Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » photoshop / image question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: photoshop / image question
Nancy Beaudette
Visitor
Member # 1983

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Nancy Beaudette   Author's Homepage   Email Nancy Beaudette   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an image that I've edited in photoshop - I've removed the background around an object. Now I want to import just the object into omega, but the white box background comes along with the image. How do I get rid of that white box?

--------------------
Nancy Beaudette
Cornwall, Ontario

Posts: 227 | From: Cornwall, Ontario | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nancy, I don't know Omega, but in many programs you could draw a box bigger than the white one and select both and then assign it a mask.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6714 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nancy............save it as a .pdf with a transperant background. No white box that way.

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancy Beaudette
Visitor
Member # 1983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy Beaudette   Author's Homepage   Email Nancy Beaudette   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need to place the image object on top of another image....I should probably just do everything in photoshop, but the job was already started in omega.

--------------------
Nancy Beaudette
Cornwall, Ontario

Posts: 227 | From: Cornwall, Ontario | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graham Parsons
Resident

Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graham Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Graham Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Nancy,

I don't know what version of Omega you have, but in ours, what you want can't be done - it doesn't seem to recognize a transparency like that. Of course, a newer version might have fixed this?...

--------------------
Graham Parsons
Signs 'n Such Ltd
Swift Current
Saskatchewan
Canada.
www.signsnsuch.com

"Saskatchewan - hard to pronounce, easy to draw"

Posts: 710 | From: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancy Beaudette
Visitor
Member # 1983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy Beaudette   Author's Homepage   Email Nancy Beaudette   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeh, I wondered about that Graham. We have a newer version, but I don't think omega can do this.

--------------------
Nancy Beaudette
Cornwall, Ontario

Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nancy, Omega doesn't recognize transparencies.

There are ways around it. If the image permits, you can put a clipping path around it.

If you'd like, send me a low res image with an explanation of what you're trying to do and I'll see what kind of solution I can come up with for you.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Moser
Visitor
Member # 6526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Moser   Email Jim Moser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may need to unlock the "background layer" by double clicking on it and re-naming it.....this will give you a transparent background. If you don't do this you will still have a white background when you delete the parts of the image that you don't want. I don't know anything about Omega....

--------------------
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain !
Jim Moser Design
13342 C Grass Valley Ave.
Grass Valley, Ca. 95945
530-273-7615 jwmoser@att.net

Posts: 488 | From: Grass Valley, Ca. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you could export the Omega portion & combine it all in photoshop, if printing it all as CMYK would be acceptable, but otherwise, along the lines of Glenn's suggestion, I often make a "hole" in the vector components in Omega, & put the image in the back.

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bevin Finlay
Resident

Member # 2159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bevin Finlay   Author's Homepage   Email Bevin Finlay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Nancy;

When you import an image like that into programs like Omega it will flatten the image giving you that white background.

If the rest of the artwork in your Omega file is just text or vector shapes you could assign your colors and combine them, and then save the file out as an AI file. Open that in illustrator and copy and paste the components into photoshop as pixels on individual layers. Then you can work with that transparent image.

--------------------
www.bevinfinlay.com

Bevin Finlay
Artistry & Design
autoartist@bevinfinlay.com

Posts: 477 | From: Mid-Western Ontario | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Gilliland
Visitor
Member # 28

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Bob Gilliland   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Gilliland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nancy,

- I have really enjoy the work that you, Noella, and the entire Sign It team has produced over the years. Anyway. . .

If using Omega 3.x . . .

Inside PS:
  • Create a Working Path around the object(s)/image(s) (can also have other paths if desired, not just Working Path)
  • Save as a psd
Inside Omega:
  • Open/Import the psd file
  • Import Paths from Image dialog appears
  • » Check Import Working path (this one is the most critical of the three)
  • » Check Import saved paths
  • » Check Import clipping paths
  • Done; transparency is observed with full image integrity

Easy peazy, lemon squeezy! Now days it’s no muss, no fuss! Next time you see one of those hard working Cubical Clan members from the GSP Inc software team, pat ‘em on the back!  -

--------------------
Bob Gilliland
InKnowVative Communications
Harrisburg PA, USA

"The U.S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it.
You have to catch up with it yourself."

Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 642 | From: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bevin Finlay
Resident

Member # 2159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bevin Finlay   Author's Homepage   Email Bevin Finlay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey Bob; that was a really great tid bit of info. I was playing around with that in PS after reading your post and that will certainly come in handy.

thanks

--------------------
www.bevinfinlay.com

Bevin Finlay
Artistry & Design
autoartist@bevinfinlay.com

Posts: 477 | From: Mid-Western Ontario | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!