Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Router / 3D files....??????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Router / 3D files....??????
Bryan Quebodeaux
Visitor
Member # 48

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Bryan Quebodeaux   Author's Homepage   Email Bryan Quebodeaux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know what program is used to generate models like the kind offered at Vector Art 3d's website?
-Thanks!

--------------------
Edge-LE & FX ,VersaCamm SP-540, Epson 9600, Envision 375, Sabre 408, OmegaCP 2.02, Adobe CS2,

Bryan Quebodeaux
DeSign Works
Church Point, LA
337-684-6058
bryanq@designworks1.com
www.designworks1.com
http://www.myspace.com/design_works

Posts: 167 | From: Church Point, La. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Crumley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bryan,

There are several. The most popular are ArtCam and EnRoute. They are pricey. The new comer on the block is Aspire. It's advantage is ease of use and a price of 1/3 off the other two. And does the exact same modeling.

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Posts: 1428 | From: 2200 Research Park Blvd. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and a lot of hard work!

(there's also Rhino which could be used to start things off)

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Crumley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ian I'd suggest you give the free Aspire introduction a go. It's much easier to use since they have complete "On Line" tutorials. It also comes with a bunch of pre-maid models.

As I remember Rhino doesn't generate tool paths. There's a ton of 3D programs on the market, like that, however they aren' designed for CNC work. Which means you will need another tickey program to make the process work. It can be a time hog and confusing. But every year it gets better and better.

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Posts: 1428 | From: 2200 Research Park Blvd. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe,
thanks for the suggestion- If I wasn't already invested in Enroute, I would give Aspire a go!
Enroute does the toolpaths too.

I just mentioned Rhino as another 3D program, that's all.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rene Giroux
Resident

Member # 4980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rene Giroux   Author's Homepage   Email Rene Giroux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I run EnRoute Pro-4 and it works great.

Most of these software can do much more than the users care to learn in most cases. If you find yourself at the limitations of EnRoute and still need more speed, I think you're in the wrong line !

[Cool]

--------------------
Rene Giroux
Perfexion.ca
Gatineau, QC.

www.renegiroux.com

I'd rather regret things I did than things I didn't do!

Posts: 1875 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Davidson
Visitor
Member # 531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Davidson   Email Bill Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
don't routers work from 3D dxf files?

--------------------
Bill'n'Annie Davidson
Heathcote, NSW, Aus.
my Aussie wife,
a Toohey's Old,
my Holden Ute,
Retired from the rat race!

Posts: 309 | From: Heathcote, NSW, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

You can have a 3D file in many formats, including dxf, but you then need to convert that file to something that the router can 'do'.

Some programs need a 'post processor', but Enroute has one built in.
Whet that does is it applies various parameters to the 3D file like the geometry & diameter of the cutter in the router, the speed of cut, the amount of step-over per pass, depth of cut etc, and it generates G-code toolpaths, based on those inputs applied to the shape in the file.

These toolpaths control the router & tell it when to go up, down, sideways or whatever.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

Gregg Parkes
Resident

Member # 7710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gregg Parkes   Author's Homepage   Email Gregg Parkes       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bryan, there are a number of ways to do "things" associated with 3D.

Firstly, you can take a single dimension object and have it convert to 3D via programs like Artcam, Enroute, and Aspire. Each of these once given a "relief" - that is a pictorial third dimension - then can have a toolpath applied to it.

You can also go into REAL 3D and design from scratch (which is the way I do it) in a program like Rhino. To me, this is so far superior to the three above. A different world.

To answer your question (I think) Vector Art most likely use (maybe) one of the above 3 programs. You really can see the quality difference when you visit somewhere like www.3dmodelclub.com where a physical object is made and then scanned 360 degrees, to create the meshes.

You can also look at programs like RhinoArt (a Rhino plugin) and Stenza which will do a superior / more flexible job but more laborious due to the missing "just hit this button" process.

[ October 16, 2009, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: Gregg Parkes ]

--------------------
Gregg
Sydney Signworks
(02) 9837 1198
Schofields NSW Australia

Posts: 368 | From: Schofields | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!