Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » I gotta tell ya...... MAC users (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: I gotta tell ya...... MAC users
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started using a PC in 1990 and have always gone with a PC and only in 07 did I receive my first MAC as a present, it was a powerbook and I eventually gave it to my nephews son for collage because I still use a PC laptop as my main toy. Here it is 09 and I have a dual core G5 desktop with a 26" monitor which I have been using for music storage and occasional usage for the past 2 years. But heres where it gets interesting.

I just realized ( slow learner ) that this is a phenomenal piece of equipment and is so simple to operate once I put my mind to work and trying to learn the terminology which MAC has written. Names like airport, kaos box and dashboard become so simple and adding programs like the wireless keyboard and mouse after figuring out how the CD opens because there isn't a button that could screw up like a PC has is such an easy task. The power is like a race car and the sound system can be heard wherever am in the house. Oh and I forgot to mention that all the programs are directly in front of me at all times no matter where or what I'm doing, just point the mouse down an∂ everything comes up. totally unreal, wow

I do have several things I have to work out like hooking up a microphone as the one I have from my PC laptop doesn't work on the MAC as its connector is too loose and from what I've read, it may need a powered microphone. I was at a MAC dude's place today and he said he never heard of this, oh well eventually I will get that taken care of as I like using Skype. This MAC belonged to my nephew who passed on in the beginning of 07

My only wish was that I would have started out with a MAC to begin with and maybe it would have been much simpler to ease my way through this world of technology in terminology that is more of what I am used to than to have played games with mickey mouse programs which crashed in my world many times.

I will continue using this MAC not only for my enjoyment but for home security as well and hopefully can get some tips along the way. I probably need a newer version of the mac book for real dummies as I have a problem where I can read something but not put it into proper perspective unless I could hear it verbally.

Anyway, that's all I wanted to say beside the fact that I love the MAC.

[ August 24, 2009, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: Joey Madden ]

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Lauze'
Visitor
Member # 6443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Lauze'   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Lauze'       Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought a used Mac Mini for the kids. I, too, am a PC guy. When I fired up the Mac for the first time, I felt like I had taken a trip in a time machine to the future 'cause no PC looks, feels or runs like that. That said I have just upgraded most of my shop computers to XP..he he so I have been in the dark ages for many many years. I thought I'd wait for it to stabilize [Wink] Many of my programs are not available for MAC so I'll always have a PC.

My first computer was a UNIX based machine in 95 and it cost me $11000..now it's a door stop.

Have fun with the MAC

--------------------
Gerald Lauzé
FeatureWorx Creative Fabrication
206-19148 27th ave
Surrey BC

Posts: 264 | From: Cloverdale ( Surrey ) BC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Gaffney
Resident

Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Gaffney   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Gaffney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pc guy here for nineteen years. Can't wait to make the switch to apple. My conversion began with the iphone. Unfortunately, with the hard times we live in, I may have to wait a lot longer for my mac. One thing is for sure, although a couple of my pc's are beginning to show their age, I will not be rushing out to replace them with a dell offering or anything similar, and will never buy another pc.

--------------------
Kevin Gaffney
Artistik Signs
Kinnegad
County Westmeath
Ireland
044-75187
kevingaffney@eircom.net

Posts: 628 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ted Turner
Visitor
Member # 2799

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ted Turner   Author's Homepage   Email Ted Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Atta Boy Joey! I have been using Mac for about 8 years. You always find another trick thing that these things can do. I do the majority of design in Illustrator, use a bit of Photoshop, and only use my PC to plot thru Flexi. Once ya go Mac, ya never go back!

--------------------
Ted Turner

Paint Designer / Stylist - Styling Dept.
Harley-Davidson Motor Company
Product Development Center
11800 W. Capitol Drive
Wauwatosa, WI 53222

phone 414.465.6005
cell 414.232.8185
fax 414.465.6330

ted.turner@harley-davidson.com

Posts: 81 | From: Wauwatosa, WI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ted Turner
Visitor
Member # 2799

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ted Turner   Author's Homepage   Email Ted Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure why this posts twice...

--------------------
Ted Turner

Paint Designer / Stylist - Styling Dept.
Harley-Davidson Motor Company
Product Development Center
11800 W. Capitol Drive
Wauwatosa, WI 53222

phone 414.465.6005
cell 414.232.8185
fax 414.465.6330

ted.turner@harley-davidson.com

Posts: 81 | From: Wauwatosa, WI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're on a Mac.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Applause] [Applause] [Applause] Glenn!!!

And the computer wars continue!!! [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8878 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Lauze'
Visitor
Member # 6443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Lauze'   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Lauze'       Edit/Delete Post 
Glen...

I actually LOL'd

G

--------------------
Gerald Lauzé
FeatureWorx Creative Fabrication
206-19148 27th ave
Surrey BC

Posts: 264 | From: Cloverdale ( Surrey ) BC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curt Stenz
Visitor
Member # 82

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Stenz   Email Curt Stenz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Joey. You might find these sites interesting on occasion.

http://www.pure-mac.com/

http://tips4mac.blogspot.com/

--------------------
Curt Stenz Graphics
700 Squirrel Lane
Marathon, WI 54448

Posts: 590 | From: Marathon, WI 54448 | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joey...........you %$#@%&# turncoat!

[Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lori Wilcox
Resident

Member # 8042

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lori Wilcox   Email Lori Wilcox       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's about time people are seeing the light!

I've been a Mac user since 1984 (okay, givin' my age away now), and you don't know what I think 'PC' stands for. I certainly don't want to offend anyone, but when you start on a Mac, it's pretty hard to use a PC, as there are so many more steps to do what a Mac can do in very few. They didn't have Mac drivers for Flexi when I started. Congrats new Mac lovers!! I'll be upgrading mine soon, that will make lucky 13 for me.

--------------------
Lori Wilcox
Tabby Ink
Hinton, Alberta Canada
Ph 780-865-4305

Posts: 306 | From: Hinton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
mac for years... then PC... the infection didn't take... I don't gloat or advertise for either, they have all worked, neither took extra steps, and both have made me money without virus infections.. 99% PC though

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Question for Mac users.....

From a business perspective, did the more expensive Mac make you a dollar more than a PC?

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Went from using nothing but PC's to trying a Mac laptop....

I'll get a PC next time, most likely.

To me, the Mac is somewhat eccentric, and NOT as user friendly as a PC. It's a quirky thing now that the excitement of *buying a Mac* has worn off.

I like the way You create a file tree on a PC much better than the Mac...

Some programs on a Mac don't seem to allow you to *click* a button to make the program fill the entire screen, which is simply done on a pc...and I have to physically drag a corner of the application with my cursor to fill the screen - weird!

Maybe I just haven't learned the Mac well enough yet, but since it's my laptop, I don't use it as frequently as my desktop, so naturally I haven't focused on it to the extent I do my main work machine.

Which brings me to another point: Whether you use a Mac or a PC, I think it's probably better to stick with ONE format, rather than trying to switch between two and remember the idiosyncrasies of both. The same problem arises when switching between Illustrator and CorelDraw....it's too easy to get a brain fart as you try to do something in one program which is done a little differently in the other...get's confusing some times.

Oh..and then there's this:

Mac laptop = $2,800
Dell (loaded) Studio PC Laptop = $1,200 (just bought for my kid)

The Dell has more quality components than the Mac too.

I will say that I like the slimness and durability of the Mac aluminum cased laptop better though.

It's neat, but I guess I'm more comfortable with how the PC works...now that the 'wow' factor of opening up the Mac has worn off.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's funny how people still defend PC's. PC stands for peice-a chit.

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Niiiice ... [Razz]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr Curtis Dalton
Visitor
Member # 7547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr Curtis Dalton   Author's Homepage   Email Mr Curtis Dalton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glenn, the "more expensive Mac" made the feeling of going to work much better. That makes a big difference on how much work you get done at the end of the day.

--------------------
Mr Curtis Dalton
Advant Edge Signs & Graphics
24 Neptune Cr. Dartmouth, NS

Posts: 242 | From: Dartmouth, NS | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh, well, our internet PC died last week.
It was a P3-600mhz - a dinosaur in today's terms, but it had had a good innings. It did all we asked of it, & did it fine.

I replaced it with a 2nd hand p4-2600 that cost all of $35 at an auction house.

I'll say 'good value' to both deals!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Curtis,

So in other words feeling better about a more expensive piece of equipment translates into an unquantifiable increase in productivity?

Hmmm...I can get that by just changing radio stations.

[ August 25, 2009, 08:45 AM: Message edited by: Glenn Taylor ]

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Mr Curtis Dalton
Visitor
Member # 7547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr Curtis Dalton   Author's Homepage   Email Mr Curtis Dalton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hahaha, Glenn, you are a funny guy. it's simple dude, you like PC, so you enjoy working with one. I like Mac, so I enjoy working with one. That's how good business works. If you start to "nickel & dime" your equipment and that's how you decide between Mac & PC... you're doing the wrong thing. Sometimes I do that with "No Name" mac n' cheese. I get the same amount on my plate, but it leaves a bad taste. That hardly happens with Kraft.

--------------------
Mr Curtis Dalton
Advant Edge Signs & Graphics
24 Neptune Cr. Dartmouth, NS

Posts: 242 | From: Dartmouth, NS | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Luszcz
Resident

Member # 4042

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Luszcz   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Luszcz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glenn,

Reading your many posts of late, I'm surprised you don't see the profit potential of a piece of equipment that works better, faster and easier, requires less maintenance, produces more accurate color, does not require anti virus software, spyware, ad aware, and all that other junk that we accept as normal for a PC. (Yes, I use both, because my bookkeeping software is a holdover from my pre-Mac days.) You'll never hear of a Mac user "down grading" their OS for an extra $100!

My G5 is five years old and still works beautifully. A new high end Mac Pro will cost $2600. A comparable PC is about $1200. $1400/5 years is $6/week.

I have to save 10 minutes a week to pay for that, or ruin one less print a month.

--------------------
Paul Luszcz
Zebra Visuals
27 Water Street
Plymouth, MA 02360
508 746-9200
paul@zebravisuals.com

Posts: 483 | From: 27 Water Street, Plymouth, MA 02360 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Betcha this one won't last long (typed on my PC - although I could have also done it on my Mac). [Wink]

I'm waiting to see if this evolves into statistics which find that Mac users are 30% more likely to develop herpes, while PC users are 25% more likely to develop Gonorrhea.

Hey, I just realized something interesting: Joey Madden started the past two controversial posts and then largely disappeared while everyone drug their canons up to the front lines.... Are you up to some mishief Joey? [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post 
Things that make you go hmmmmmmm.....

Why do all you Mac people talk about the different ways to run 'Windows' on your systems? I sure as heck don't hear about PC users trying to figure out how to run OS X on their computers......

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before I was turned to the dark side, I too, believed that the "fruit based substitute for a real computer" was simply an overpriced, high-tech toy that only the rich and snobby elitists could justify owning- much like an exotic sports car, or an extensive wine collection, or Dan's MultiCam...

After many years of wandering through the wilderness of personal computers, I finally got a glimpse of the promised land. While shopping for a new computer system, like I had blindly done many other times, A sense of enlightenment covered me, and the dark shroud of doom and gloom was slowly lifted from my eyes as I actually compared apples to... other fruit (sorry, bad pun)

I found that high performance laptops cost about the same when you have to add extra bells and whistles and RAM and memory and extra drives and aluminum cases etc... just to match one of the fruits right out of the box. hmmmm

I found that by the time you spend extra money on larger monitors and sound cards and such, you can get a huge system already working for the same money. hmmmm

I found that there is a better, faster, safer, more efficient operating system that is so powerful, it can actually run the "other" operating system from inside itself and provide two computers for the price of one. hmmmm

I found out that I don't have to waste any more precious time trying to be a part time computer geek or take any more classes at ITT Tech just to figure out how to install some irritating driver that has been rebuilt 37 times in the last month and still doesn't work. hmmmm

No more countless hours and fistfuls of hair searching and downloading the latest spyware, adware, malware, silverware, underwear, whatever kind of ware... just to make a box of wire and solder turn on to allow me to check my email. Just a simple box that has one button and when it is turned on, it WORKS. EVERYTIME. hmmmmm

Sure, there was a small learning curve when I switched- I had to adjust my thinking a little- instead of 45 clicks to email a photo to someone, I had to learn that I just had to click on the photo and drop it in the email program. Or that instead of opening 37 different file trees to find something, all of my files were visible right on the desktop, or I could just type a "search" and find it instantly- there were many other things that I had to adjust, but the simplicity has really caused me to become lazy when it comes to working on the computer.

One final thought: does it not bother any PC users when they use advertising slogans like: "I'm 4 years old and I'm a PC"- I've seen a lot of 4 year olds, and most are still eating crayons and are mesmerized by "Barney". Just saying...

Now let's move on to some real hot topic debates- like Creationism -vs- Evolution, Republicans -vs- Democrats, CorelDRAW -vs Illustrator, Ford -vs- Chevy, mahl stick -vs- handover, paint -vs- quicky sticky, brushscript -vs- old english...

PS- "I'm 41 years old and I'm a Mac!" (Despite my Mac bigot tendencies, my bald head gives away the fact that I also use PCs on a regular basis.)

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1736 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and so Todd,

In the beginning of 2007 age 64, I didn't want to work as much and dropped a couple of my accounts to help my family as well as take care of some loose ends in my world as back then I foreseen the economy change during the Bush administration and wondered why I should pay for my 06 Scion which I owed around eight grand on. So it was then that I decided that the tools I needed would have to be of a value in which they wouldn't cost me more money in the long haul. I sold my Scion XB for 12 grand which got 30 mpg but cost me $300 a month and I actually made money on it because I paid less then 12 for it a year before. While down in L.A. I emptied a storage unit I had for years and uncovered my lowered, bilstein equipped 1989 Mercedes 300CE coupe' ( same car Patrick Swayze had in Road House ) which has leather, sunroof and all the creature features of most luxury cars of today and yet cruises at much higher speeds, corners like a Mercedes and still gets 27mpg but has been paid for years back. I knew that whatever I needed for the coming economy would put me into a different situation and therefore drastic changes would have to be made that wouldn't actually change my lifestyle.

Like I tell everyone who asks, I have everything money could buy and everything I have is paid for and no longer do I want

--------------------

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here we go again. It really boils down to what you are used to. Both PC people and Mac people defend the reasons for their decision of which platform to purchase.

I grew up on Macs. I'm used to them and I love their operating system. I'm not into gaming, and everything I need except for ArtCam and Estimate is available for the Mac. This is why I run Windows on my Mac, for ArtCam, Quickbooks, and Estimate.

5 years ago I bought a PC because I wanted to switch to Quickbooks for Windows. The Mac version at the time did not have integrated payroll. The payroll portion was an add on from a different company that didn't work well.

Anyway, here we are 5 years later and the Dell PC is dying. The repair tech said the machine is designed for about 5 years of use. Well they planned the obsolescence well. I've already replaced the hard drive once, had to upgrade the video card (needed bigger one for 3D modeling) and the power supply (too small for bigger hard drive and Wacom tablet), have bought a slew of anti virus software, and spent a lot of time maintaining the PC.

So yes Glen, my Macs are more productive and don't end up costing me as much more as you'd like to think. No Anti virus software to buy, load, run, and my 8 year old Mac is still running the plotter without having to put a nickle into it. All of my old Macs still run great and all of them ran for at least 8 years before I bought another one.

A couple other things, Apple OS - $129.... Apple has always had one OS that would do everything, no home, business, ultimate, or pro versions. And they have an upgrade coming out. $29!!! Ever see Microsoft run those kind of prices?

And Adobe Illustrator, which is my program of choice, runs much smoother on my Mac. I've tried everything suggested here on this board and the mouse on my Mac, in Illustrator, just runs so much smoother than on the PC.

Edit: Oh... and what Michael said. He said it so much better and so much funnier than I ever could. [Applause] [Applause]

[ August 25, 2009, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: Dave Sherby ]

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I sure as heck don't hear about PC users trying to figure out how to run OS X on their computers......"

Jon- that is a great point. I never thought about that, but I would suspect that when one works so hard just to get one operating system working correctly, the mere thought of running 2 is unthinkable.

Plus- I think that OS X is Linux based, too many issues with the Windows platform to allow it operate the way it was designed.

Gotta run, my shop PC just decided that it didn't want to play nice with Corel X3 and just randomly deleted some of the registry files or something like that- guess I might have to enroll at ITT Tech after all.

--------------------
Michael Clanton
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794

Posts: 1736 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Well, I could toast my bread by simply placing it on top of my pc laptop it got so hot...

I will say this: My MacBook Pro stays pretty cool considering I don't see any major vent/fans on it...I guess it blows out a skinny slot at the back of the computer...but it's sooo thin that it really is quite amazing that it doesn't overheat.

I guess I'm kinda like Doug... I don't hate either. I know the Mac is a solid system, yet I kinda like windows better - - but admittedly because I'm more familiar with it.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Curtis, I'm just teasing. Its fun razz'n Mac users. They're such a sensitive bunch. [Razz]

Just a few observations....

I've had Macs before. Can't say I'm been all that impressed. Some of the cutesy stuff is fun for about 5 minutes, but after that it gets annoying.

I think what started turning me off on Macs is when a local printer called me needing help with his Mac. The 3.5" floppy had died. I figured no big deal. I've replaced them on PCs easily costing me no more than $35 tops. Anyhow, we pulled the case off his Mac to get the drive out. Couldn't do it. It was soldered into the system. The printer called the nearest Apple repair center 50 miles away. They wanted $600 to fix it.

Then the iMacs came out. One of my employees bought one for $1200 and just bragged about how cool it was. Then the built-in DVD drive failed under warranty. So she packed it up and sent it off. It was two weeks before she got it back. Then the monitor died. It was gone for another two weeks. Within 2 years it was just a paperweight.

Same thing happened to an acquaintance of mine. Only his monitor died twice within a year's time.

Stuff like this is one reason why I'm not a big fan of all-in-one machines of any type or brand.

As for speed and functionality, I'm just as productive on one as I am the other. At the moment I'm using a PC with a quad-core, 8 gigs of ram and a 64bit OS for less than a $1000. I run PS-cs4 at the same time with CorelX4 while jamm'n to some Andrés Segovia and the computer doesn't blink.

Needed to add a new HD storage recently so I drove down to the local Best Buy and got an internal 1T hard drive for $100. Dropped it into the bay and was ready to roll. I really don't like having all of these USB devices with their cords all hanging out every which way. External HDs don't seem to have a good track record all though the two that I own have done well.

For me the ease of use is about the same between the two OS. I do like navigating for files in Windows better than I do Mac. But I think the main thing for me is that if anything goes wrong, my down time on a PC is going to be less than on a Mac and its something I can fix on my own rather easily.

But anyway that's just me.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the early 90's I returned to college to earn an Industrial Design Degree. We had a class which required us to do some word processing so we had an intro to the computer training session. Now the library at the time had a bank of PC's in one area and the newfangled Apple Mac computers in another room. The teacher said we could use either one but she only showed us how to run a PC. So she took us into the PC area and showed us how to type in some crazy characters that would swith the machine from DOS to Windows I think. I was so confused with the whole semi-colon backslash commands I didn't know what to hell she was talking about? She said there was some program on the Mac that showed you how to use them if we were interested.

So, I walked over to the Mac and it had an onscreen program that went through and explained the mouse and how to drag and drop stuff. Then it explained how the hard drive was like a file cabinet and it was all very simple to understand and use. GUI heaven.

A little bit later I found myself in my first Graphic Design class and the lab next to it was running only Mac's using illustrator, photoshop, pagemaker, and QuarkXpress.

So the Mac was easier to use (for me) at that time and if I was to do any serious Graphic Design work (and wanted to pass the class)I needed to learn the Mac OS and Adobe stuff.

At the same time I was working my way through college in a sign shop which used PC's, Corel,Signlab I think, and it always seemed clunky and over-technical. Oh and the marvel that was the Gerber IV-B!

I bought my first Mac back in 1993 and have been using them ever since. I had a laptop that the hard drive crapped out on but I believed that was from being dropped at one point. Other than that not many problems. And I too do not enjoy fixing or working on computers and all that goes with virus prevention! I'd rather be sniffing fumes!

I use PC's with XP (no talk of upgrading to whatever they are trying to sell these days!)at work and can't understand how anyone can think it's easier to find stuff on a PC. We have a large network and I can't find anything on the whole G F Z drives?? My 1 year old HP desktop is already prompting I/O disc errors on restarts. The tech guys said it might need to be replaced!

Currently, I am running a pre-intel mac laptop at home and haven't seen the need to upgrade to a machine that will run windows. If I were doing more 3D work maybe?

Oh, I did work at a rapid prototyping shop for 3 years and we did a lot of prototypes for Compaq computers at the time. I sat in on a lot of crash and burn sessions with the engineers trying to make the latest greatest hardware fit inside the case of a laptop and desktop. Tossing last minute changes together into a unit and hoping it all works together....what a cluster!

have fun with your Mac Joey.....welcome to the Jungle.

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Glenn Taylor:
[QB] Curtis, I'm just teasing. Its fun razz'n Mac users. They're such a sensitive bunch. [Razz]

Mac users aren't a sensitive bunch, we're more like missionaries but the natives just don't want to see the light. [Rolling On The Floor]

Actually what you PeeCee users don't know is we're actually chuckling rather profusely when we see all the posts about what you have to do for security, and all the complaints about, "my PC doesn't see my hardware, I lost my root commands, where do you get drivers for everything".

It's a good thing that you can quickly get parts for PC's. You need them a lot.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Dave, its like looking for parts for your Chevy, the salvage yards are full of them.

I understand the dilemma perfectly

PC's are like string, every YoYo gotta have one

BTW, I also have a Chevy and a PC but also a Mercedes and a MAC

--------------------

Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Hehehe....Why Macs suck.

[Razz]

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

-

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know its all in fun...

Lets see here..

MAC has seagate drives
PC same thing

MAC has Ethernet.
PC same thing

MAC uses cool graphics cards.
PC same thing.

MAC has usb.
So does PC.

MAC has intel chips.
So does a PC.

Actually they both use the very same hardware from the very same suppliers.
Same plastic. Same steel. Same glass.

The only difference is the OS..
That's it. Just a philosophy. Just some code.
Just a load of one's and zero's made on a disk of magnetic material.

Good luck and rave one....

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And the Zune has taken the world by storm!

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish we could still talk about health care. This drivel is old.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

And iPhones explode.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

LOL, David. Of course, now we know why Canadian Healthcare can't afford MRI machines.

[Razz]

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

I think this photo is a little more accurate

-

--------------------
Michael Clanton
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!