Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » I gotta tell ya...... MAC users (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: I gotta tell ya...... MAC users
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same software on both machines Curtis. No tweaks or add ons or junk on the pc I use at work. Dont have internet on it either. Illustrator runs okay on the pc, just boots up slow, and sometimes acts funny when completing a task. It dont on the mac. This is my experience with both systems, nothing else.

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Located at 109 N. Cumberland ave.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I just worked on my MacBook Pro.... in Photoshop...

The computer booted up probably in less than 10 seconds. Program booted up even quicker... I shut the program down and it was instant... then shut down the Mac OS and it took probably 3 seconds....

This machine also has Windows XP loaded on a second partition of the hard drive via Bootcamp...

So... I'd have to agree with the Mac folks on the speed thing. Still using a PC 95% of the time though... because I'm mostly on my desktop which is a pc.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr Curtis Dalton
Visitor
Member # 7547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr Curtis Dalton   Author's Homepage   Email Mr Curtis Dalton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay Okay, so we all agree. 50% of sign makers are comfortable using Windows. The other 50% like using OSX and Glenn needs a ride to the mental institution..... now can we please move on and get our work done!?

--------------------
Mr Curtis Dalton
Advant Edge Signs & Graphics
24 Neptune Cr. Dartmouth, NS

Posts: 242 | From: Dartmouth, NS | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10691 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Rolling On The Floor] I hear the clank of the lock being clasped shut now....

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. I' thought I'd help Curtis out.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Posts: 10691 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Glenn. Only you would bring politics into a discussion about computers and operating systems.
If you dont like the topic, dont take part, but dont try to get it closed down by putting something political up. Man, you're starting to lose some respect....

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

I see. So when Joey injects politics, you don't say anything? But when I do it as a joke, you get upset.

Gee. Thanks John. If being humorless is what it takes to have your respect, I don't want it. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He didn't take offense when "Mr." Dalton made the mental institution crack either.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

I didnt see Joeys crack about politics. Sorry about that, he shouldnt have done it either. This aint a political thread, none of you should have injected it into the thread. And dont play it off as humor Glenn. You know better than that.No david, I didnt take offense. Mr. Dalton didnt direct that to me.
You guys have been miffed ever since Barb shut down and deleted the thread the other day. Man, let it go.

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Whoa....who's miffed? Did I say I was upset? Show me where I said I was upset. Hell, I defended Barb. This is her's and Steve's site and they can do anything they want with it. Moderating is a PITA job and frankly the don't need to answer to anyone for what they do.

Some of you people need to lighten up. I don't F'n care is someone has a Mac or a PC. They're just computers. Its just fun to razz Mac owners because they are so darn sensitive.

Hey! Look at me. I bought a Mac!

Whoopdeedoo. Good on ya. If owning one is going to cost you your sense of humor, you may want to reconsider. At least owning a PC requires you to have one.

BTW, I thought what Curtis said was funny even if it was at my expense. If we can't laugh at ourselves, lets all just crawl under a rock. Yeesh.

[ August 26, 2009, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: Glenn Taylor ]

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still haven't decided regarding Mac vs. PC.

I don't know if the debate is politics... or religion!

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5099 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you mean this Glenn: everyone would have to be pretty drunk to agree with your views on everything from sign shops to health insurance, religion, politics and the MAC vs PC.

or did you mean this: Curtis says:
The software title has the problem.. But the PC gets the blame

And I said, sounds the last administration had the problem but Obama gets the blame.

Either way it wasn't a full blown discussion with numbered photos and links to whatever is is that makes for craziness.

I personally find all this quite amusing and takes me away from an every day hum drum routine, plus I like when Glenn gets riled up and starts posting links and photos of things he knows little about. I should visit him [Smile]

[ August 26, 2009, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: Joey Madden ]

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

C'mon over. I'll treat you to some Eastern Carolina BBQ. Just promise you'll leave the bong at home. [Wink]

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's not barbeque.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Sorry Curtis.

Raymond and I are about to go a round.  -

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Kevin Gaffney
Resident

Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Gaffney   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Gaffney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this too sensitive a time to ask one simple question.
As someone, desperately wanting to move to the mac platform, but like most, strapped for cash at the moment, is a mac worth probably twice the money a similar pc would cost.
Not trying to start another war, just trying to justify spending probably another 1000 dollars

--------------------
Kevin Gaffney
Artistik Signs
Kinnegad
County Westmeath
Ireland
044-75187
kevingaffney@eircom.net

Posts: 628 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Gaffney
Resident

Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Gaffney   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Gaffney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this too sensitive a time to ask one simple question.
As someone, desperately wanting to move to the mac platform, but like most, strapped for cash at the moment, is a mac worth probably twice the money a similar pc would cost.
Not trying to start another war, just trying to justify spending probably another 1000 dollars

--------------------
Kevin Gaffney
Artistik Signs
Kinnegad
County Westmeath
Ireland
044-75187
kevingaffney@eircom.net

Posts: 628 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr Curtis Dalton
Visitor
Member # 7547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr Curtis Dalton   Author's Homepage   Email Mr Curtis Dalton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Glenn, I'm glad you know I was joking about the "mental" crack I made. Cuz, it really was a joke. I actually thought you were being funny on here as well. Even though I honestly love using a Mac, I really don't dislike Windows users.. at all... I just like starting funny arguments.. I do that alot.. with my friends. I ask them to hang out, then I start a topic (even if I agree with them) I'll disagree just to drive them crazy!!! After they leave I think to myself.. "wow, I'm an a$$" but they all know I'm kidding around. Sometimes.

Anyway, I understand your political joke, it was funny cuz it was just a joke. Mine was just a joke as well. Thanks for finding it funny. Peace out... I'll join back in, on a topic about sign work.

--------------------
Mr Curtis Dalton
Advant Edge Signs & Graphics
24 Neptune Cr. Dartmouth, NS

Posts: 242 | From: Dartmouth, NS | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin...Buy what you wish to buy..

Don't let the "elitists" in either camp sway what you want, need nor can afford.

If you let others govern what you buy, you will probably be unhappy in the end.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8890 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

100!!!

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

BTW...... Double-Post Score....

Mac - 2
PC - 1

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hahahahahahahaha.......finally got a picture of a typical Mac salesman:

-

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

That does look like the guy that sold me mine Si. [Smile]

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin- just wondering where you are getting your figures? $1000 really? What are you comparing?

When I bought my custom built Dell Laptop- $1800, My MacBook- $1600... pretty much the same specs
When I bought my custom built Dell Desktop Workstation- $2100, My 24" IMac- $1800 pretty much similar specs except the monitor size (Dell was only a tiny 17")

Even if you look on the websites- Low end Studio Mini Desktop Dell- around $400-$600, Mac Mini- around $600
Dell Precision T7500 High End Graphics with 22" Monitor- around $2100, 24" IMac- between $1800-$2100

You have got to compare apples to apples, by the time you add on all the little bells and whistles, you would be surprised how close in price they are-
sure you can get a PC at Wal-Mart for about $300, but I don't think I would trust it for work. You sure can't compare a $300 PC to a high end 8 core $3300 Mac Pro.

Plus- if you decide to buy a Mac, you get those cool little apple stickers to put on your car and show the world that you don't follow Glenn's advise- to be another Windows Beta Tester, like the rest of the world, hoping and praying that the next release will somehow magically work and people will stop talking about Macs-

And for sure don't pay any attention to the Canadian who spends his winters basking in the sun, wearing a sombrero, and drinking Mexican beer- and he has the nerve to call us "elitists"! haha

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1736 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well now,, BBQ or grilling

I much prefer BBQ over grilling. Only a real man knows BBQ. The rest who grill are elitists.

Grillers,, They fire up some charcoal, lay on some meat and let it burn. They pretend to have all the answers on making a great dinner. They use this little steal pot with some kind of wire frame to hold the meat over a fire. They don't know it but they are making cancers coals. They build their fire on the back deck near the pool and look at their best friends daughter while she does the splits ofa the diving board. They use a little can to catch the drippings to make sure they don't land on the wood deck.

Now for a real way to cook a BBQ
BBqr's Have a really fine set up for making a BBQ. They have a large kettle that would never fit on the back deck. They need space.
They fire up the charcoal, add in some hickory and some mesquite for smoke. And then cook. They cook all day long. Never get the heat above 160 F. They never allow a fire to get up and burn the meat. They use the finest of ingredients to make a great BBQ sauce. Now that is the real BBQ. It dotn matter where its done though. Texas all the way East to the Carolina's. They all have a good deal of skill. And they use the RIGHT tool to cook a set of ribs.

I insist that the BBQ setup is the best. Any other way is just junk. BBQ, This is real cooking.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Shortreed   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What does any of this have to do with Letterheads? It's about people. Not machines!

What the hell is going on here? This is not the website we started. I ashamed to look at most of the crap being posted these days.

I accept most of the blame. As many have pointed out in phone calls and e-mails, I am not here to babysit the way I used to. The Letterheads I grew up with didn't need a babysitter. Well just me, but I had enough sense to keep my big mouth shut and listen to those that were doing what I wanted to accomplish.

Things are going to change. I want to get back to the Letterheads I love and the Letterville we envisioned. Some of you are leaving town.

I'm sorry it got to this point, but it's plain to me some are not here because of their passion in Letterheads. After 15 years, some of you have never even made an effort to attend a meet.

Times have changed, but I know most of you are more concerned about keeping the best of our trade's history alive and learning the new technology together. That learning process does not include insulting each other, and/or trying to improve our own self esteem by attempts to ridicule others.

Let me remind you all that this is our meet. That means we get to make the rules. It's obvious that has just become too big for Barb and I to look after ourselves. As a result, I am going to seek partners and volunteers to help out. It may even be time to let new owner's take things over. I'm tired. Barb cannot continue to do this herself.

This post will be locked. We want to see more participation in panel jams. More discussion on layout. Honest talk about the business end of doing what we do and how it effects all of you at home. Those that like to stir things up are going to be asked why they should stay. If you are not here to contribute in a positive manner you will be asked to leave.

We're going back to our Letterhead roots. Hope there are are enough of you left to make the trip with us.

--------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673

steve@letterville.com

www.letterville.com/profiles/shortreed/

Posts: 3710 | From: Fergus, Ontario, Canada | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!