'll give it a go! I always wanted to make one of these beautiful brilliant cut and toned acid panels.

-

Pat Mackle once said he could build me a brilliant cutting set up. Looks like I'll have to give him a call and get that going. I've already learned the toned acid. No time like the present, huh Dan? It's the next level of glass ornamentation that I need to learn. I'll do my best.

But, life has a way of making the foreseeable, that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes.

--------------------
Larry White
Town of Machine
www.walljewelry.com
whitel@iname.com

Posts: 36 | From: Machine | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

quote:
but could you expound a little bit on your method?
nothing really special...
Everything is on back side of plastic.
Painted black outlines first (nazdar VP series)
Brush wunda size in one section... leaf it when it turns clear.
Wunda size next section... etc.
Krylon x-metals spray bomb makes for a great translucent on acrylic.

--------------------

Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a wonderful range of projects has been posted so far... This is so cool! Hopefully others are still thinking of starting to plan their CHALLENGE 2010 projects too and will join in soon.

Today was a busy one here for me with not much time spent on my projects. The first routing file didn't finish last night when I quit working so I stopped the router and did a proximity start this morning. When it was done I had the router take the rough cut on the second file. I'll let the router make the final pass tomorrow. I did find the time to put two of the larger pieces in the glue clamps. More will follow tomorrow and after that as I find the time. I'll be posting progress shots early next week as the piece comes together.
 -
I hope others will be able to do the same.

-grampa dan

[ January 08, 2010, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Sandy Baird
Resident

Member # 4773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sandy Baird   Author's Homepage   Email Sandy Baird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats a great clamp stand that your making Dan.

Maybe this should be posted under shop tools.

I think I'm coming down with clamp envy.

Sandy

--------------------
Sandy "Monk" Baird
Windwalker Sign Studio
Port Colborne, Ontario
L3K 4H9

Posts: 442 | From: Port Colborne, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy Grossman
Visitor
Member # 235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy Grossman   Author's Homepage   Email Judy Grossman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jon...I wanna live in Grants Pass. Your town has it goin' on. This is exciting stuff. Donna...great blog! These things are looking great. I am working on a totally new experience in and for my studio. It's a way to bring the artists of our area together in a new and entertaining, productive way. It's called BOOBER'S SKETCH & SPLATTER CIRCUS. Bring all types of entertainers into the studio, have them entertain for half an hour, while the visual artist embibe with their favorite beverage (an artist nightclub style)and then the entertainer models for 3 hours. Giving the visual artists a visual feast of color and style and paying the entertainer for what they do best. It's a win win. Art 4 Art.
I believe that in these times of economic challenges it is best to think as far out of the box as you can get. With that thinking comes creation and new energy. We are in that time and seeing what this new creation brings to the table is scary and exciting. I don't know where, what, or if BOOBER'S will bring anything. But I am excited for the possibilities. If it makes people think, if it challenges them to come together in fun and artistic endeavors, if it opens a door to new thought...then all is great. Hey...challenging ourselves is what it's all about...rising to our unknown levels, pushing the envelope.
Thanks Dan...you said it.

Our first meeting of BOOBER'S SKETCH & SPLATTER CIRCUS is on Feb. 8th. I'll let you know how it went. Our first entertainer sings, dances, and plays keyboards. He is coming in top hat and tails. Should be grand fun and a visual feast!

--------------------
Judy Grossman
JG Signs & Designs
226 W. Jackson St.
Sonora, CA 95370

Posts: 207 | From: Sonora, CA, USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Hopefully most are taking the weekend off and enjoying themselves. I spent some time in the shop today... but not 'working' the whole time. Between two meetings I also spent a little time on one of my CHALLENGE 2010 projects. The last of the files came off the router today and as they did I glued them together and started assembling the big piece... made some great progress too!!

-

I'm having fun in Yarrow...

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

For those still trying to figure out just what this thing is.... I'll give you a hint... in the picture the piece is upside down.

[Smile]

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Over the weekend I snuck in some time on my first CHALLENGE 2010 project. I didn't put in hours and hours... just a few minutes here and there. One evening when Janis & I were watching TV I also sketched out ideas for a couple more cool projects I'm itching to start when I get time... but not until the first one is complete. So many ideas - so little time!

Anyway I now have the primary assembly (22 large pieces) done on the big table sextant... There's lots more details to add and some pretty good size pieces to come yet... then the sculpting, detailing and paint!!

-

It will be the centerpiece in my studio... it stands 51" tall as is with more to come.

I'm having a BLAST in Yarrow...

-grampa dan

[ January 11, 2010, 02:21 AM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!