Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Computer question for the guru's.... (windows 7 pro 64) (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Computer question for the guru's.... (windows 7 pro 64)
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curtis said it better than I could.

Dave, with the exception of the newer 27" iMac, upgrading your video card wasn't possible. Even with the new iMac, you're limited to only a handful of nVidia cards.

Have a notebook running SL 10.5 on an Intel Atom chip? Good luck on upgrading to SL 10.62.

Upgrade your PowerPC to Snow Leopard? Sorry. Ain't gonna happen.

As Curtis said, you're locked in to a very limited number of options not to mention each of which is going to cost you a pretty penny.

As a PC user, I don't have a problem with Macs. They are very "safe".

I like PC's because I get more for my money and I can tinker like Todd did with his. Sure it brings it own set of problems, but that's part of the challenge and I like it. Jon's analogy of the Hotrod v. Mercedes is spot on.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10691 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's see....

My 7 year old P4's hard Drive took a dump. So it was start over with a new HD and the add Win7 or update the puter.
A no brainer...put in an i7, Intel mother board, 1 gig video card, and 2 new Sata drives, 4 gig DDR3 Ram and Win 7 64 bit plus new DVD Rom and DVD RW.
Worked from the git go...until I started adding programs! [Frown] The audio went away. (something overwrote something in the audio). Took a lot of razzing from the guys in Chat.

uninstalled the audio and reinstalled it...now it runs like a Champ!

All that for about $1000... can you do that with a Mac?

Boots up in less than a minute and Corel X4 and Photoshop load in 5/6 seconds!

I am a happy camper.

[For Your Information]

gotta add spel chek.

[ December 01, 2009, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: Si Allen ]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One final question - I hope!....

Here is the drive letter layout of my system...which I'd like to switch up:

Boot Drive: C (as it should be)
Sata Storage Hard Drive 1: F
Sata Storage Hard Drive 2: G
DVD Writer 1: D
DVD WRiter 2: E
External Backup 1: L
External Backup 2: M

Here's how I want it to be:

Boot Drive: C (as it should be)
Sata Storage Hard Drive 1: D
Sata Storage Hard Drive 2: E
DVD Writer 1: F
DVD WRiter 2: G
External Backup 1: H
External Backup 2: I

I went into 'Disk Management' but I cannot switch to drive letters that are already taken...the logical side of me tells me to reassign drives D and beyond to letters near the end of the alphabet ... then I can change them back to the letters I want closer to the beginning of the alphabet.

Is my thinking right here? Any danger in changing drive letters of drives that ARE NOT the boot drive?

Thanks.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your thinking is right Todd, You'll be fine as long as no programs are referencing a drive your changing and even it does just go into the Icon Properties and redirect it.

Your Missing a drive.. You need a dedicated drive,, a raptor or velo raptor for a scratch disk. Or even a striped raid of 4 raptors for a massive Photoshop scratch disk. [Wink] (It does come in handy on my video editing)

Seriously though.. Once Photoshop is loaded go into your preferences and redirect your scratch disk to a drive other then your C drive.. That will really help PS.

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill's right. That should work fine....

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you! I can sense you are both fine gentlemen, upstanding in your communities and beyond reproach. (just greasin' you for the next computer questions...hehehe)

Sincerely - thank you!

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure am Just ask my Parole Officer.

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Todd....mine did the same thing when I set it up. It is no big deal...guess that I am smart enough to remember thet F is my data disk.

[I Don t Know] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [For Your Information]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Well, it was an easy fix Si.... I just reorganized the drive letters as I thought; confirmed by the two previous gentlemen...rebooted...and it worked just great.

Now I have my boot drive followed by my next two consecutive storage drives, then my two dvd drives, and finally the external storage drives. Nice and tidy. [Smile]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glen, My bad, we weren't talking apples to apples (pun intended) I've never owned the iMac type computers. I was thinking of the towers which aren't all that difficult to add peripherals. My current Mac Pro has built in bays, (ready for plug and play) for 3 more storage drives and 3 extra PCI slots. The memory tray as ample room for more memory than I can afford and the graphic accelerator is sitting just above the memory bay, real easy to get to. As you can see I was talking about upgrading a tower. I wouldn't think of digging into an iMac.

I personally don't want to tinker. I just want to work. If I wanted to build a computer for whatever reason, or liked to tinker with components, I would build a PC in a heartbeat.

Jon, You need to put yourself in that non reading class buddy. You will not find me bashing PC fan boys, or PC's in general. I own 2 PC's and 2 Macs. I DO bash Microsoft Windows. I run both and I know what works for me. Jon, I RUN BOTH PLATFORMS... sorry for having a preference.

I truly hope that Microsoft finally got it right with Windows 7. I'll be forced to use Windows as long as I'm making signs, and eventually I know I will have to upgrade from XP, so I really hope Windows 7 ends up being a great OS. And if it does, I won't be bashing Microsoft anymore.

I had pictures of my Mac Pro ready to add to this thread but when I realized that Glen was referring to the iMac and that he was right about upgrading, I decided not to post them. I don't want Jon to think I'm pushing anything on him.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Argyle TX 76226

sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5417 | From: Argyle, TX | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave, the only reason I read this thread was to see if I had a suggestion for Todd...

You might not have been the point man in the circle jerk, (I think you may have a new captain... [Rolling On The Floor] ) but you were 3rd or 4th man in... did you have real help for Todd? No... the only reason you posted was Mac related.

You, your family, pastor and all your friends can use Macs, I don't care. Glad for you. I don't bash Mac users for using Macs. I may have bashed them for their inane posts in PC threads, and probably will continue to do so, sorry. To me, PC/Mac arguments are completely pointless. Use whatever works best for you and the programs you want to use.

Like I said before, you are all welcome to have your Mercedes. You can also have 10 page threads discussing them, and I won't even read it... in fact, I'll take your advice and not read ANY computer related threads anymore... I'm here at Letterville for inspiration on sign design from the likes of Grampa Dan, Raymond, Sam Staffan and others.... I really don't have any computer problems.

[ December 02, 2009, 01:20 AM: Message edited by: Jon Jantz ]

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!