Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » logo under epoxy, what's compatible?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: logo under epoxy, what's compatible?
Sherye Bergmann
Resident

Member # 3067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sherye Bergmann   Email Sherye Bergmann       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a customer who is manufacturing wooden fishing plugs. They're pretty big (about 8' long)and 2" in diameter.His plan is to finish coat them with a compatible paint and then put several coats of west systems epoxy over that. He came to me because he wants to put his logo (text only), under the epoxy. Kind of like a surfboard. Does anyone have any experience with this or know of a material or method to make it work?

--------------------
Sherye
SignSource
Wilmington, NC

Posts: 82 | From: Wilmington, NC | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Matyjakowski   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Matyjakowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's he using for finish coat?... use the same stuff.
How are you planning to apply logo? (paint, vinyl, mask-n-paint, screenprint?)

--------------------
Compulsive, Neurotic, Anti-social and Paranoid ... but basically Happy

Posts: 2677 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gosh, sounds like work. I'd print on clear and stick em on.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3821 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
8' long? What's he fish for, whales? [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5400 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darcy Baker
Visitor
Member # 8262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darcy Baker   Email Darcy Baker       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a source for you.http://www.foamez.com/logo-paper-3-pack-p-300.html

--------------------
Darcy Baker
Darcy's Signs
Eureka Springs. AR.

Posts: 1169 | From: Eureka Springs, AR | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Epoxy clear is compatible with any urethane paint and that is why I suggest HoK ( House of Kolor } urethanes and you can use a mask for each plug. The HoK will not lift like the uncertainty of oil based sign enamels. Any clear coat will work over urethanes.

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sherye Bergmann
Resident

Member # 3067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sherye Bergmann   Email Sherye Bergmann       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the guidance, it looks like he is going with the House of Kolor urethane and then we're going to experiment with the logo paper product under the epoxy. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Sorry for the typo Dave, these are definitely not for whales and only 8" in length!

--------------------
Sherye
SignSource
Wilmington, NC

Posts: 82 | From: Wilmington, NC | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
House of Kolor urethane striping and lettering paint, use their catalyst as it will stop the clear coat from attacking the paint if clear is applied too hot which means a heavy coat is applied.

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darcy Baker
Visitor
Member # 8262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darcy Baker   Email Darcy Baker       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sherye,When I glassed boards I would place a screened logo on this type material under a layer of 4 or 6oz glass and laminate it.The material goes clear with resin. Your plugs are much smaller, but experiment with what suits you application.

--------------------
Darcy Baker
Darcy's Signs
Eureka Springs. AR.

Posts: 1169 | From: Eureka Springs, AR | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well if I was him I wouldn't spend too much money on getting his name on the lures. It sounds like by the size of the lure that they are muskie lures. After a few strikes, his name may be illegible anyway. I cut muskie lures on my CNC for a guy and he just labels them for the bait shops.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5400 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When it comes to epoxies, I've found System Three to have the best clarity and UV resistance in their SB-112 resin. It's made for surfboards so it will take some abuse and protect graphics underneath pretty well.

Otherwise, the urethane clear is tops and most likely it will be the easiest option to find locally.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sherye,
Jake prints on rice paper from any craft store and the resin adheres it. He uses fiberglass on the surfboards, but you'd probably want to find a resin that you could dip the plugs into and hang to cure.

PS. Sherye, guess who moved back here last week?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6724 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sherye Bergmann
Resident

Member # 3067

Sounds like the system three may be the better way to go for the intended use. I'm sure he'll find out whether or not it's worth it after a few trial runs and prototypes are out there. The plug is used for large game fishing off shore - Marlin, Sailfish, Tuna - that whole scene. He's getting a lot of attention for them and now he's trying to perfect the product which now includes aesthetics.
The ones I've seen come in several different solid colors and one two color. He may have a hefty investment in testing the first few out but I guess anything successful like that has to have an initial price. I wonder if rice paper is the same thing as the logo paper Darcy recommended.
Rick - I'm guessing someone got homesick. Maybe the opportunity will be better out West. Hope he strikes new gold out there!

--------------------
Sherye
SignSource
Wilmington, NC

Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a joke I'd add to the lure, "Bite this end" pointing to the hook.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3821 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darcy Baker
Visitor
Member # 8262

Sherye, I believe it was rice paper that we used many moons ago.

--------------------
Darcy Baker
Darcy's Signs
Eureka Springs. AR.

Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jake prints on rice paper with a regular desk jet desktop printer. You could probably make enough prints for a hundred plugs on a page and cut 'em up and epoxy in place.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6724 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!