Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » D' Plane, D'Plane

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: D' Plane, D'Plane
Gerald Lauze'
Visitor
Member # 6443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Lauze'   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Lauze'       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trying to make my dose of creative itch last, I was up till 2am last night get this model to this point.

It's out of foam, and for this size & detail I will not use foam again. Pretty much a run-what-you-brung situation. This will be my practice platform for the Magic Sculpt and Smooth, whichever I'll end up needing.

So here's the work in progress, starting with the CG model, milling of side 1 and the dry fit of the plane. ( yes there's a block of foam holding up a wing..can't have a droopy wing ) Some little bits broke and obviously I haven't installed ailerons and the like yet.

OK..sawdust time..cheers G

-
 -
 -
 -
 -

[ August 24, 2009, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: Gerald Lauze' ]

--------------------
Gerald Lauzé
FeatureWorx Creative Fabrication
206-19148 27th ave
Surrey BC

Posts: 264 | From: Cloverdale ( Surrey ) BC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quit plane'ng and get back to work! [Razz]

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its looking cool Gerald! Back when you posted the pic of the concept art it inspired me to dust out a project I started last spring. I had it about as far as you got yours but then I got distracted by otehr projects and the nice summer weather.

I've always loved the Nautilus Submarine from the movie 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea... although I've never actually seen the whole movie. Anyway that submarine designed by Harper Goff inspired me to create one of my own, in an original design of course. It will be a display piece for my studio. I whittled it on the CNC out of 30 lb Precision Board. I am covering this with a layer of Abracadabra Sculpt. THe beauty of this medium is you can do little bits and pieces as I find time... five minutes here... ten minutes there, allowing the piece fit into my schedule. Its a way to relax and have a little fun while building anotehr cool display piece for my studio.

-

I too have a plane in mind for the next project. Its lived in my head for a long time... just waiting to come out. As you can imagine it is quite different than the little beauty Gerald is building.

Keep us tuned in as the piece progresses!

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Lauze'
Visitor
Member # 6443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Lauze'   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Lauze'       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan,

The sub looks great. I've got to remember to simplify my foam model. Those details get lost in the milling unless I use a super tiny bit.

So this Magic sculpt will stick to it "dry" self, no problem?

Hey, I'm up to a sculpting night* if you are.

*night, day, evening..whichever.

G

--------------------
Gerald Lauzé
206-19148 27th ave
Surrey BC

Posts: 264 | From: Cloverdale ( Surrey ) BC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With Janis working up at the golf pretty much every night an evening of fun sculpting would work great for me. But it has to be soon as the summer season is FAST running out. Tonight is out as I have to pressure wash the pool up at the golf but any other nignt this week works for me.

Bring on the project and I have more than a few ideas herein Yarrow...

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Lauze'
Visitor
Member # 6443

Hey Dan,

The boss says tuesday night would be fine.
Sound good?

Gerald

--------------------
Gerald Lauzé
206-19148 27th ave
Surrey BC

Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Let's do supper and then some sculpt. Gonna be fun!

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Gerald Lauze'
Visitor
Member # 6443

Excellent..so 6ish?

G

--------------------
Gerald Lauzé
206-19148 27th ave
Surrey BC

Brian Ooms
Visitor
Member # 487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Ooms   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Ooms       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks cool...

What are you going to do with it?

--------------------
Brian Ooms for
CVD -Custom Vinyl Designs
Merrillville, In

Posts: 244 | From: Merrillville, IN | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

6osh or a little earlier works well for me.

Mini meet at grampa's TODAY!

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Gerald Lauze'
Visitor
Member # 6443

Brian,

My piece will be a sample for my showroom as well as a piece for my upcoming tradeshow in sept.
www.idswest.com Residential design show, but lots of commercial designers / Architects etc come to the show as well as the public. I hope it goes well...

Dan,

I'll get my stuff together and head on out to Yarrow shortly..probably leave around 4:30 - 5.

Cheers

G

[ August 25, 2009, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: Gerald Lauze' ]

--------------------
Gerald Lauzé
206-19148 27th ave
Surrey BC

Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Staffan   Email Sam Staffan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A night with Dan??? [I Don t Know]

I can hear Gerald now when he goes home.

" Honestly honey the night was going along just fine. I have know idea how I bought a Multi-Cam or why, I just did. It will be delivered next week".

" No I am NOT Drunk! I am walking squiggly on purpose,...You don't need to walk straight all the time you know" [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]
[Bash] [Bash] [Bash]

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
721 S. Nokomis St. Mackinaw City, MI
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1694 | From: Mackinaw City, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Lauze'
Visitor
Member # 6443

The night was quite productive. Maybe a bit more for Dan than me but I did learn how to use the Abracadabra medium a bit more, though more practice will be needed. I'll post pics in a few days when the plane has more to show. My plane has basically half a wing detailed while Dan got a sign finished and managed to cover quite a few square inches of his sub with gnarly plates and rivets.
While Dan may have the nickname "grampa" he certainly doesn't move like one.

Sam, Dan's multicam is nice but I have my AXYZ and I'm happy with it. And ther was no beer drinkin..Wasn't necessary.

Thanks Dan for your generosity. I hope to have another one of these sculpting nights soon.

Cheers..I'm off to bed

Gerald

--------------------
Gerald Lauzé
206-19148 27th ave
Surrey BC

Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

I really appreciated Gerald taking time from his busy schedule to come visit here in Yarrow. His little plane is looking awesome! Gerald quickly figured out how things work with the Abradabra Sculpt - and like all new mediums was a little fristrated at first but quickly figured out how to make his hands do what his brain had in mind. While I made a little more progress on my pieces it wasn't the first time I used the medium. [Smile]

We had a great time visiting and talking 'signs' the whole evening too. I'm hoping it will be but the first of many evenings we can spend together.

Mini meets at grampa's are fun in Yarrow...

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Jon Peterman
Visitor
Member # 528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Peterman   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Peterman       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heres a couple of my 10 minute magic sculpt projects. the dragonfly has been in the works for over 3 years,
and the bee was inspired by Dan's bee awhile back and my shark logo is the most recent.

-

-

-

-

--------------------
Jon Peterman
200 Summit Loop
Grants Pass, OR
--------------------
a.k.a. dc-62
success is in Jesus Christ

Posts: 434 | From: grants pass or. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gerald, I'm not sure how a stack of big rivets will affect the aerodynamics of your 'plane...but I'm sure it'll look great!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Lauze'
Visitor
Member # 6443

My rivets will be innies..lol

I have a bit more done but it's mainly prep work. But I had a wee setback; I had an allergic reaction to something last week..dunno what. Well, one eye puffed over, lips and ears burned and were a nice shade of purple and I was scratch-to-blood itchy ALL over for 4 days. Like I said I have no idea what I reacted to since I'm around all sorts of nastyish stuff. I hoped hard that it wasn't the epoxy sculpt and so far I've used it a few more times. no reaction. I like creative itches way better.

I did my first paying job tonight with the Smooth, which is also the first time I stuck my fingers in it. works great. I had a bit extra and spread it on some bare foam plane parts and it's 2 thumbs up.

I hope to get crackin on some detail of the plane real soon.

Cheers

G

[ September 01, 2009, 02:44 AM: Message edited by: Gerald Lauze' ]

--------------------
Gerald Lauzé
206-19148 27th ave
Surrey BC

Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ordinary epoxy resin (araldite) if not mixed properly, and then accidentally got in the eye, will make it horribly swollen...

I repaired a wooden toy truck in the 70s for one of my younger brothers - & glued a wheel back on. He was about 3 or 4 then. There was a tad of unmixed glue somewhere on it that hadn't set when he played with it the next day, and he got a bit on his hand, and then into his eyes, and then he was off to the doctor as it looked like he'd done a few rounds with Cassius Clay.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!