Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Scratching our creative itch and making money too

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scratching our creative itch and making money too
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most sign shops are willing to do the least amount possible while fighting with all the other shops around them over who will do the project for the cheapest. It’s not a good business plan in my view.

For the most part each of us got into the sign business because we all have a creative itch that needs to be scratched. Making signs is one way to do that. And yet the sign industry has become something else entirely. In most sign shops folks sit at a computer typing words out on a computer and then send it for output on another machine. Those who seek to do a little better may insert some clipart now and then.

Most signs we see around us are square and flat with the same old fonts and clipart used that everyone else uses... not very creative in my view.

To make things even worse we often are competing with those around us to see who will do all this and do it for the least amount of money. Most of our markets are crowded with too many simply trying to survive.

As I see it, not many folks in the sign industry are getting their creative itches scratched nor are they making much money. Something has to change! And change is up to each of us.

The 'normal' sign business is a crowded place where folks with even the slightest interest in art seem to think they can make a go of it. Computers and modern software have made it easier than ever.

Rather than throw up our hands and moan about the state of the business I would encourage those with the passion to learn and get better to do exactly that. Do you work hard improving your skills on a daily basis? Do the signs you are making today look like the ones you made last week... or last year? If so you may be in rut of your own making - one travelled by the bulk of the folks in this business.

Stay where you are producing common work that our market doesn't seem to put much value to... or seek to distance yourself from normal and get into a 'lonely market' which is much more challenging and fun - and profitable. We all are exactly where we have chosen to be. We have to buck up and take responsibility for it. The little decisions we purposely make each day will affect us for years to come.

If it were easy and quick - everyone would do it ( like has happened in the 'normal' sign industry). I have absolutely no fear of competition for the work we do is labor intensive, requires time to learn and build a market for. If someone decided to emulate my business, by the time they got to where I currently am I will hopefully be light years ahead by then.

You will be tomorrow what you decide to do (and work towards) today. We get what we settle for.

Scratching my itch in Yarrow...

-grampa dan

[ August 12, 2009, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad you moved your commentary over here Dan, as I was feeling like I have deviated from the subject Cam's original post. I'm going to move my comments here as well.

I agree with a lot of what you say Dan. I know how hard you have worked to get where you are, the risks you have taken, the lean times you have lived through. Do you deserve to be where you are today - unquestionably, you have earned it.

I don't think just anyone could do that, though. It takes a special kind of personality to be able to take the risks you have taken on your way up. Something drives and fuels the incredible energy you have ( besides that carbonated red cylinder )you are gutsy and defiant (DAN) and not much is likely to stand in your way of your goals. Some people don't have that confidence or the courage to break the rules, perhaps their morals are different (not necessarily better but different). So far as I know, your spouse has been supportive of you through thick and thin. That is a HUGE bonus! We live in a country with a health system, that though imperfect and frustrating in many ways makes serious illness of a family member much more doable without completely depleting our personal resources. So I agree with David you are lucky. I am too. [Smile]
Circumstance plays a big part in who we are and where we go, especially as children. Our upbringing, the behaviour of our peers, a traumatic experience, a loved one's illness, the way our brains are wired and many other factors all play a role in our personalities and abilities.
I don't really like the phrase "You get what you settle for", because all kinds of other factors play into life. For those who are going though hard times, which a lot are, I think it can be interpreted as "It's your own fault." (I know it wasn't meant that way) and there is already too much guilt in this situation.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tough times and circumstances beyond our control affect us all... even (or perhaps I should say ESPECIALLY) at our house. The last few years have been tough here too. Our business actually lost money last year - probably much more than many shops go forward in a good year. That's life.

Thankfully we have been able to weather this storm but not without a few scars and much trepidation. It's been disheartening and often downright scary too. While we see light at the end of the tunnel it seems we are still very much in the dark at times. But I am confident things are and will continue to improve.

We used the slow times as an opportunity to build our business in a new direction. In spite of very little paying work we still came out to the shop each day and worked hard to build samples, develop new techniques and chart our future direction. I am very confident when good times return -and they will - that we will have positioned ourselves to be stronger than ever and with a unique product that has few competitors to drag the price down.

The point of my post is to encourage others to not only survive this tough period but to work towards shaping their businesses to something they will enjoy more and hopefully make more money doing.

Since the sign industry isn't likely to change anytime soon its up to each of us to change OUR DIRECTION within the industry.

While I am very fortunate to be surrounded by family who supports me and while I certainly get my share of breaks I don't buy into the 'lucky dan' scenerio. I certainly didn't feel ucky this past spring when I was laid up for many weeks with a bad back unable to even move - never mind work.

I believe we all have much more in us than we like to admit, more creativity, more abilities, more energy... we just have to resolve to go there... and then actually pull it off.

You will be tomorrow what you decide to do (and work towards) today.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Beach
Visitor
Member # 9850

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Beach   Email Dan Beach       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan Sawatzky:
We all are exactly where we have chosen to be. We have to buck up and take responsibility for it.

High five Dan! [Smile]

I've been saying exactly that for awhile now. Not exactly a popular sentiment for people in a situation they don't want to be in.

I have found that affirming this then continually working towards where you want to go makes you a much happier person.

--------------------
Dan Beach
Cylinder 9 Designs
1650 Glassboro Rd
Sewell, NJ 08080

Posts: 625 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Thompson
Visitor
Member # 2395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Thompson   Author's Homepage   Email David Thompson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan I hope you did'nt take the "Lucky" thing the wrong way on the other thread, maybe I should have chose a better word.

I certainly did'nt mean that you have not worked hard for your talent and skills. What I meant was that because of your work and effort, you have created a market that most sign shops can't provide, in turn due to your efforts I feel (for a lack of a better word) you are lucky in that you don't have 20 shops in the area that will or can undercut prices.

I appologize if you took my lucky comment differently than what I meant. It was a compliment.

--------------------
David Thompson
Pro-Line Graphics
Martinsville, NJ

I'm not this dumb, it's just the paint fumes talkin'

Posts: 396 | From: Martinsville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David I certainly took no offence at your comment. My post was simply to reinforce your statement. I strongly believe (as I posted) that we all make choices through each day that determine who we are and what we become.

I read endless comments here from sign folks complaining about the prices they are forced to compete with by others in their area who are willing to work for nothing. It's not going to get better in the sign business - especially with more and more businesses all the time who are creating sign businesses on the web. The sign world HAS CHANGED.

It is no different in our town... I just choose not to play their game. I still want to be in the sign business but simply play a different game.

The point of my strongly worded post was to state my belief that there is a choice for each of us. The signs we design and create in our shop are not that hard to do if we choose to work to aquire the skills. I am not suggesting for a second others need to adopt my particular style... but rather adapt their style fo sign work that is unique to them. There is a market for quality dimensional signs just about everywhere. It is not as large a market by any means, but with few other competitors there are far less people biting into the same piece of pie.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, even now I am expaning my "Pallette of Services". I'm out in the shop doing two airbrushed murals and they will get a clear coat when they are done. I usually shy away from real airbrused murals, but a customer bought in a bike that had a mural on that kinda sucked. I thought, "Surely, even with my bad eyes, I could do a much better job than that" So once again, I'm sticking my neck out and giving it a try.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are Pulenty of sign shops making good money just churning out Vinyl, I am not one of them, yes we are a Very Busy Shop, We keep 5 guys going all the time... not an easy task... I was a small part of a Fast Signs Franchise years ago and went to many conventions, they have their act together, a Lot of these shops did a Million bux a year but the average was around 400-500k... you can make money doing mundane jobs, Don't kid yourself.. But to turn over that Kind of money takes Guts, you have to Hire people, and that is not for everyone, or the faint of heart.

I have plans for my business, I'm working on them, Do I get Larger? Invest in new Equipment, bigger Shop? or do I downsize... and go Homebased...It all looks apealling, depends on who you are.
Not Everyone has the Natural and I'm sure Learned Talent that you have Dan, and some don't want it, does that make them less creative? I think a big challenge can be met, and satisfied doing Digial work, just ask anyone who works at Pixar or an Advertising/ marketing firm.. do'nt know, maybe I'm just rambling here...

One thing that is certain I enjoy your Enthusiasm, and love reading your posts,keep them coming.

[ August 13, 2009, 07:33 AM: Message edited by: Neil D. Butler ]

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bryan Quebodeaux
Visitor
Member # 48

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bryan Quebodeaux   Author's Homepage   Email Bryan Quebodeaux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan I appreciate your words of enthusiasm. As I have posted before on another thread we too are experiencing the effects of the economy. Although it is not dead here.....our figures are off from this time in previous years. In the past when things became a little slow I used that time to research and develop new areas to venture off into. One key to our survival thus far is diversification. In the past I never hesitated to dive into a new field simply because it was just your typical slow time. This is a little different. Although I believe there is light at the end of the tunnel...I hope it's not a train!

I have been pondering the purchase of Enroute 4 Pro to compliment our router and offer services that I know no one in this area is providing. I just haven't convinced myself that now is the right time to do so with the economy in the shape it's in. In any case, everyone's experience and advice will be taken. Thank you for the post!

--------------------
Edge-LE & FX ,VersaCamm SP-540, Epson 9600, Envision 375, Sabre 408, OmegaCP 2.02, Adobe CS2,

Bryan Quebodeaux
DeSign Works
Church Point, LA
337-684-6058
bryanq@designworks1.com
www.designworks1.com
http://www.myspace.com/design_works

Posts: 167 | From: Church Point, La. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Moser
Visitor
Member # 6526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Moser   Email Jim Moser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For many years my work has been vehicle graphics.... Pinstriping, Lettering, Flames, etc.....mostly painted. There have been the occasional signs and logo designs, but I have preferred working on cars, boats, motorcycles, and airplanes.

Lately I have been expanding my horizons into the world of print graphics... catalogs, brochures, product photography. (Bought a new digital camera) This has allowed me to stay busy when I might not have been otherwise.

In these crazy economic times it certainly helps to have a few other tricks up your sleeve. I'm even doing some fabrication and machine work for a friend who builds custom motorcycles.....

I recently found a new favorite saying which I think speaks to the attitude necessary to survive today.....

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain !"

Being gratefully busy in Grass Valley.....
Jim

[ August 13, 2009, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: Jim Moser ]

--------------------
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain !
Jim Moser Design
13342 C Grass Valley Ave.
Grass Valley, Ca. 95945
530-273-7615 jwmoser@att.net

Posts: 488 | From: Grass Valley, Ca. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

There's certainly nothing wrong with 'churning out vinyl signs' especially if you can make 'plenty of money'. But I would bet that there are a totally different set of job skills required if you have multiple employees.

Back when we had 22 employees my job became one of management. I had to make sure everyone knew their job, had the necessary supplies and tools, and that all the other trades were there when they were supposed to be. I was in endless meetings with my clients, lining up new work and of course putting out endless fires. THat was my job. I still managed to do all the concept design by putting in long hours.

I had a wonderful crew, good clients, and cool projects. We did some amazing jobs. But it was stressful and while I got to oversee some very imaginative projects my hands didn't get dirty very often. Most of it was built by others - not me.

Then we started taking on more than one project - even in different cities at the same time. We were even seriously thinking about going truely international for a while and setting up a branch office in the US - no small undertaking financially. We were making fantastic money - but while my crew was busy making the things I would have loved to do, I personally wasn't doing the kind of work I really wanted to do and truly enjoyed.

We made a concious decision to go smaller once more. I've never regreted it.

Running a small shop and doing creative things is a whole different animal from running a bigger business. Being competitive can be more difficult - especially if you are up against competition who is prepared to operate with much smaller margins for the similar work. I have found it is much more profitable (and enjoyable) to do something no one else around me can do.

The things I state above are based on years of experience. It's what has worked for me. Each of us has to follow the path of our own choosing - and take the responsibility for our choices too.

I am grateful for all the opportunities I've had in Yarrow (and elsewhere)...

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After meeting you, Dan, in Pontiac, Illinois for the first time, sitting next to you on a scaffold and painting a mural on a wall, I have to say it was one of the most exciting and inspiring times I have had in the sign business.

You took the time to sit and talk to me about your projects, motivations, and being creative. I was ready to move to Canada and go 3Dimensional!

My little girl came up with my wife to visit and stay the weekend and you got her up on the scaffold and let her paint. She was thrilled.
Dan, you know what matters most. It's not the fame, or the money or the biggest 3D projects you can dream up. You've got it figured out and you aren't afraid to share your joy.

Thanks Dan for the POSITIVE things that you do and for inspiring us to strive to do better work.

I love making creative signs and your influence has pushed me to new levels. Working with you in Pontiac was just what I needed to keep growing and learning new methods and improve my craft.

You just stay the course Dan and you'll be fine.
But you already have figured that out and have moved on to the next fun and creative idea that you have dreamed up!

Sign-cerely inspired, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 870 | From: 2718-b Grovelin Godfrey, Illinois 62035 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget the horn, Dan.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathy Weeks
Resident

Member # 10828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy Weeks   Email Kathy Weeks       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just want to say, "Thanks" Dan, for this thread! I too, get stuck in a rut, and feel boxed in by churning out banners and vinyl graphics just to pay the bills. I occasionally get fun painting/lettering jobs that are more profitable and make me feel creative - it's a good feeling. This thread re-enforces my thoughts of working towards getting more of those creative jobs as a great thing - it's a good kick in the bum. Those jobs are going to keep me challenged and happier, in the long run.
I love the smell of One Shot in the morning!
Kath

--------------------
Kathy Weeks
Weeks-End Signs & Graphics
Lake Elmo, Minnesota

Posts: 249 | From: Lake Elmo, Minnesota | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!